Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 11:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
It's on My list of things to do...but excited not to have to leave the wheel mounted on the bike to do simple truing.

[
QUOTE=merziac;21280463]I meant it seems that they were used for both from early on and originally came from the motorcycle industry, I don't think they had lightweight ones to begin with and the heavy duty one would have been well suited for production work as you noted.

Obviously another history lesson to be had here, I saw the same stands in bike shops and motorcycle shops in the 70's although some bike shops had light weight versions instead.

I think it cleaned up really well, the grease saved a lot of the original finish...maybe just leave the patina on and not repaint..thoughts?
Best, Ben

Although not completely gone the OC got most of the rust off the pieces/knobs that were chromed.

I will need to get some wing nuts and plastic washers for ease of use...the metallic paint worked wonders on the few galvanized/cad pieces (rod and conical holders. [/QUOTE]

I vote leave it,looks great as is, good work, so cool!
Old 01-15-20, 03:37 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Shimano 600 Front Derailleur

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Yesterday, this Dura-Ace derailleur attempted to kill me while I was test riding my Patrick Mahomie bike around. Broke off while I was standing and shifting.

Luckily because I had pulled out all those parts this weekend, I knew I had an old Shimano 600 derailleur that fit. It was the original to the bike, but it was super rusty and grimey. 30 mins with a wire brush and steel wool later and I had this. It's late when I took the pic but it's shiny and surprisingly works perfect with the 10spd drivetrain.
Those Shimano FD-6207 front derailleurs are my favorites when I'm building a Shimano or frankenbike. I use them with 5-6-7-8 speed rear cogs. They shift crisply and the cages are long enough to handle many triple setups.

The cages are also wide enough that I rarely have to trim the FD after a rear shift.

Speaking of "tried to kill me", I had my new Ed Litton out for a short maiden voyage yesterday. About 4 1/2 mile in, after fine tuning the seat height and angle. I reduced the front tire preasure from 90 psi to 85 psi and every was perfectly dialed in with a beautiful ride and handling.

I was doing a slow, sharp left hand turn when I felt my left pedal strike... next thing I was doing a face plant!

Sidewall blowout on a NOS sewup!

I'll survive but the brand new black brake levers are trashed!

THINGS TO DO IMMEDIATELY AFTER A FALL:

1. Look around and make sure no one saw you take a spill - to preclude embarrassment.

2. Check out the bike for damage.

3. Check out yourself for injury.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 01-15-20 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 01-15-20, 03:49 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Speaking of "tried to kill me", I had my new Ed Litton out for a short maiden voyage yesterday. About 4 1/2 mile in, after fine tuning the seat height and angle. I reduced the front tire preasure from 90 psi to 85 psi and every was perfectly dialed in with a beautiful ride and handling.

I was doing a slow, sharp left hand turn when I felt my left pedal strike... next thing I was doing a face plant!

1. Look around and make sure no one saw you take a spill - to preclude embarrassment.

verktyg
Bummer about the spill, but I had to laugh at that last part. I did those exact three steps today after some railroad tracks put me down.
Everybody saw me!
The bike is unscathed.
I may have cracked a rib.

It was still a great ride.
Old 01-15-20, 07:39 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Those Shimano FD-6207 front derailleurs are my favorites when I'm building a Shimano or frankenbike. I use them with 5-6-7-8 speed rear cogs. They shift crisply and the cages are long enough to handle many triple setups.

The cages are also wide enough that I rarely have to trim the FD after a rear shift.

Sidewall blowout on a NOS sewup!

verktyg
I hear you, I have permanent scarring on my right hand from a terrible fall years ago. It's damn scary when it happens while you are standing and pedaling.

I am amazed how well that derailleur works. That is 10spd Shimano drivetrain with a SRAM Apex cranks that are compact. It shouldn't work but does perfectly. That is something I love about Shimano stuff, that cross compatibility is great.

I'm on a roll with bike fixing too. Reused some bar tape on my Jamis Aurora with the weird Denham bars.

Old 01-15-20, 07:48 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Donor results...

Wheels and other parts from the donor Fuji Royal and the Raleigh Grand Prix...on the Moto Super Mirage, shifters ended up on the purple Raleigh Competition, everything else is brandedFuji or Raleigh...

Old 01-15-20, 09:29 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Put together a new custom 9 speed cassette for the Pelizzoli today: 12-14-16-17-18-19-21-24-28. Paired with the 50/34 compact 6206 crankset, makes for a really nice 16-19 mph pace on flats and rollers, with a couple small ones on the bottom for downhills and a couple bigger ones on the top for more troublesome hills.
Old 01-16-20, 06:53 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts
Today I finished a project that had been in the attic for a few years, a 1988 Concorde Gavina from 1988. Total respray and rechromed, a rare Campagnolo Chorus Graphite groupset and lots of other NOS bits and pieces.

Likes For Hajo:
Old 01-16-20, 06:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
... today after some railroad tracks put me down.
Everybody saw me!
The bike is unscathed.
I may have cracked a rib.

Glad that the bike is okay.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-16-20, 07:01 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@Phil_gretz, thanks. Me too.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-16-20, 01:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Hajo
Total respray and rechromed, a rare Campagnolo Chorus Graphite groupset...

If you have some detailed pics, please post 'em.
Old 01-16-20, 02:00 PM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts

As it is for sale, plenty of detail photos avaliable! Enjoy them!

Last edited by Hajo; 01-16-20 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For Hajo:
Old 01-16-20, 11:36 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I built up my $20 Masi, It's now my ultimate desk toy

: Mike
Old 01-17-20, 08:41 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
This was posted originally in "Saved from the dump" but it belongs here.
I picked this up today and am going to repaint it....it has been repaired so a cleanup and perhaps some filing to clean up the weld. Good thing is that it's all there, no missing pieces that I am aware of...just really grungy! Chrome parts will be soaking in OC. while I give it a good wash.
It's super heavy duty and super heavy Merziac said it was originally designed for use on motorcycle wheels but I have seen old pics of them used in some Japanese factories to build wheels..it is marked TANAKA tools Japan so?
Anyway, I am happy to have this piece of history even with the repair.
Best, Ben

before the washdown.
I think you are right that your stand was for motorcycle wheels, it looks bigger than the HTK I restored some yrs back.

Old 01-17-20, 09:56 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I think you are right that your stand was for motorcycle wheels, it looks bigger than the HTK I restored some yrs back.

Wow, yours looks great....I did some additional research and found this on the web...so it must have been used to do both types of wheels.

Base's are slightly different

Credit to stogaguy for the great photo
Old 01-17-20, 07:06 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I built up my $20 Masi...

Wow. Now how much are you asking for your desk art?

You just gave me a beautiful reason to hang onto those pitted campy cups.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-18-20, 07:26 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
The Shimano external BB (BB-4600) on my commuter bike has developed the dreaded knockin' and a rockin' so it's all change and I'm going to downgrade it from Tiagra 10-speed to Tourney 7-speed. The strip down went OK this morning and I've slapped in a really smooth UN-55 square taper BB that came out of the parts box as did a Chinese 'Litepro' 48/38 chainset. I already have the Tourney shifters and mechs and will re-use the Shimano BR-R451 57mm drop brakes but with new pads as I was just getting down to the metal on the rear. Apart from the pads ($23 inc. postage) I've had to purchase a new cassette and have gone for a ridiculously cheap 8-speed SRAM 12-23 ($9 inc. postage) so that I avoid a spacer and have a built-in spoke protector (albeit a heavy one). Everything else, including the chain and bartape is already on the shelf.

This is my only bike with fenders so thankfully it's dry here for 4-5 days so a mid-week wrenching session when my parts arrive should see my commuter back on the road before my next shift (Thursday).

Edit: Apologies folks for not noticing that this thread is within C&V.

Last edited by Welshboy; 01-19-20 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Apology for wrong section.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 01-18-20, 04:00 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Two Peugeots

belonging to married couple, kids of older friends. These were wedding gifts from a bike enthusiast.

Man's. Is it other than an A08? I'm thinking something else. Thoughts?
I'm addressing things left undone, hubs, headset, rear derailleur pivot tension, etc. Also truing and a bad tube.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 01-18-20 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 04:02 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Details

. Note the levers, Atax flat top stem and head lugs. What is this?
Old 01-18-20, 04:07 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Lady's bike..

I haven't evaluated this yet. They complained of little things not quite right. Mostly, their friend made nice choices: hammered fenders and VO saddles...
Old 01-18-20, 09:36 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
'Honest Fixie/SS and a "wet-bike" trainer

I have been riding singlespeeds as my urban steed for a few years, and have always had to fuss with the rear wheel alignment, etc...I finally started hunting for a bonafide track frame (an older KHS/Ritchey frame originally commissioned by <SanFranCyclo.com> and transferred my SS setup to it...so much nicer!! (pics below)

Also working on getting a meaningful 'wet bike' together that will still be fun to train on in the winter. Have an older Miyata 710 (that was also my most recent SS) and bought a middle-aged bike with a VGC Shimano 105 group and some decent Cane Creek Crono wheels (after truing). Scored some SKS P35 fenders on clearance from REI and ready to start building. The 710 has nice clearance for 28mm tires and full mounting bosses (unlike my main roadie Miyata Team Pro). I'm tired of hosing off my MTP...hope I finish it before the rain stops!!

Here are the SS/Fixie pics (question to all...is it worth buying/making a single stem spacer to replace the 3 that I had lying about?

23 pounds before lights and U-Lock. This will get a new saddle (WTB CroMoly Volt) in a few days. The Specialized is shot

Really dig the function and look of the Suntour Superbe brakes. Have had these in storage for >> a decade!
Old 01-18-20, 10:27 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I cleaned up my '74 Paramount after several months of having not ridden it after a wet ride home sometime near the end of last year. The tan wall Soma tires I did have on it were dirty, so I opted to just swap on freshly cleaned Compass tires after getting the wheels back to their previously shiny state. Both sets of tires I bought used for cheap, and both were very dirty and I employed some Meguiar's car wash soap and a sponge/brillo pad with warm water in the tub to clean them up.

The front wheel needed truing and a decent upping of spoke tension. The rear didn't need much truing at all, but some spoke tension increase was dialed in as it was also low. The real discovery, which was a bummer, was small longitudinal stress cracks on the rear rim by the spoke holes/eyelets--three or four of them have it. I have no idea how long they've been like that, but suffice it to say, a solution must be reached. I have a few ideas I'm entertaining:

1) Find and buy a used/NOS/whatever polished Mavic MA2 rim, 700C, green/yellow label (late '80s/early '90s), 32 hole
2) Replace both rims with Pacenti Brevets
3) Replace both rims (and likely spokes?) with H + Son TB14s (polished)

Depending on who you ask (or look up), MA2's have an ERD of 612 or 613mm (Zinn says 613mm). The Brevets have an ERD of 611mm and the TB14's have an ERD of 610mm.

Part of me thinks I could get away with just swapping the Brevets without changing the spokes as the ERD is so close. I'd use new brass nipples of course. I'll have to check to see how deep the spokes go into the nipples' threading. That will tell me a lot right away.

Why not change spokes, too? Well, for one, it's another expense and two, the current spokes are externally butted and we all know: match-match-match. And on the flagship? I think we know the answer. The 7400 hubs are still in great shape and spin forever. And given everything, my most economical option is likely to be finding another MA2 rim in great shape and simply changing it over. This 7400 hub/double-butted spokes/polished MA2 wheelset is my favorite, is only bestowed upon special bikes, and at 30 years old, owes nobody anything as it has held up extremely well over time. I've owned them for three or four years and they remain solid. I won't be riding bikes for a little bit here for a number of reasons, so there's no urgency per se. I'm currently deciding on some fenders for it as I seek to solidify its all-around capability as I continue and plan the winnowing of the fleet.

Anyway, here's a picture!

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-19-20, 12:19 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Some rascal put shimano aero levers on my 85 Allez.
I have to right a wrong

Last edited by norcalmike; 01-19-20 at 12:39 AM.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 01-19-20, 11:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Did some DIY lug lining today. I think it was a succes.

Before:

After:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-19-20, 02:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Finally getting to clean up a front hub with fire damage. A few hours on the hub polishing jig (and some help from the buffing wheel). Before and after pics:

Smiles,
MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-19-20, 05:33 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
👍

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Did some DIY lug lining today. I think it was a succes.

Before:

After:

Very nice!
Likes For billnuke1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.