Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Going backwards. 7 sp freewheel to 6 sp,

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-13-20, 01:34 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts

This is an ebike issue. I've got a 135mm motor/hub that was machined incorrectly to be 137mm. I have adjusted the spacers under the freewheel to make it 135mm, but the small gear is too close to the frame. Don't want to spread the frame.

How about a 6 speed freewheel?, They should be thinner? I'll need a 6 speed shifter too? Will the derailleur motion be correct with the new shifter, or does that need to be replaced too?

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 02-13-20 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-13-20, 07:40 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Depends on the freewheel. Some SunTour freewheels used threaded cogs in the outer two positions so you could remove the smallest and still have one threaded cog to retain the rest. Or you might be able to grind the frame where the small cog interferes; not recommended but doable. I've done it. We probably need photos to better judge. Index shifting could be affected but friction shifting would continue to work with the limit screws adjusted. A lot to consider but probably not insurmountable.
Old 02-13-20, 08:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Shimano 6-speed and 7-speed freewheels differ in width by only about 3 mm. If that's enough then it will work. You will need a 6-speed shifter but indexing 6-speeds are rare so you may need to use friction shifting. However, Sun Tour's (now very rare) Ultra-6 freewheel has the same spacing as a Shimano HG 7-speed freewheel and is even narrower than a standard 6-speed. It should work with your current shifters if you can find one.
Old 02-13-20, 09:16 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Unless the frame is so rigid it's difficult to spread, I wouldn't worry about spreading 2mm.
Old 02-13-20, 11:05 AM
Doc_Wui

Appreciate the feedback!.

It's a 20" folder frame with short chainstays and built in rear rack, so it's very rigid. My Shimano 7 speeds are 13.4mm wide. I believe 3 mm would do it.
Old 02-13-20, 11:25 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I'm totally unfamiliar with "electrified bikes", but is there a spacer on the NDS that could be shortened a couple mm?
Old 02-13-20, 11:42 AM
Doc_Wui

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'm totally unfamiliar with "electrified bikes", but is there a spacer on the NDS that could be shortened a couple mm?
There ought to be, because I think it would be useful for setting the rotors. There isn't though. Here's the NDS. They should have turned down that shelf another 2 mm. It's often needed to get the rotors to fit right. I'm using rim brakes.

Here's the drive side. I had to take 2-3 mm off one of the spacers.

Old 02-14-20, 03:45 PM
Doc_Wui

It's in. Shimano MF-TZ500-6 14-28. Comes in at 31.8 mm, vs 34.1mm for a Shimano TZ-500-7, and 2.3mm was more than enough for the chain to clear the dropouts. The SIS 7 speed barrel shifter works fine on the test stand. stopping at 6. I ordered a 6 speed trigger model though.