Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Peugeot and a Puch. Which models do I have?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 10:21 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts

Over the past several months I’ve acquired a couple of bikes that I’m having trouble identifying precisely. These are in mostly “as found” condition and both need extensive cleaning, fresh grease, cables, and tires.The Peugeot has a Super Vitus 980 frame that looks to be rather nice and the Puch is Reynolds 531with mostly Shimano 600 Arabesque/EX components. When it comes to searching for model names from these two companies I rarely have any luck. As usual, I’ve found similar bikes but no exact matches that I can be certain about. The Peugeot cost me $70 and the Puch cost $100. I bought them without much of a plan and thought I’d eventually just flip them. The Peugeot is on the smallish side of what I’m comfortable riding but the Puch I figured would fit me well if I couldn’t make money on it, and really I’ve grown rather fond of it. Anyway if you could help me positively identify them I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

Missing the Simplex front derailleur.

Broken Simplex shift lever.

52/42 Stronglight chainrings with a Peugeot labeled crankset.

Looks like Peugeot labeled SLJ. I like this derailleur so I hope it’s still good.

Missing cable guide reveals the serial number.

I’m not liking the 105 brake levers but the rest of the bike is quite lovely.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 01-02-23 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-29-19, 10:34 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

More pics of the Peugeot

Matching Module E 700c rims

Matching small flange Atom hubs

Lever hoods seem okay

These top of the top tube cable guides never seem to hold their paint.

Seat post is serviceable but scuffed badly.

Weinmann side pulls.

Atax stem.
Old 12-29-19, 10:41 PM
Pcampeau

More pics of the Puch

I love this fork

I’ve always been impressed with the look of this group set.

Shimano dropouts.

Shimano hubs

600 calipers

Paint is a bit better here than on the Peugeot guides but still missing some.
Old 12-30-19, 02:10 AM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
1978-ish Puch Royal Force?

You're on your own with the Peugeot, though. The only thing I can find with 980 is the PSV10 and they all seem to have had chrome forks, different parts, and different decals - I'm guessing that's what you're running into. The catalog record is all over the place and they were notorious for changing things for different markets so it may be that I just don't have the right catalog from the right market.
Old 12-30-19, 03:37 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Early 80's Peugeot vs. Puch

"The Peugeot is on the smallish side of what I’m comfortable riding, but the Puch I figured would fit me well"

VERY SIMPLE ANSWER.... Go with the bike that fits you best.

Standover height with at least 1" between you and the top tube is the first consideration. If the Puch meets that requirement then everything else can be adjusted to fit: seat height and position, bars and stem height, maybe a longer stem and so on.

Remember, the seat post and stem need to be inserted at least 80mm or 3".

Also clean all of the crud and gunk out of the steerer and seat tube. Hone the inside with a brake cylinder hone or sandpaper on a wooden dowel, Sand any rough spots off of the inserted part of the stem and seatpost.

Check out the terribly munged seatpost on the Peugeot indicating an equally munged seat tube.

Finally, when assembling use a glop of grease inside both the steerer and seat tube and smear some onto both the stem and seatpost - GOOD KARMA!

As for what model the Peugeot is, the best match that I've come up with is a 1980 UK market Champion Du Monde PFN. Does the fork have a Super Vitus sticker?

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...FN_Page_10.jpg

If this is the correct model, how it ended up in the US is a mystery... Maybe through Canada??? @cinco

BTW, the Simplex SX410 rear derailleur shifts great! When I built up my 1983 PSV10 I used one of them instead of a drop parallelogram SX610 because it was Peugeot badged. Never noticed any difference in performance.

Now to the Puch. We sold some Austro Daimler bikes and also their poor sister Puchs in the late 70's. The top AD models were elegant. Not so with the lower priced models. The Puchs or as we called the Pukes lacked the aesthetics of comparably priced French, British and Japanese bikes. Little things like stamped dropouts and kluged seat clusters, lugs, fork crowns and so on.

The OP's Puch is a much better made bike than the ones we sold. The Shimano Arabesque components date it to 1978-1982. My guess is 1980-82.

Here's a post I wrote back in 2015 that sums up my opinion of Shimano Arabesque dreck, click on this link: https://www.bikeforums.net/18139704-post32.html

Hope that this helps....

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 12-30-19 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 04:19 AM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 61 Posts
No experience with Puch, but I have a PSV-10 in same light blue, only differences are; a (I think) plastic head badge, the stronglight 104 crank is drilled, and a full chrome super virus fork. I wonder if the 980 decal is missing. It’s 60 ctt, and I think it’s a great ride, compared with my other bikes. It came from an upstate New York Craigslist, so maybe they both came from Canada? It seems the blue is rare. And there are the unique Simplex front derailleur on eBayfr, if you need one.

A sweet ride.

As Chas pointed out, I think the Simplex shifts great.

Last edited by santa fe 2926; 12-30-19 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-30-19, 07:31 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Not a PSV-10

Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
No experience with Puch, but I have a PSV-10 in same light blue, only differences are; a (I think) plastic head badge, the stronglight 104 crank is drilled, and a full chrome super virus fork. I wonder if the 980 decal is missing. It’s 60 ctt, and I think it’s a great ride, compared with my other bikes. It came from an upstate New York Craigslist, so maybe they both came from Canada? It seems the blue is rare. And there are the unique Simplex front derailleur on eBayfr, if you need one.

A sweet ride.

As Chas pointed out, I think the Simplex shifts great.
Your bike is a PSV-10 - "SV" indicating full Super Vitus frame, Super Vitus 980 in this case. Probably a 1982 or 83 model but the US catalog only shows pearlescent white not metallic blue or any other color.

My 1983 PSV-10 that I got as a partial bike, sans wheels, bars and stem, saddle, seatpost and so on.

I upgraded a bunch of things on the bike including the headset, BB, shift levers, stem and bars, brake levers an so on.

Finished PSV-10. Looking out the Golden Gate... It's a superb riding and handling bike.

I don't think that the Peugeot that Pcampeau has is a PSV-10. The forks and rear stays are probably not SV 980 tubing.

Check out the bike at the bottom of the page in this link that I posted above: https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...FN_Page_10.jpg

NOTE OF WARNING... To All

The bottom bracket on my PSV-10 was a cheap Peugeot branded set that was case hardened, not a good Stronglight BB. The races were terribly worn out!

MOST IMPORTANT, the fixed cup (drive side) has Left Hand Swiss Metric Threads. Quality replacement cups are hard to find. Fortunately I had a couple of Stronglight Swiss fixed cups. (and no, I don't want to part with the one I have left )

The spindle was 121mm wide. Standard Stronglight BB spindles are 118mm or 120mm wide, either one will work on these bikes.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 12-30-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 01:04 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Stamping under the BB shell on the Peugeot puts manufacture at Jan 1981.

"SV" in "PSV" is for SuperVitus, although I swear one or possibly two other higher-end models came with this tubing, IIRC, however don't think that started until 83/84ish. If we go by Peugeot's letter naming designations, it's technically a PSV-something frame.

I thought at first this was one of the Canadian PK models, like a PK12 or PK13, but those were both 531 main triangle.

For reference, here's an '82 PFN10 I have in my attic right now, the awesome guy who sold me my Behringer gave it to me to rebuild for my wife, but it's 2-3cm too large for her.