Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tig welding an aluminum seat tube back together?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 03:55 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

My poor choice in buying a cheap Chinese Rad bike in a box has come back to bite me. The top of the seat tube cracked off at the frame welds. Rad bikes has no frames and no interest in having anything to do with an 18 month old bike with a bad frame.

Best suggestion I''ve had so far for a repair is to drop a new piece of aluminum tubing into the old seat tube, welding that on to the old tube along with the broken piece and installing a new, smaller diameter seat post that fits the new, smaller tube. I'm told that this requires 'tig' welding. Can anyone confirm that is the right type of welding for this job? Does anyone know of a shop in the DC area that can tig weld aluminum?

Thanks for any suggestions on welders or different approaches to making this bike rideable again. Moral of the story is support your Local Bike Shop.

Also, if you come across an ad for Rad Power bikes in your feed I recommend that you just scroll on past.
Old 02-12-20, 04:06 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I would ask in the framebuilders forum, but my guess is that the response is the frame is toast. if the weld failed in a low stress area (unless you were using 1 inch of seat tube) what are the chances of other welds failing?

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-12-20, 04:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Bin it, I would never trust that frame. What makes you think that any of the other welds (or the tubing for that matter) on the frame are reliable? Besides, even if you had the frame repaired it would need heat-treating after welding. This is unlikely to be economical even if you cold find someone to do it.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-12-20, 04:38 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
As dsbrantjr said, if one part of the frame cracked, other sections may follow. I'd be looking for a used frame on Craigslist, or wherever, to transfer parts to.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-12-20, 04:43 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Aluminum frames are welded then heat treated. You need the proper heat treatment which a good tig welder can't do himself. Frame is scrap. New frame is far far cheaper than your medical bills when the frame discombobulates on a downhill curve going 30mph with oncoming traffic. Sorry for your loss.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-12-20, 04:44 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I suggest buying a new bike. One with a stronger frame. If you buy the same size bike, you have a full set of spares, of everything other than the frame.

Don't spend money on a frame which may fail somewhere else.
Likes For alo:
Old 02-12-20, 05:05 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Accept that you made a poor choice and trash the piece of junk. Learn from the mistake and it was not a total waste.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-12-20, 05:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
How did you manage to break the mast where you did?

Rider Weight?

How much post extends into the frame? Did you use the "minimum insertion" mark? Perhaps with a mast, one should have the minimum insertion point below the top of the top tube (or at least 2" into the frame).

Is the seat tube round below the seat stays?

What diameter of seatpost do you have?

If you had a quill post like the 27.2 posts from the 80's or 90's, then you could just clean up the top of your tube, stick in the quill... give the finger to those saying to trash the frame... and keep riding.

Unfortunately there are few options available. Most are short, and almost all are 27.2. However, in theory, you might be able to make a suitable quill.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-12-20, 05:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Toast.
Visit one of the DC area coops and buy a used frame compatible with your components and switch them over or pay the coop to do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-12-20, 06:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...I think a lot of the responses so far don't understand this is an electric bicycle, and looking for a new frame to swap components is a non-starter.

TIG and MIG welding are the accepted commonly available ways to join aluminum tubing, like this appears to be. There is an inert gas shielding that flows constantly around the area being welded with the bead of welding rod. The failure looks like the classic one you get from not having enough seat post down inside the seat tube. Only you know for certain if this was the cause.

I am entirely uncertain if your particular frame was heat treated as part of the construction process, but just looking at the thickness of the aluminum tubing walls in your photo, I would guess it probably was not. YOu could probably confirm that with the maker, which AFAIK is still in business. If that is, indeed, the case, It's a relatively simple job to re-weld that aluminum top piece back (sans the clamp) onto where it broke off (it won't look as pretty as it did new). A more professional repair would be to manufacture a new top piece from similar size and wall thickness tubing, grind off the remains of the old one at the break at an angle, and weld on the new piece using a fillet weld all around. (This is difficult to describe in words, but any experienced welder will know what I'm talking about.) Use some kind of internal tubing like an old scrap seat post or other pipe to make sure the thing goes on straight. It has to be slotted at the top, like the old piece, and the old post clamp needs to fit on it.

If you do go this route, in the future, make certain you have a few inches of seat post down in past the seat tube junction, to prevent a recurrence. This is probably especially important on an electrik moped styled bike, where the rider has a tendency to ride over bumps and potholes with most of your body weight on the saddle.

If you do find out the frame is heat treated aluminum, don't waste any more money on it. Consider this a life lesson on seat post insertion depth.
Old 02-12-20, 06:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Seeing how "cleanly" it broke near the toe of the weld (on the upper side) I'd consider this to be a lack of needed heat treatment after welding.

Maybe you'd have at least a taste of revenge by reporting an unsafe product to-
https://www.cpsc.gov/
Old 02-12-20, 06:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I'd like to hear a little more info such as how far the seatpost was inserted and how much does the OP weigh before trashing the mfr. Not taking any sides, manufacturing farts happen. Where I live I see plenty of RAD E bikes and have never heard of any frame failures and thinking of getting one for a relative so I want to know if this frame is likely to break or possibly user error.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-12-20, 07:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Seeing how "cleanly" it broke near the toe of the weld (on the upper side) I'd consider this to be a lack of needed heat treatment after welding.

Maybe you'd have at least a taste of revenge by reporting an unsafe product to-
https://www.cpsc.gov/

...I've seen a number of similar failures on homeless bikes here, where someone is riding with little or no seat post below the top tube intersection.
Not all aluminum frames get heat treated, and Rad power is not going for a lightweight frame. They're more putting out 50-60 pound fatter tyre e-bikes on the moped model.

I only know this because the guys across the street from me bought two of them last year. So far they seem to like them.
Old 02-12-20, 07:28 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The seat post was about three inches short of the limit mark screened on to the post. I'm 6'3 and weigh weigh 200 lbs. Whats significant to me is that I've owned eight bikes in the last forty years, still own four them and all were fitted to my size and weight. The bikes range from a 1979 Raleigh Tourist to a cheap Chinese Citizen folder. None of those bikes has had their seat tube fail. Without having a background in strength of materials engineering that's my basis for thinking that this is a problem with the Rad bike frame. I'm sure I'm an outlier on their product failures but I'm also sure that their saying tough luck to someone with an 18 month old bike with 1600 miles on it with a catastrophic failure ending the usability of the bike is not confidence inspiring customer service.

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'd like to hear a little more info such as how far the seatpost was inserted and how much does the OP weigh before trashing the mfr. Not taking any sides, manufacturing farts happen. Where I live I see plenty of RAD E bikes and have never heard of any frame failures and thinking of getting one for a relative so I want to know if this frame is likely to break or possibly user error.
Old 02-12-20, 07:29 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
As youve read above:

1) Aluminum frames must be made of good quality alloy and be properly welded and heat treated to be strong and useful.
2) The fact that your frame broke indicates that it either not quality allow, not properly welded, and/or not properly heat treated.
3) You could weld the frame, but if the alloy is poor, it will break again.
4) You could weld the frame, but you'd have to heat treat it and this would require refinishing it.

There are no safe, low cost options for repair. Saw the top tube with a hacksaw (to prevent the great unwashed from trying to fix it and creating an unsafe situation) and buy a new frame.
Old 02-12-20, 07:43 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Good idea.

If you want to keep using the bike, and are creative, make up something like this, but longer. Just grind off the jagged edges where the frame is broken, but don't bother welding to it.
Old 02-12-20, 08:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
If you want to keep using the bike, and are creative, make up something like this, but longer. Just grind off the jagged edges where the frame is broken, but don't bother welding to it.
This is terrible advice. The OP states that he had the seatpost inserted plenty far enough and did not otherwise abuse the bike, and it still failed catastrophically. The frame is not safe.
Old 02-12-20, 09:04 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by erileykc
The seat post was about three inches short of the limit mark screened on to the post. I'm 6'3 and weigh weigh 200 lbs. Whats significant to me is that I've owned eight bikes in the last forty years, still own four them and all were fitted to my size and weight. The bikes range from a 1979 Raleigh Tourist to a cheap Chinese Citizen folder. None of those bikes has had their seat tube fail. Without having a background in strength of materials engineering that's my basis for thinking that this is a problem with the Rad bike frame. I'm sure I'm an outlier on their product failures but I'm also sure that their saying tough luck to someone with an 18 month old bike with 1600 miles on it with a catastrophic failure ending the usability of the bike is not confidence inspiring customer service.
Is this the bike, or similar?
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...-commuter-bike

18 months, 1600 miles is well outside of what one would expect for failures. There are quite a few road bikes that are still on the road at 50K to 100K miles, or perhaps even more.

Weight sounds fine... but 6'3" on a "one-size-fits-all" bike with an 18.5" frame? Their website lists:
Recommended Rider Heights
5'11"- 6'5"
But, to me, that is optimistic.
It also lists:
Seatpost Diameter
27.2 mm
Seat Post
Promax, 350 mm x 27.2 mm
Did you install a longer post? You must be awfully close to the 35cm length.

27.2 is standard for yesteryear, but I would expect 31.8 to 35mm, especially with the one-size-fits-all and sloping top tube.

Is it possible your seatpost is undersized? 27.0? Putting undue stress on the mast as well as not fitting the seat tube well?
Old 02-12-20, 09:21 PM
erileykc

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This is the current version yes. I don't have documentation of the geometry for my 2018 bike. When I bought Rad offered a small and large frame and mine is the large version. I have no idea how that relates to what is now, as you say, a one size fits all bike.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Is this the bike, or similar?
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...-commuter-bike

18 months, 1600 miles is well outside of what one would expect for failures. There are quite a few road bikes that are still on the road at 50K to 100K miles, or perhaps even more.

Weight sounds fine... but 6'3" on a "one-size-fits-all" bike with an 18.5" frame? Their website lists:
Recommended Rider Heights
5'11"- 6'5"
But, to me, that is optimistic.
It also lists:
Seatpost Diameter
27.2 mm
Seat Post
Promax, 350 mm x 27.2 mm
Did you install a longer post? You must be awfully close to the 35cm length.

27.2 is standard for yesteryear, but I would expect 31.8 to 35mm, especially with the one-size-fits-all and sloping top tube.

Is it possible your seatpost is undersized? 27.0? Putting undue stress on the mast as well as not fitting the seat tube well?
Old 02-12-20, 09:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
If we could see an edge on photo of both parts, showing the fracture face we might be able to give stronger opinion as to the failure mode. This whole situation, from the less then ideal sizing/fit, the broken frame and the lack of any support from the seller/manufacturer seems like a series of choices, all less then stellar in hindsight. Andy
Old 02-12-20, 09:38 PM
CliffordK

Personally I would try butt-welding it. I struggle with aluminum welding, but a good welding shop should be able to do it for you. I'd ask about local machine shops that do aluminum, and not necessarily bike specific shops.

Ream the over-penetration and ride. Make sure the the seat post is reasonably tight, and long enough.

It does look like the front side of the mast may be damaged slightly, so perhaps clean the lower portion, then weld on an all-new upper portion of the mast. That would also allow you to slot it independent of the new weld.

According to the specs:
Frame
6061 aluminum
That is one of the most common types of structural aluminum, and should be easy to replace, and easy to weld (for a good welder).

A lot of people don't like welding onto an existing bead, although it was the tube and not the weld bead that failed.
Old 02-12-20, 09:57 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by erileykc
This is the current version yes. I don't have documentation of the geometry for my 2018 bike. When I bought Rad offered a small and large frame and mine is the large version. I have no idea how that relates to what is now, as you say, a one size fits all bike.
Do you have a photo of the bike configured like you were riding it?

Measure the seat tube from the middle of the bottom bracket to... I like to measure to the top of the top tube. But, some might measure to the top of the mast.

Like I said, start hunting for a good local welding shop that does aluminum. But, you could end up paying a couple hundred bucks for the repair, and it won't necessarily blend the paint perfectly. But, it could get you back on the road.

I can't say if it would be stronger or weaker than the original, or if other faults would eventually show up. With a long enough seat post, the mast failing like it did should be uncomfortable, but shouldn't cause a crash.

Obviously other failures like a dual headtube failure could be far more dangerous.
Old 02-12-20, 10:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

The best support in the industry.

Providing our community with the best support has never been optional for us. Whether you have questions about our bikes, have already purchased one, or are just trying to decide if ebikes are right for you, our dedicated Customer Experience and Product Support teams are here to help.

"The Best Support in the Industry" may be a marketing ploy for some, but for us it's the only way we operate. With over 1,000 5-star reviews from real ebike owners, delighting you during every aspect of your ebike journey is our top priority.
...this is right off their web page.

I went there looking for any information about their frames and the construction of them.
All I could find was some references to 6061 aluminum as the current frame material. That seems to be the case for all the different models I checked.

6061 is a precipitation-hardenedaluminum alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements. Originally called "Alloy 61S", it was developed in 1935.[2] It has good mechanical properties, exhibits good weldability, and is very commonly extruded (second in popularity only to 6063).[3] It is one of the most common alloys of aluminum for general-purpose use.

Welding

6061 is highly weldable, for example using tungsten inert gas welding (TIG) or metal inert gas welding (MIG). Typically, after welding, the properties near the weld are those of 6061-T4, a loss of strength of around 40%. The material can be re-heat-treated to restore near -T6 temper for the whole piece. After welding, the material can naturally age and restore some of its strength as well. Most strength is recovered in the first few days to a few weeks. Nevertheless, the Aluminum Design Manual (Aluminum Association) recommends the design strength of the material adjacent to the weld to be taken as 165 MPa/24000 PSI without proper heat treatment after the welding. Typical filler material is 4043 or 5356.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6061_aluminium_alloy
The stuff gets used for a lot of different applications (as you can see if you read the link), and it's not always heat treated for additional strength, because with a thick enough wall size and some time at rest, it regains quite a bit of the strength lost in welding from the heat. In your case, there was obviously a lot of heat at the point of failure during construction, but I still don't get why it would break off right there with a properly sized seat post fitted in there, and inserted at least three or four inches below the bottom of the top tube/seat tube interface. So I don't have any real good answer, and i know it must have set you back maybe $1500.

They (Rad Power) advertise like there's no tomorrow (around here in NorCal anyway). So If I were you I think I'd try one more time to contact them, mention the Consumer Product Safety Commission report I intended to file requesting their product be recalled, and see what happens. As you have already stated, 18 months, 1600 miles is not much usage.

But I have to warn you that when they look at your frame, they're gonna say you didn't have the seat post inserted in far enough, and blame that as the reason for failure. That's what I thought, just looking at it, and I think most people who have seen similar failures will concur. But maybe they'll do something on your behalf just to shut you up if you go all CPSC recall on them.
Old 02-13-20, 12:10 AM
CliffordK

How was the "Minimum Insertion" developed? It is obvious why one has it... but, is there any science behind it.

For the vintage steel, I'd insert the post to an inch or two below the top tube.

Likewise, on the "Rad" bike above right, I'd still insert it to an inch or two below the top tube. But, with the 1" to 2" high mast, that would put the insertion point an inch or two lower.

Plus, of course, using different frame materials.

The other thing that happened since companies started specifying a minimum insertion point is that seatposts have grown much longer. So, standards for an 8 to 10" seatpost may not apply to a 12 to 20" seatpost.

I realize the reason for using the mast is to simplify the locking mechanism and use the band clamp. But, it may also necessarily change how the frame reacts to the seatpost.
Old 02-13-20, 02:12 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
With your (not exceptional or crazy) height and weight and the higher average speeds of an eBike I could not in good conscience recommend any repair to that frame. It is a death trap.

Welding of that frame will not be as strong as it should be because aluminum frames are supposed to be heat treated post weld, and pretty much noone is going to sign up to completely dismantle that bike, tig weld the seat tube together, throw it an oven for a couple hours at 800-1000F, repaint the frame, and reassemble the bike for less than the cost of a not-terrible ebike new.

If I had a death wish and too much time I'd probably file down the broken seat tube, sand the inside of the seat tube clean, JB weld a 27.2 post in with a ID of <22.2mm, ream it to 22.2mm, and use a 22.2mm post.

As it's a hub drive ebike, I think the only real ebike specific feature of the frame is the mounts for the battery. You could probably install the eBike components on another bike frame if you fabricated a battery mount onto a sturdy rear rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.