Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

To ride or not to ride

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

To ride or not to ride

Old 08-10-16, 02:49 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
To ride or not to ride

I've rode to work all week so far. Tomorrow there is suppose to be a 15% chance of rain on the way there. 25% chance on the way back and thunder storms while i'm at work. Have any of you rode in a thunderstorm? I'll probably decide tomorrow morning, but what would you do?
Old 08-10-16, 03:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
I've rode to work all week so far. Tomorrow there is suppose to be a 15% chance of rain on the way there. 25% chance on the way back and thunder storms while i'm at work. Have any of you rode in a thunderstorm? I'll probably decide tomorrow morning, but what would you do?
Honestly 15-25% chance of rain wouldn't phase me. But frankly it's better to not ride in thunder storms - watch the radar and go when it has passed, even if it means half an hour or an hour more at work. I've done it before, quite a bit in some years, and although you'd probably be fine it's still a foolish risk.
Old 08-10-16, 05:52 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I can only wish that we might have a 25% chance of rain in the forecast.
Weeks of 100F+ in south central texas.
Ride On !
Old 08-10-16, 07:01 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Doppler radar is your friend. If I decided not to ride every time the forecast was 25% or more, I would get in maybe 4 rides a year. I ride regardless of the forecast but use radar to time my windows. I have never had to offset my timing by more than 15 minutes, and I get caught in unexpected downpours no more than twice a year.
Old 08-10-16, 07:36 PM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Also, a cycling cap and waterproof vest can make a world of difference. If there's more than a 25% chance, they get tucked in the bag as a just-in-case

Riding in the rain is wonderful
Old 08-10-16, 09:22 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
what would you do?
What would I do?

Ride to work like every other day. My boss wouldn't be amused if I called in on a chance of thunderstorms.

What's important isn't what I'd do, but why are you even considering not cycling?

Rain? Lightning? Being scolded for being out in the wet?

Rain: Before leaving the house, take a shower. If you melt, then stay out of the rain. And watch out for somebody dropping a house on your sister and stealing her shoes. Seriously though, with your forecast tomorrow, you have a 100% chance of getting wet from sweat. A 25% chance of rain? Hell, a 100% chance of rain would be a welcome relief.

Lightning: I'll never put down anyone for a deep psychological fear of lightning. But if it's the ordinary garden variety fright that the Weather Channel trumps up, eff 'em. Statistically, you’re far more likely to get squished by a dump truck in traffic on an ordinary day than you are to be hit by lightning. Yet you wouldn't post on the forum a question whether you should ride if there was a 25% chance of dump trucks on your way home, would you?

Plus, lightning isn't always lethal, even if that's the only time it's newsworthy. My family was tent camping in a water-access only site in Allegheny National Forest on the July 4th weekend in 1971 when we were hit by lightning in a t-storm at dawn. We all lived to tell. Although our dog didn't. And the tent was never the same.

Being scolded for being out in the wet: Eff 'em.

For the record, I don't even bother with a fendered bike if it's only a 25% chance of rain or t-storms.

Last edited by tsl; 08-10-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 09:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Ridden all day with a 80% chance of rain. Never got wet.

Old 08-10-16, 09:38 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Some of my most satisfying rides have been in the rain. To me there's something primal about it; like staring at a campfire.

My normal commute usually involves a podcast through the Bluetooth in one ear. When it rains I ditch the Bluetooth. Not because I don't want to get it wet, but I'd rather listen to the rain.

-Kedosto
Old 08-10-16, 09:44 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
75% chance it won't rain. I like those odds.
Old 08-10-16, 09:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
First of all the odds favor you, especially if you can delay your exit from work while a squall (if there is one) passes. Secondly, rain on a hot summer day isn't a problem, it's a blessing.

If the AM weather looks OK, ride to work, and roll the dice on getting home wet. Having commuted by bike rain or shine for 7 years, I've gotten to work wet countless times. It's no fun, but since I owned the business wasn't an issue. However, getting home wet shouldn't be a problem for anybody.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-10-16, 10:15 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. Twice in the last two weeks. Just get on and ride. Ride a ss/fg so there isn't so much cleanup involved.
Old 08-10-16, 10:59 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm glad that I don't put that much effort into deciding whether I'm going to ride because it "might" rain. I just plan on riding everyday, sometimes I change my mind at the last minute... but never because of rain - my alternative is to ride my 50cc scooter - which doesn't offer anymore protection from rain than a bicycle.
Old 08-10-16, 11:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Not only have I ridden when there was a chance of rain, I've set out when it was already raining. What the hell are you afraid of?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-11-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-11-16, 12:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been caught in t-storms several times, including twice this year. We are in a lightning hot spot but that's not what I worry about. I'm more concerned about drivers around me being blinded by heavy rain, and strong wind gusts.

The last time, back in the spring, I came within a few yards of a dust devil -- a mini tornado -- that pelted me with gravel and shoved me sideways. I had to remove my sunglasses because it was so dark, and didn't have anything else for eye protection. So have pulled over a couple of times for a few minutes until the worst subsided. Usually I'd duck under a business awning or any handy shelter. But both times this year I continued riding despite the rain and thunder, although I prefer to wait until the lightning/thunder interval indicates it's a couple of miles away.
Old 08-11-16, 03:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
When I was in Missouri, I'd periodically get caught in thunder storms. Sometimes I could ride quickly and beat them home. Or, other times delay the departure for 15 minutes and leave after the storm passed.

Rain clothing is good, but often the storms pass, and everything dries out quickly.

The worst was being in the middle of a 50 mile ride when the tornado sirens would go off, and there was nothing to do but keep riding.
Old 08-11-16, 03:28 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
When temperature is below 15 degreees C and there's heavy rain, I don't enjoy cycling. Bet even in such conditions, with a change of clothes, commuting up to 15 km one way is not much of a problem - just feels uncomfortable.

Cycling glasses and a baseball cap to keep rain off one's eyes work fine for me. Riding in heavy rain is no problem.

Wrote this article on bad weather cycling clothing:

https://www.bike.bikegremlin.com/2015...inter-cycling/
Old 08-11-16, 06:13 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Lightening is the only worry I'd have. I have rode in some fairly strong storms. Just watch on the high bridges and know when to stop a minute or two. It is exhilarating feeling to ride the wind, rain and lightening!
Old 08-11-16, 06:28 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
What would you do here?

Old 08-11-16, 07:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Heavy rain can be dealt with but the problem with squalls is wind. I saw a large branch smash an SUV as I rolled by in a parking lot, and had a near miss from a falling tree during one. On another occasion I was directly under the tornado siren when it went off - which is startling but watching the wind and hail when I got under an overpass was even more disconcerting.

I've come across a hundred yards of forest laid out across the path, two trees deep. I was glad that time that I'd watched the radar before setting out. Just exercise caution in looking at the radar first online, wait for the storm to pass through your path and then it should be fine.
Old 08-11-16, 08:13 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Heavy rain can be dealt with but the problem with squalls is wind. I saw a large branch smash an SUV as I rolled by in a parking lot, and had a near miss from a falling tree during one.
considering the fact that over 80% of my commute route is along fully tree-canopied side streets, falling tree limbs are my biggest concern about storm riding as well. i don't exactly enjoy getting caught in storms, but it does happen every once in a while when i feel like rolling the dice.

several years ago during an exceptionally windy storm, a giant limb cracked off an old growth oak and smashed down into the intersection about 50 yards in front of me. that definitely spooked me, so i ducked into an open porch of some random house and waited for the worst of the storm to pass.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 08-11-16 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-11-16, 08:14 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What would you do here?

Look for the nearest bar or coffee shop We called that a good day in the Coast Guard

Riding in the rain is fun, unless it is heavy enough you can't see 10 feet in front of you, but those downpours don't last too long. Had that last week on a group ride and we just pulled off under an awning of a business and waited the worst of it out. Bike will be gritty, so clean it well after.
Old 08-11-16, 08:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I deal with this issue almost every day here during summer months. A 15-25% chance of rain would be a clear day around here and I would probably ride unless I had other compelling reasons to drive. I usually draw the line at about 50% but the forecasters around here are notoriously inaccurate at predicting rain. I have gotten caught in storms when forecasts called for a 0% chance of rain and more frequently we get no rain on days when forecasts are calling for 60-80% chance of rain.

I disagree with those who are downplaying the risks of riding in thunderstorms. The chances of getting hit by lightning might be slim, but your chances of getting hit by cars are not. Visibility is often very poor during heavy rain and drivers are much more likely to not see you. Add to that the risk from high winds, hail, falling limbs, slippery pavement, etc.

My most useful iPhone app is called MyRadar and simply shows radar views of storms. I consult this app frequently, particularly during the afternoons when my ride home is nearing. I often will delay my commute to allow time for a storm to pass and sometimes catch a ride home with coworkers. The worst situations are severe thunderstorms that "train" over the area and can produce rain, flash floods and lightning that last for hours. This happens often enough around here that I am very cautious about riding when radar shows approaching storms.
Old 08-11-16, 09:05 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
My city is urban, so no risk of lightning - buildings are tall.

No risk of trees falling on my head - they're along the sidewalks, but not above most roads.

The streets are lit, I wear hi-viz vest and bright lights, so if drivers would see me in regular night, they should also see me in a thunderstorm.

Wind blows at my back at least 50% of the time. I'm a lucky bastard!

Pavement is no more slippery than in regular rain.
Old 08-11-16, 09:06 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Heavy rain can be dealt with but the problem with squalls is wind. I saw a large branch smash an SUV as I rolled by in a parking lot, and had a near miss from a falling tree during one. On another occasion I was directly under the tornado siren when it went off - which is startling but watching the wind and hail when I got under an overpass was even more disconcerting.

I've come across a hundred yards of forest laid out across the path, two trees deep. I was glad that time that I'd watched the radar before setting out. Just exercise caution in looking at the radar first online, wait for the storm to pass through your path and then it should be fine.
I ride on an MUP that has a lot of large Douglas fir trees. It's not the rain that scares me... it's wind. In that situation, I'll take the roads. Thunderstorms are kind of rare in this area. If they occur, I just have to wait them out.
Old 08-11-16, 09:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I think we've had >=40% chance of rain for the last two weeks. I waited out a nasty thunderstorm before leaving work once last week, but my streak ended today -- I got seriously wet on my way to work. Good thing is, I didn't have to sweat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.