Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New job, new challenges, new commute--life is good

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New job, new challenges, new commute--life is good

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 05:18 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new job! Nothing any better than being able to "relax" a bit. Stress is not good. Good luck getting everything worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 05-22-16, 05:23 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I got a new job about a month ago, and my commute is about 2 miles one way now. When I started bike commuting it was about 6 miles one way, and I did that s - 4 days a week for about 7 years. Then my office moved and my commute was just under 4 miles for almost 2 years, and now I'm starting an hour earlier. All this means I have to hustle more to get out of my condo on time, and get to work feeling like I'm just getting started. I could ride more by taking the long way home, but I haven't done that yet.
My move for work was a huge move up for me and has kept me too busy to ride some days, especially on those days when I need my car to carry stuff to my new office. So I can relate to your joy and pain tsl, and wish you well in your new commute.
Old 05-25-16, 03:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm glad you like your new job and commute!

I think the fixed gear suggestion is worth a try. In a sufficiently low ratio, you should be plenty safe. Try 60 inches or maybe even less.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-25-16, 06:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
A few weeks ago, someone asked me how many bike commuters I thought there were in town. I joked that sometimes I thought I was the only one, before telling then that due to my schedule--going to work just after lunch, and coming home just after dinner--I seldom saw any. There's a guy in the bike club, another BFer, and a handful of people I've run into from the University over the years.

The new job has me commuting in morning rush hour, and there are times you can't swing a cat without hitting a bike commuter. At the "Four Corners" of downtown this morning, waiting for the light, bike commuters outnumbered cars--at least in the northbound lanes. We had a little mini-conference there waiting for it to change, comparing job locations, facilities and whatnot.

Earlier, passing through the cemetery, I found that someone had forgotten to unlock the Elmwood Ave gates. Another commuter was coming along parallel to the fence, I told him the gates were locked, and he kept right on going.

Clearly he knows something I don't, I thought. So I turned to follow him. Down where the cemetery borders the University, someone had knocked a few of the iron "pickets" out of the fence--just enough that if you dismount, you can wiggle your bars through. I won't be informing the City of this.

Remounting, I asked him where he worked, "The laser lab," he said. Meaning he's a physicist working at the Laboratory of Laser Energetics. That's Laser Fusion to you and me. Yikes! He certainly knows many things I don't.
Old 05-26-16, 09:07 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Who's going to take over the bike trailer you put together for the library? That seems like too good an idea for it to just be abandoned due to your moving to a different job.
Old 05-26-16, 10:22 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
congrats

I want to echo the congrats on the new job as well. I am trying to find different work but so far not been successful.

what about the library trailer?
Old 05-26-16, 01:40 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by no motor?
Who's going to take over the bike trailer you put together for the library? That seems like too good an idea for it to just be abandoned due to your moving to a different job.
It was never entirely my job. I'm only one of several who shared outreach duties with it, so the others can take up the slack. In fact, I sold my trailer hitch to my (former) boss to put on his bike so he doesn’t have to use the beater bike that was donated to the library.

There's also a second unit under construction (my club provided the grant money), and a third is being talked about.

I am going to miss yanking it around town. It was a lot of fun.

Old 05-26-16, 01:49 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
yeah, you have the option to take a longer route, but in practice i've found that i almost never actually take it.

since moving two years ago, my commute to work went from 15 miles one way down to just 5 miles one-way.

i can count on one hand the number of times i've actually taken a longer commute route just for the fun of it.

when my commute was 15 miles one-way i had no choice but to rack up the miles. i was a lot fitter back then.

Well you did have a baby when you moved. So that trumps a lot of things.
Old 05-26-16, 01:52 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i'm not saying that i'd necessarily like to live further from work than i currently do (particularly not on those bitterly cold january mornings), i was just pointing out that the "you can always take the long way home" mantra hasn't actually shaken out for me since we moved, giving me a radically shorter commute. though in my case, the move also coincided with (and was prompted by) my wife and i welcoming our first two children into the world, so my priorities regarding how i spend my free time have also radically changed. if we were still childless, perhaps i would take advantage of the long way home more often.

i wasn't really complaining about having a 5 mile commute, more just pointing out the reality that just because you can take a longer route doesn't mean that you necessarily will. when i lived 15 miles from work i didn't have much of a choice in the matter, i either biked the 15 miles to work or i would have needed a new job.
And there are the kids.

I think that with kids a commute of 5-7 miles is perfect. It gets enough exercise to not go crazy but not having to spend too much extra time and not being too exhausted for family duties. 5-7 miles of city driving is about the same amount of time as my (former) 5-7 miles city riding.

There were mornings the family were out of town and I was able to tack on the extra miles and I enjoyed it.
Old 05-27-16, 01:32 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Congrats! I hope you acclimate quickly to the new job and work hours. Change is often a mixed blessing, with both pluses and minuses. I hope your co-workers and boss are the best! I always thought Rochester seemed pretty nice.... except for the weather. I enjoyed my six year stay in graduate school back in the 80s. Except for the weather :-)
Old 06-21-16, 04:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but prompted by this thread:

Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in. This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home. It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit. Since March 6, through June 4, I have been engaged with a fitness challenge at work. This past week, I rode about 150 miles, via extended commuting routes, and still am in fourth place (of about 40 participants), neck and neck for third place.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You must WIN, Jim. Do whatever it takes ... must win...
Thanks for your encouragement, @Phil_gretz. The Challenge ended on June 4, and I came in third place of about 40 participants, and our team came in first, by a hair-breadth (see graph below; the team standings are at the top from highest upward to lowest, and the top ten individual participants below).

Those standings were released every week, and the competition was very motivating with very beneficial effects. Now that it’s over I am trying to ride at least about 150 miles per week through the summer; 147 miles last week.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (77.5 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-22-16 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 08:07 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I'm no longer with the City's public library. While I joked before that I was only a bureaucrat, working now in a cubicle, pushing paper and nudging pixels for the Bureau of Parking, I'm well and truly a bureaucrat.

Hey, I remember you! Strangely, I left my job at the library too, about three weeks ago. It was a strange decision to make... I wasn't sure I would be happy without the library but I couldn't keep up two jobs any more. But it was definitely the right decision, I didn't realize how tired I was until I could start going straight home at 4:30pm every day and stay home on Saturdays!

So I'm a full-time chair squasher now too. I hope things are still working out well for you after it's been four weeks since you made the change. How is it going?

Jessica in STL
Old 06-21-16, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@tsl how do you like the new job and commute?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-21-16, 07:29 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by College3.0
I wasn't sure I would be happy without the library but I couldn't keep up two jobs any more. But it was definitely the right decision, I didn't realize how tired I was until I could start going straight home at 4:30pm every day and stay home on Saturdays!
Hi Jessica!

I too wasn't sure I'd like it outside of libraryland. But jeepers it's nice. Quiet too without all the kids and teens running around. Haven't yet had a fistfight, knife fight or a shooting. So that's a plus.

As for tired, I was exhausted by the end of the week before. Now I'm not. I'm not sure what to do with all the time I'm not napping.

Originally Posted by noglider
@tsl how do you like the new job and commute?
Hi Tom!

The commute isn't that much different from before. I use my hills, parks, cemetery and trails route to work most mornings. Just shy of nine miles, and the hills wake me right up. The last half-mile is through the concrete canyons of downtown, which is nice for a change.

The ride home is pretty much the same as I used to do, only I start three miles downstream, so I get in 16 miles instead of 13. And after crossing the river at the falls in the pic in the OP, that ride starts in the concrete canyons, before jumping on the river path, which is a completely different vibe.

As for the job, it's been 16 or 17 years since I worked in cubicleland. Funny how it all came right back. The job is mainly accounting and administration of the city's ramp garages. Mainly sit at my desk, stamp checks, update accounts, turn on (and off) parking passes. Oh, and look out the window at my bike locked to a signpost outside.

It's a cakewalk compared to the Fort Apache that was the library.

As I predicted after the interview, I've become the bike locker czar. Last week they dumped the whole bike locker mess on me. It's been exceedingly low priority.
  • Nobody knows which ones or how many are in use.
  • Nobody knows when the last time was that anyone was billed.
  • Nobody knows who is on the waiting list, what order, or for how long they've been there.
So I have to sort that all out. Which also means chances are very good that I'll get a bike locker for myself out of the deal.
Old 06-23-16, 02:09 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear that you're enjoying your job. It makes it much easier to get up each morning when you enjoy what you do. And those falls are very pretty!

I have the opposite problem. I went from a 7 mile commute (perfect) to a 3 mile commute (a little short) to a 17 mile commute (a bit too long). It's just too far time-wise. I don't have 90 minutes on either side of an 8.5 hour shift to do the rides, and my office is on the top of the highest hill in the county, so I end the ride with a 250ft climb over 1/3 mile or so (although I can hit 45mph+ coming down).
Old 06-23-16, 02:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@spivonious, can you put your bike in the car, ride home from work one day and then ride into work the next?

Old 06-24-16, 07:43 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@spivonious, can you put your bike in the car, ride home from work one day and then ride into work the next?

I've thought about it, but I need my car in the evenings most days (various band rehearsals/concerts, etc). My commute was the main time I ride my bike, and I really miss it.
Old 07-03-16, 09:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I can hardly wait to get on the road in the morning, and all day I can look at my bike locked outside, thinking of the ride home.
+1, that's it, right there