Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rain jacket

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rain jacket

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 02:28 PM
reynoldsarts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rain jacket

Just finished 8 months on the bike. Hit A few nice week long downpours. I have a gore 5 shake dry but it’s not great in cold, has no hood and tight. What’s your favorite rain jacket?
Old 10-26-19, 04:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by reynoldsarts
... What’s your favorite rain jacket?
Marmot Precip. Light weight and very thin so I am less likely to overheat. If it is chilly, it is roomy enough that I can put extra layers under it. Has a hood that I sometimes use in campgrounds but I never wear a hood while on the bike, instead I use a rain cover on the helmet.

They seem to use different colors over time, perhaps annually, but you usually can pick a color that is bold enough so the traffic can see you.

The photos are from different trips, different bikes and different panniers, but the same rain jacket in both photos.

Old 10-26-19, 06:02 PM
reynoldsarts

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Checked it out, great value but I’m lusting for a full hood. Last trip I had 5-7 days of full blast downpours and 20+ mph headwinds.
Old 10-26-19, 09:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
You might want to rethink the hood while riding. Chances are it will interfere with your peripheral vision. I also recommend a helmet cover instead of a hood, although I like having the hood for off-bike use. I've used various rainjackets for light precip but prefer a poncho for real protection in downpours.
Old 10-26-19, 10:32 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a helmet rain cover and a jacket with a hood. I prefer using the hood most of the time. The helmet cover is OK when it isn't too cold or the rain isn't coming down hard.

I guess I am lucky - the hood has never impacted my peripheral vision, as I wear it under my helmet. The straps on my helmet keep it tucked in well, so I don't think this is a big concern.
Likes For dh024:
Old 10-27-19, 07:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Nice thing about a helmet cover is it does double duty on chilly days. Yesterday I did a 25 mile exercise ride, temp was in the low to mid 40s (F), wore a polartec ear band under the helmet and a helmet rain cover. There was no rain, the rain cover was to keep the wind off of my head.

Three years ago when I did a month long tour in Iceland, it was chilly enough that I left the rain cover on the helmet for the entire month, some days also used an ear band and some days without.
Old 10-27-19, 12:02 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by reynoldsarts
Just finished 8 months on the bike. Hit A few nice week long downpours. I have a gore 5 shake dry but it’s not great in cold, has no hood and tight. What’s your favorite rain jacket?
The Shower's Pass Elite 2.1 jacket has the best design for cycling I've ever used. It has wide cuffs, front-biased zippered vents, and a rear vent to maximize airflow to prevent overheating, which is the scourge of most rain jackets. But you can cinch it down in cold weather. They probably make a similar jacket with a hood.

I wore out my Elite 2.1 jacket several years ago and have since used a jacket on the opposite side of the cost spectrum: The O2 Rainwear hooded jacket. It's dirt cheap, lightweight, compact, and it sheds water better than the Elite. It is more fragile and the fit is way oversized, but the billowy size does allow better airflow and excellent layering space. I'm normally a size medium and even the size small is roomy.
Old 10-27-19, 12:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak
The Shower's Pass Elite 2.1 jacket has the best design for cycling I've ever used. It has wide cuffs, front-biased zippered vents, and a rear vent to maximize airflow to prevent overheating, which is the scourge of most rain jackets. But you can cinch it down in cold weather. They probably make a similar jacket with a hood.

I wore out my Elite 2.1 jacket several years ago and have since used a jacket on the opposite side of the cost spectrum: The O2 Rainwear hooded jacket. It's dirt cheap, lightweight, compact, and it sheds water better than the Elite. It is more fragile and the fit is way oversized, but the billowy size does allow better airflow and excellent layering space. I'm normally a size medium and even the size small is roomy.
Do you find that water seeps through wherever there is bunching up of the jacket - say on the arms?

Cheers
Old 10-27-19, 01:11 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Do you find that water seeps through wherever there is bunching up of the jacket - say on the arms?

Cheers
The SP Elite jacket failed at the taped seams along the shoulders where the arms connected. At that point it became just a wind jacket. In my experience that's how all of my fancy two or three ply jackets have failed. The tape comes off and then the flood gates open. The tape isn't reliable in the long run.

I haven't experienced any water leaks with the cheapo O2 Rainwear jacket. I've taped a few spots where abrasion tore the waterproof layer but the jacket keeps on doing its job. The jacket is welded together like Ortlieb panniers so there is no tape to peel off. For $35, this jacket continues to impress me.
Old 10-27-19, 01:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

... The tape comes off and then the flood gates open. The tape isn't reliable in the long run.....
On both rain gear and on tent flys when the taped seams start to become untaped, I tear off as much of the tape as is loose and seal the seams with Seam Grip. You should not have to do this, but in the end that is the simplist solution. I always try to let seam grip set for a week or more before packing anything away, it can take a while before it is no longer tacky.
https://www.rei.com/product/603034/g...ip-seam-sealer
Old 10-28-19, 04:32 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O2 rain jacket

The SP Elite jacket failed at the taped seams along the shoulders where the arms connected. At that point it became just a wind jacket. In my experience that's how all of my fancy two or three ply jackets have failed. The tape comes off and then the flood gates open. The tape isn't reliable in the long run.

I haven't experienced any water leaks with the cheapo O2 Rainwear jacket. I've taped a few spots where abrasion tore the waterproof layer but the jacket keeps on doing its job. The jacket is welded together like Ortlieb panniers so there is no tape to peel off. For $35, this jacket continues to impress me.
I agree the O2 does a good job as an emergency rain jacket without sweating a lot. On my second one. I’m in subtropical Taiwan and stash it in my saddle bag so I’m prepared. If there’s a better option please advise. I stuff the hood under the collar when not needed. But the hood has saved me a few times.
Old 10-28-19, 07:21 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Marmot Precip. Light weight and very thin so I am less likely to overheat. If it is chilly, it is roomy enough that I can put extra layers under it. Has a hood that I sometimes use in campgrounds but I never wear a hood while on the bike, instead I use a rain cover on the helmet.
I got a killer deal on a Marmot winter weight Gore-Tex parka, a couple years ago now. This one's bright orange, so very visible, and has nice big pit zips, for ventilation. 👍 For anyone not aware, Marmot was the first company to use Gore-Tex, and helped Mr. Gore ( I forget his first name right now) get his product some recognition. That's a pretty good reference. 😎
Old 10-29-19, 09:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by stardognine
... For anyone not aware, Marmot was the first company to use Gore-Tex, ...
I think a friend of mine in the 80s had a down sleeping bag with a Goretex shell.
Old 10-29-19, 12:16 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
You won’t be able to beat Gore ShakeDry for total waterproofness and near windshirt breathability, it’s fabulous stuff. I wouldn’t get an insulated version as that will reduce its versatility - just layer underneath as necessary. The C5 is tailored tight for the roadies aerodynamics/speed. For more room to layer underneath, and a good hood, I would advise The Northface Hyperair GTX ShakeDry... you can still find last year’s model at 50% off in all sizes.
Old 11-01-19, 08:58 PM
schiavonec

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A helmet cover works great for me in yhe winter. Keeps wind off (precip too), and I use different weight hat solutions depending on temp.

To the orig question, tnf mtn bike shell I coat with silicone, in the warmer to early winter and late spring months; I use a heavier patagonia rain shell for the switch seasons with liner as needed; and in the teens or 20s commuting, i use a mtn hardware lightly lined shell when i know it will snow.
Old 11-02-19, 08:16 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
You won’t be able to beat Gore ShakeDry for total waterproofness and near windshirt breathability, it’s fabulous stuff. I wouldn’t get an insulated version as that will reduce its versatility - just layer underneath as necessary. The C5 is tailored tight for the roadies aerodynamics/speed. For more room to layer underneath, and a good hood, I would advise The Northface Hyperair GTX ShakeDry... you can still find last year’s model at 50% off in all sizes.
Mine's not really insulated, other than a thin lining, it just has a much thicker & sturdier version of Gore-Tex. 🙂

I might have jinxed myself, talking about it though. I did laundry yesterday, & messed up the zipper, in the dryer. 😩 At least the velcro strips still hold it shut pretty good, but I kinda need a new one now. 🤔🙁
Old 11-03-19, 03:53 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My first tour 40 years ago - I had a cheap nylon windbreaker. On the two days it rained out of the eleven riding days, I used the cheapest raincoat known to man - a plastic garbage bag, cut in the proper places for neck and arm holes. yes, it was Summer - August in fact - so chill was not an issue.

Now that I'm older and wiser (and haven't gone on a 'tour' in 35 years), I try to not ride on rainy days. If it looks like it might rain on a riding day, I'll take along my breathable rain jacket from J&G Waterproof Breathable Jackets from People Who Really Know Waterproof Breathable Jackets! . I also have a pair of rain pants and helmet cover from the same company, but as I said before, I tend to pick my cycling days...
Old 11-04-19, 07:43 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Another thumbs up for the O2 jacket with hood. The pants are just as effective. Our shop sent many people out on tour with their original jacket and pant. Very waterproof, slightly sweaty, baggy enough for layers. Just about perfect.
Old 11-04-19, 07:55 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
I recently picked up a rain cape from J&G Cyclewear. Used it and a helmet cover during a light rain last week, kept me dry and I did not over heat like I would in a jacket without a vapor liner.

Rain Capes from People Who Really Know Rain Capes!
Old 11-05-19, 05:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Who wears a rain cape when it is not raining? They need new model images to show it in use!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-05-19, 10:31 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
That's how well it works. By wearing it you keep the rain away!
Old 11-08-19, 08:11 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I bought one of those at REI. Within 2 years, the white, inner coating began shedding off, rendering it no longer waterproof. It wasn't even wearable as a wind shell, because of all the white dust coming off it. After taking off the jacket, I'd look like I jumped into a vat of baby powder. I was out of warranty with Marmot and REI and got no play with either of them on reimbursing. It was disappointing, because I've had Marmot stuff before and was generally happy with it.
Old 11-09-19, 08:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I bought one of those at REI. Within 2 years, the white, inner coating began shedding off, rendering it no longer waterproof. It wasn't even wearable as a wind shell, because of all the white dust coming off it. After taking off the jacket, I'd look like I jumped into a vat of baby powder. I was out of warranty with Marmot and REI and got no play with either of them on reimbursing. It was disappointing, because I've had Marmot stuff before and was generally happy with it.
I have only once had a warranty claim with Marmot but they were quick to approve replacement. You might want to try it again, tell them that the coating has a delamination problem.

REI, yeah I am pretty unhappy with them. They got so big that they pretty wiped out a lot of their competition so there are not many other options. They stopped selling some stuff that did not have really high profit margins. And now they seem to put customer service way down their priority list.
Old 11-14-19, 03:15 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I have an Eastern Mountain Sports back country hiking rain jacket with goretex lining I bought around 2000. It's hugely oversized so I could layer under it. That's made it an awesome commuting rain jacket! Huge pit zips, and a stowaway hood make it really adjustable to conditions.

Being so huge I can wear it with the pits open, and unzip the from the bottom and get tons of ventilation in the summer. When it's cold I can cinch the hood, waist, and hips of the jacket and make it pretty tight.

The best part is I can wear it OVER a mountain Smith lumbar pack or a small backpack, keeping everything dry and warm. No wet gear, and no frozen cell phone.

I think a well oversized rain jacket takes the best qualities of a poncho and a jacket.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 11-15-19, 10:25 AM
balrog687

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still have an arcteryx Beta AR. It's a hardshell, probably overkill in most situations, but totally trustworthy on really bad weather, I've used it in Alaska, Canada, Chilean Andes, Carretera Austral and the Chilean Patagonia.

Totally recomended for strong winds, cold weather, hail and rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.