Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Black Sheep Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 08:46 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts

Well, it's that time of year: When the riding is reduced mostly to commuter miles for those of us in the colder climes, thoughts turn to our parts stash, spare frames, and needless bike builds.

This one was the superfluous #5 in my stable. I have no need for it, but you can't leave an early 70s Raleigh Competition frame hanging. This one now lives at my office downtown in the Loop for lunch get-togethers or random errands conjured out of thin air to get away from my desk for a bit.

Contrary to prevailing opinions on the correct number of bikes to own, I've found myself very comfortable with 4:
The Commuter/Touring 650B

The Grocery-getting Riv-inspired MTB Townie

The 650B Rando

The Zippy Early 90s Handbuilt Racing Bike with Skinny Tires

But this Raleigh really doesn't need to be here.

Anyone else got that black sheep bike that doesn't really fit in to your stable, but can't seem to part with?
Likes For bear_a_bug:
Old 12-30-19, 08:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Pic is before I mounted the front brake how I want it.

Old 12-30-19, 10:00 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
i have 2 bikes with sentimental value that i pretty much never ride.
Old 12-31-19, 06:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
and needless bike builds.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-31-19, 10:25 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
I bought this mid 80s Novara A-T at Goodwill a few months ago. It was 37 bucks so I figured why not?
early Novaras were pretty decent bikes.
I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-31-19, 12:50 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
This is mine, I guess, neither vintage nor modern, a 2002 Aluminum Allez. My steel Bianchi got killed by a car and I needed a bike. Found this at Performance as a new, year end close out for $399. I've since moved on to fancier modern bikes and built up a nice vintage collection, so, the Allez is the odd duck. After a couple of sales attempts fell thru, its now my post office and bank run bike. I can lock it up, let it out of sight, briefly and not worry about it ... too much. Sunday we went bird watching, and I left it chained (wheels padlocked together) to a chain link fence for over an hour. It was still there later. I still enjoy riding it, with upgrades to carbon fork, ITM stem, 105 brakes, and Ultegra FD, the parts are maybe somewhat valuable to leave chained up. In do still enjoy riding it, quick, responsive, a little hard riding, but still part of the family.

Chained up, just left of the big wheeler, for bird watching.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 12-31-19 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 03:01 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
For me this was a real weirdo, I laughed when I first saw it and not just because of the black/white barf tape and rotten white brake hoods, plus my disdain for unicrown forks, and we can also add in the regular warnings you hear about bonded frames.

Reality is, it's under 20#, super responsive, I thoroughly enjoy it. I've never seen another one in my life. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

Likes For francophile:
Old 12-31-19, 03:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
^ Bonded Ti main tubes with a 753 triangle? Interesting

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-31-19, 04:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I found this Windsor Pro ten years ago in Goodwill's Dumpster, having looked to have spent a good ten years outdoors with half of it's paint falling off, it was simply discarded whole.

The Nuovo Record parts were needed for my garage-sale-find Raleigh Pro having no original parts, so I was left with just a too-small frame with a fork that someone had de-rusted using a bench-grinder(!) before allowing it to rust over again.

The Raleigh went together first, as mostly original, but with it's Dura-Ace brakeset, Cinelli bars and stem and some 27" wheels. Still it rode great for more-sporting rides.

Then I completed the removal of all remaining paint from the Windsor, revealing a fully-chromed frame! I had to terminate a couple of cracks in it's seat lug using a drill, then I selected a longer (suspension) fork that would raise the headtube and slow the bike's upright geometry at the same time.
It came together with the proverbial "dog's breakfast" of mixed parts, and offered a nice, sporting ride with it's Campag 10s levers and Shimano 9s derailer moving the chain across a Shimano 8s cassette. It really gobbles up the worst of our broken foothills pavement with it's Paris-Roubaix air fork and USE suspension post.

Last edited by dddd; 12-31-19 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-31-19, 04:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
^ Bonded Ti main tubes with a 753 triangle? Interesting
Alulminum lugs. Ti / 753 triangle and maybe stays too? 531 fork. I legit DO NOT understand why these weren't better received, except I hear the price was absurd. The ride is absurdly awesome. Here's some data pertinent to the (Dynatech) technology from Raleigh:

Likes For francophile:
Old 12-31-19, 05:25 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Probably the USA export version of this. Neat.
There's a thread over here about them, where Hilary Stone chimed in to chat some about it, you can see the above pictured black sheep with its barf tape still intact. I think there are one or two other threads here on BF where you can find more details. I've been on the hunt for a USA '92, '93 and '94 catalog (pretty sure that's the year range) to try to find this model, I think it would be a fun addendum to having the bike, but they seem scarce. I suspect mine came with all Shimano 600 drivetrain, but wasn't mad about the Mavic additions a PO made.
Old 12-31-19, 05:45 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Sheesh, I have some of these...
My collection has been focused to touring bikes, I like the ride, the fender and rack possibilities, and they're still, you know, BICYCLES, so I've never found them to be unresponsive because of a degree of fork rake here, or a cm of chainstay there.

So here is a 2 sizes too small CF wrapped alloy tube, road racing bike with a CF mountain bike flat bar on a riser stem.

This daft thing won't take a fender or a rack and has like, no tire clearence. It is stupid fast, and with the upright bars, turns before you finish thinking about it. All it wants to do is pull wheelies. Riding it makes you laugh.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 12-31-19, 06:01 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
As far as the top-tier Technium offerings, their pricing was actually extremely fair, the 753 main-tubes model with Dura-Ace STI being I believe the first production bike to break below $2k having this complete 74xx gruppo!

It was good enough of a deal for one Valley Spokesman member to buy one and strip it, then sold me the frame for under $100 a few years later!
I built it up with new 9s Ultegra STI levers that I sourced cheap at the Interbike Outdoor Demo, then built wheels up and dug through my parts inventory to build a pretty nice 1997-era bike using this frame.
I too found little to complain about the 753 model, other than the shift boss getting forced off (by my ham-handed use of too long of a screw). I glued it back onto it's peg and got some years of riding out of it, a bike that got a LOT of comments about the beauty of it's pearl-white paint and green-red-gold-leaf graphics.
Old 12-31-19, 06:59 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Alulminum lugs. Ti / 753 triangle and maybe stays too? 531 fork. I legit DO NOT understand why these weren't better received, except I hear the price was absurd. The ride is absurdly awesome. Here's some data pertinent to the (Dynatech) technology from Raleigh:
Maybe I'm overlooking it but I don't see, what was the actual bonding process? Something with glue/epoxy, or maybe electrically-stimulated metal bonding?
Old 01-01-20, 12:03 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
He only said that bike rode smooth enough for Jehovah.....
Old 01-01-20, 02:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
And here I thought this was going to be a Medici thread.