Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How's this for multi-modal commute?!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 09:55 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

I didn't check the weather forecast for today so it was my usual road bike with the skinny tires. Nice dry ride to work. Here in Southern Ontario we got quite a bit of snow during the day today, so needless to say by quitting time the roads were well-covered with more than just a dusting. Riding was out of the question, not only because of the snow, but the darkness. Would have made the commute more than a little dangerous. So I opted to run the 18-km back home. It took just about 100 minutes, or about twice the normal commute time on my bike, but it felt much more comfortable.

In hindsight though, even if I knew it was going to snow and had brought my winter cross bike with the 35-mm studs I still would not have been comfortable riding under these conditions. It's one thing riding early in the morning when traffic is sparse, but the afternoon rush hour, paired with the lack of daylight and the treacherous road conditions, would have been a good recipe for disaster.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-16-18, 10:05 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar situation happen to me yesterday. I'm only 4 miles from home but I rode in, we received what looked like at least three inches of snow. I left work at 6 PM and rode home very very slowly on my slicks...

i was caught off guard by how windy it was. I really couldn't see because the snow was being blown into my eyes. I assumed that people who were driving at speed probably couldn't see me very well and or weren't being very careful in the first snowfall of the year so I took it very easy on the sidewalk. I know, not ideal, but I pedaled calmly past two separate accidents of people who had hit a curb and severely damaged their front wheels.

I'd say you did the right thing being comfortable running. Live to ride another day.
Old 11-16-18, 04:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I didn't check the weather forecast for today so it was my usual road bike with the skinny tires. Nice dry ride to work. Here in Southern Ontario we got quite a bit of snow during the day today, so needless to say by quitting time the roads were well-covered with more than just a dusting. Riding was out of the question, not only because of the snow, but the darkness. Would have made the commute more than a little dangerous. So I opted to run the 18-km back home. It took just about 100 minutes, or about twice the normal commute time on my bike, but it felt much more comfortable.

In hindsight though, even if I knew it was going to snow and had brought my winter cross bike with the 35-mm studs I still would not have been comfortable riding under these conditions. It's one thing riding early in the morning when traffic is sparse, but the afternoon rush hour, paired with the lack of daylight and the treacherous road conditions, would have been a good recipe for disaster.

Thanks for reading.
I approve ...it just goes to show how important it is to cross train and maintain physical fitness. You never know what life may throw at you. Most people couldn't even walk that distance, let alone run it...great job.
Old 11-16-18, 06:53 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I didn't check the weather forecast for today so it was my usual road bike with the skinny tires. Nice dry ride to work.

Here in Southern Ontario we got quite a bit of snow during the day today, so needless to say by quitting time the roads were well-covered with more than just a dusting. Riding was out of the question, not only because of the snow, but the darkness. Would have made the commute more than a little dangerous.

So I opted to run the 18-km back home. It took just about 100 minutes, or about twice the normal commute time on my bike, but it felt much more comfortable.

Thanks for reading.
So true about commuting in the dark, morning vs evening, and the vagaries of the intervening weather. Earlier this week I replied to this Commuting thread,
It must be winter again":
Originally Posted by medic75
And so it begins. I didn’t bother to check the weather before leaving this morning and rode the wrong bike My only hope is that it doesn’t get bad enough that they begin to put salt on the roads.

I don’t want to expose this bike to any of that crap. That is why I bought a winter beater
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Just three days ago, I replied to your thread of 9-18,Considering winter commuting - need advise
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I think of winter riding as game in which “winning” is figuring out how to ride more days comfortably and safely. In my experience, if you start winter riding in clear/dry conditions, then gradually ratchet up to conditions with more precip, you get accustomed to the seasonal challenge and learn which gear is appropriate.

For some the bike answer is a beater, for others it can be something quite different.
Nicely said. My slogan is "Gear and gumption.” My take on winning, in any bad weather, is taking the correct bike...my pristine carbon fiber bike on dry (non-salted) roads, and the beater otherwise.

I lose when I take the beater and the roads are dry in both directions, or when I take the carbon fiber on a messy road
In reply to this Winter Cycling thread “Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?," I posted:
...Since I have excellent Commuter Rail as an alternative commute, even on which to take my bike, I have frankly disdained busses, which are more accesible and frequent on my routes.

Last week I did take a bus with my bike, and was pleased with the service, and carrying capacity, so now that looks like a primary emergency measure
How I Use The NYC Metrocard and Bike

Of course, as a resident of NYC’s rival Northeast Metropolis, I just had to post about our "beloved" MBTA
I have been impressed by Toronto’s mass transit system. How well can it accommodate you and your bike?

For myself, it’s rare I can leave for home before 7 PM for my 14 mile, off-peak reverse commute, and by that time, traffic is pretty light. Except for about a one mile dark stretch, I feel pretty safe, but peering frequently in my rearview mirror. More often though, I take the Commuter Rail home.

Thanks for the opprtunity to reply. .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-16-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 07:19 PM
mcours2006

How's this for multi-modal commute?!So true about commuting in the dark, morning vs evening, and the vagaries of the intervening weather. Earlier this week I replied to this Commuting thread, It must be winter again": In reply to this Winter Cycling thread “Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?, I posted:I have been impressed by Toronto’s mass transit system. How well can it accommodate you and your bike?
Toronto's transit system is great if you live near the downtown core area, or somewhere close to the subway line, and if I lived and worked there it wouldn't be an issues. But because I'm in the suburbs the buses don't run as often and it'd involve a substantial amount of walking it didn't make sense for me to use it. I figure on a day like yesterday it'd have taken me just about as long to use transit as it is to run.

I ended up leaving the bike at work. Conditions were just bad this morning, so I opted to drive there.

None of us are too please with the late fall snow.
Old 11-16-18, 07:24 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I approve ...it just goes to show how important it is to cross train and maintain physical fitness. You never know what life may throw at you. Most people couldn't even walk that distance, let alone run it...great job.
Thanks

Several people asked me during the day yesterday what I was planning to do as the snow was coming down, and when I replied that I was going to try to run it they had to think for a moment what that meant. People are easily impressed with feats that are quite ordinary. You get spoiled sitting behind the wheel of your air-conditioned/heated, health-sucking, obesity-promoting, sensory-depriving, air-polluting mobile.
Old 11-16-18, 08:15 PM
Jim from Boston

...I posted:I have been impressed by Toronto’s mass transit system. How well can it accommodate you and your bike?

For myself, it’s rare I can leave for home before 7 PM for my 14 mile, off-peak reverse commute, and by that time, traffic is pretty light. Except for about a one mile dark stretch, I feel pretty safe, but peering frequently in my rearview mirror. More often though, I take the Commuter Rail home.

Thanks for the opprtunity to reply. .
Toronto's transit system is great if you live near the downtown core area, or somewhere close to the subway line, and if I lived and worked there it wouldn't be an issues.

But because I'm in the suburbs the buses don't run as often and it'd involve a substantial amount of walking it didn't make sense for me to use it. I figure on a day like yesterday it'd have taken me just about as long to use transit as it is to run.

I ended up leaving the bike at work. Conditions were just bad this morning, so I opted to drive there.

None of us are too please with the late fall snow.
Thanks for the reply, Like real estate, for cycle commuting…Location, location, location.
Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?

I too ride on urban / suburban routes with similar measures, but early, before 6 AM. I envision going to an indoor ATM machine to fix a flat, so I carry a bank card too…

I have only about three times called a taxi on my decades of commuting, all in temperate weather. I haven’t used Uber yet, so I don’t know how long wait (and inactive) times would be, especially in the early AM,so I would prefer to keep moving in the cold.

PS: I also use Kevlar tire liners year round, even on my fair weather carbon fiber road bike, to hopefully forestall flats.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
How Do You Feel About Winter?

Love it?
Hate it?
Ambivalent?
Not Applicable (live in Hawaii)?
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Discuss!!!
Accept it.
PS: Just after posting, I saw this reply to this General Cycling thread, "Do you sometimes feel like you hate your bike?":
My bikes are like my children--I love all of them, and the one I favour varies from moment to moment, day to day.

I'll tell you what I hate, though. It's winter! It's the cold, the snow, ice, frozen brake lines, numb toes and fingers. That's what I hate!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-17-18 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-17-18, 08:29 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
I had a similar situation happen to me yesterday. I'm only 4 miles from home but I rode in, we received what looked like at least three inches of snow. I left work at 6 PM and rode home very very slowly on my slicks...
Same here. I'd call this 'inertial cycling'. Steer when snow allows you to and use your inertia to stay upright when being pushed around. And plan your braking distance according to your inertia.
Old 11-17-18, 09:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have bus service less than a quarter mile from my home and office, and I have used that in situations like yours, It can take up to 90 minutes, versus ~50 for the ride home (~40 for the ride to work) and ~25 minutes driving.

My commute is ~15 kilometer and I couldn't imagine running it.

Kudos on that.

How old are you?
Old 11-17-18, 09:35 AM
Jim from Boston

I didn't check the weather forecast for today so it was my usual road bike with the skinny tires. Nice dry ride to work. Here in Southern Ontario we got quite a bit of snow during the day today, so needless to say by quitting time the roads were well-covered with more than just a dusting.

Riding was out of the question, not only because of the snow, but the darkness. Would have made the commute more than a little dangerous. So I opted to run the 18-km back home.

It took just about 100 minutes, or about twice the normal commute time on my bike, but it felt much more comfortable….

i was caught off guard by how windy it was. I really couldn't see because the snow was being blown into my eyes. I assumed that people who were driving at speed probably couldn't see me very well and or weren't being very careful in the first snowfall of the year so I took it very easy on the sidewalk.

I know, not ideal, but I pedaled calmly past two separate accidents of people who had hit a curb and severely damaged their front wheels.

I'd say you did the right thing being comfortable running. Live to ride another day.
Originally Posted by alias5000
Same here. I'd call this 'inertial cycling'. Steer when snow allows you to and use your inertia to stay upright when being pushed around. And plan your braking distance according to your inertia.
Is this accomplished with studded tires?
I hate riding on studded tires, but the peace of mind they provide is priceless. A set of Marathon winter studs at CRC is actually quite reasonable at $30/tire for 35x700c

I have a few sets. I'll use them for most of the winter, though this year I might use them less as I promise myself that I'd not ride when conditions get too bad, like ice or snow.

Still, they do their job on those mornings when there's moisture in the air, or frozen puddles from melted snow.
I ride well-tended roads in Boston, and the Marathon Winters are great on hardpack snow, and usable to about 3 inches of fresh snowfall.
Originally Posted by Slaninar
…Schwalbe Marathon Winters are great tyres for roads that are ploughed - no deep snow, but relatively shallow snow, hard packed snow and ice - for those conditions they are great.

For deep snow - some model with bigger knobs, wider tyres (2" + ) and studs in case you run into an icy patch.
We had an early snowfall, then rain on Friday (11-16). I’m considering putting on my studded tires today, weeks earlier than usual, but I don’t think I have the time to do so today.
Carbide studs are reputed to last a long time. I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement. My first pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable.
Old 11-17-18, 10:24 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I am fortunate enough to have bus service less than a quarter mile from my home and office, and I have used that in situations like yours, It can take up to 90 minutes, versus ~50 for the ride home (~40 for the ride to work) and ~25 minutes driving.

My commute is ~15 kilometer and I couldn't imagine running it.

Kudos on that.

How old are you?
Thanks for the kudos I was/am a runner for many years before taking up cycling again, so running 18 km was not a big deal as I routinely run this distance on the weekends.

Like most of you who commute by bike I have a plan B, C, and even D. Plan A, of course, is always to ride, but on this occasion running home was my plan B as the accumulation on the ground wasn't so deep to make running on it difficult. Had it become difficult to run (on snow more than an inch or so), I would have resorted to plan C, which was to hitch a ride from a colleague who lives about 6 km from my home. I could run 6 km on one-inch of snow, but 18? No. Plan C would have required me to wait around for an extra hour for the colleague to finish up his work.

Plan D was to take transit. And plan E was to call wife, who did offer to come pick up, but I would never have let it get that far. Driving under those conditions would have been just as bad as riding.

FWIW, I am turning 49 this year, but age is just a number. I am not defined by it
Old 11-17-18, 10:26 AM
mcours2006

Is this accomplished with studded tires?We had an early snowfall, then rain on Friday (11-16). I’m considering putting on my studded tires today, weeks earlier than usual, but I don’t think I have the time to do so today.
I had taken out my winter studded beast this morning. I thought I'd take it out and ride it for a couple of hours to iron out any issues and to get saddle time. That lasted all of five minutes when I remembered how much I hated riding on studs. But it's ready when I need it.
Old 11-17-18, 11:44 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

In case you were referring to me: no, I was still on 32mm slicks in 5-8cm of snow.
Now studs are out, but streets are cleared. Hello winter.
Old 11-17-18, 11:53 AM
Jim from Boston

I had taken out my winter studded beast this morning. I thought I'd take it out and ride it for a couple of hours to iron out any issues and to get saddle time. That lasted all of five minutes when I remembered how much I hated riding on studs.

But it's ready when I need it.
We had an early snowfall, then rain on Friday (11-16). I’m considering putting on my studded tires today, weeks earlier than usual, but I don’t think I have the time to do so today.
Not to dispute your preferences, but I have posted:
...I have 30 C Schwalbe Marathon studded tires, the narrowest I know of. I've not had a significant snow challenge with them since I ride well-plowed roads, but the previous (?) 35 C tires were good up to about 3 inches of new snow.

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
Originally Posted by tsl
…. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get saltedBroken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend
Originally Posted by anx
I wish I had mine today for 5-10 minutes for the icy patches I hit (see above),but with the warmth they would have overkill for 90% of my ride…
I looked at the upcoming forecast for this week:rain on Monday and Tuesday, with low tmperatures, 20-24° F (-7 to -4° C) on Tuesday and Wednesday. Since this weekend is my only chance before then to mount the studded tires, I will try to do so.

I only have one beater bike.
...As a busy early morning commuter, it’s just too much trouble to change tires with the weather.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-17-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 12:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I used to do that when I was doing triathlons. Ride in the morning, run home.
Old 11-17-18, 03:40 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl …. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get saltedBroken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend
I had taken out my winter studded beast this morning. I thought I'd take it out and ride it for a couple of hours to iron out any issues and to get saddle time. That lasted all of five minutes when I remembered how much I hated riding on studs. But it's ready when I need it.
Hi all!

While don’t visit or post often, I still get notifications. After being quoted, I thought I’d report in on this one.

I took a tumble on the ice the past Wednesday morning on the way to the dentist. It was our first snow to stick, and likely a one-off event for a few weeks. I knew that the ground was still warm, but one part of the route might have ice, a residential section cut in on a side hill.

I didn’t bother with mounting the studs on either the MTB or the Portland (cross/light tourer), opting for the Portland which had the cross tires already mounted.

True enough, there was ice in that section but I didn’t go down until the last intersection, where cars spinning uphill and skidding to a stop downhill had polished a mirror finish. I’d been anticipating ice, had ridden a couple of patches, so I was going slow enough that when the front wheel went out (to the downhill side) I was more or less prepared. I tucked, and landed remarkable softly on my left flank. No damage, not even bruises. Almost tumbled again trying to stand and walk from there.

Most importantly though, no witnesses!

I’d have made a different decision had I still been commuting (see OT, below), or if I’d anticipated ice on a road with traffic. But having judged things almost to the exact meter, and not having to worry about work, I went with lazy.

YMMV. I still recommend studs when in doubt, but sometimes don’t take my own advice.

What I discovered last winter was that newer studs are much nicer than older ones. They’re lighter and more supple than older models of studded tires, like my Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106s. On my MTB going from 2” (52mm) street slicks to 2.25” (57mm) Schwalbe Ice Spikers it's only barely noticeable, with regard to pedaling effort. I’m awaiting delivery of a pair of the breathtakingly-priced 45NRTH Gravdal 120 TPI 700x38mm for the Portland to see if the same holds true there.

OFF-TOPIC: To catch up folks who remember me from before, recently, and through no fault or planning of my own, I found myself retired. Yay! I plan to spend 2019 travelling to and researching three places for potential relocation in 2020: CO, AZ and HI. Yes, HI.

I’m still fairly young, 61, so I’ve been treating this as a “trial period” of retirement. (I’d been planning to work until age 70.) While it’s generally agreeable, I’m finding I’m prone to becoming a bit of a hermit, especially in foul weather, which we’ve had aplenty so far this fall. Plus I’ve put on 20 pounds without daily commuting.

I figure I’ll find something part-time in order to keep my mental health when I “land”. Or something low-stress and full time if I go completely nuts from boredom. But all three places offer better cycling year-round than here and seem interesting. So who knows?
Old 11-18-18, 05:05 AM
Jim from Boston

In case you were referring to me: no, I was still on 32mm slicks in 5-8cm of snow.
Now studs are out, but streets are cleared. Hello winter.
I was, and thanks for your reply. I'll keep your technique in mind when the snow hits. As I mentioned I have found studded tires the best on "glare," or "black" ice and hard pack snow, and OK, but tough going, for fresh snow up to about three inches.

Sill I think studs are necessary to handle what might be beneath the snow layer.

PS to @tsl: So nice to read your post; I'll reply later when I have more time.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-18-18 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 06:16 AM
mcours2006

@tsl: We missed you here for a while. I used to always count on you to make a meaningful contribution when it comes to commuting in the cold/winter.

Originally Posted by tsl
I took a tumble on the ice the past Wednesday morning on the way to the dentist. It was our first snow to stick, and likely a one-off event for a few weeks. I knew that the ground was still warm, but one part of the route might have ice, a residential section cut in on a side hill.

I didn’t bother with mounting the studs on either the MTB or the Portland (cross/light tourer), opting for the Portland which had the cross tires already mounted.

True enough, there was ice in that section but I didn’t go down until the last intersection, where cars spinning uphill and skidding to a stop downhill had polished a mirror finish. I’d been anticipating ice, had ridden a couple of patches, so I was going slow enough that when the front wheel went out (to the downhill side) I was more or less prepared. I tucked, and landed remarkable softly on my left flank. No damage, not even bruises. Almost tumbled again trying to stand and walk from there.

Most importantly though, no witnesses!

I’d have made a different decision had I still been commuting (see OT, below), or if I’d anticipated ice on a road with traffic. But having judged things almost to the exact meter, and not having to worry about work, I went with lazy.

YMMV. I still recommend studs when in doubt, but sometimes don’t take my own advice.
Yep, sounds like the conditions were quite treacherous.

Originally Posted by tsl
What I discovered last winter was that newer studs are much nicer than older ones. They’re lighter and more supple than older models of studded tires, like my Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106s. On my MTB going from 2” (52mm) street slicks to 2.25” (57mm) Schwalbe Ice Spikers it's only barely noticeable, with regard to pedaling effort. I’m awaiting delivery of a pair of the breathtakingly-priced 45NRTH Gravdal 120 TPI 700x38mm for the Portland to see if the same holds true there.
I've a set of W106's in 700x45, which are super heavy, but the few times I'd used them they were superb and I had full confidence in their abilities. I've also have a couple of sets of the Schwalbe Winter Studded in 35 mm, which, I suppose, are 'newer'. They perform well, but probably due them being narrower I don't have quite as much confidence in them.

Originally Posted by tsl
OFF-TOPIC: To catch up folks who remember me from before, recently, and through no fault or planning of my own, I found myself retired. Yay! I plan to spend 2019 travelling to and researching three places for potential relocation in 2020: CO, AZ and HI. Yes, HI.

I’m still fairly young, 61, so I’ve been treating this as a “trial period” of retirement. (I’d been planning to work until age 70.) While it’s generally agreeable, I’m finding I’m prone to becoming a bit of a hermit, especially in foul weather, which we’ve had aplenty so far this fall. Plus I’ve put on 20 pounds without daily commuting.

I figure I’ll find something part-time in order to keep my mental health when I “land”. Or something low-stress and full time if I go completely nuts from boredom. But all three places offer better cycling year-round than here and seem interesting. So who knows?
Congrats on the retirement. You spend your life making money, now you deserve to go in reverse. Enjoy it.
Old 11-19-18, 11:15 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only thing that i didn't like was the fact that the snow was wind driven and it was hitting me in the eyes. i have a small cycling cap but the brim was no help in that regard. I've since added a cheap pair of clear Dewalt lenses i got for really cheap at a local hardware store.

beyond that the only struggles i have are finding pants that shed the snow and rain well enough to justify the cost...
Old 11-19-18, 06:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
tsl, great to hear from you, it's been such a long time! When you figure out your destination (or just want to talk about your choices), I'd love to read about it here in BF commuting!

OP, you're hardcore. If that happened to me I would ask a cow-orker for a ride home, or make the call of shame to the wife. And say my prayers because if we got accumulating snow in San Diego, it's the end of the world!

(I did see snowflakes flurrying once, it was a winter morning shortly after dawn -- but nobody would call it 'snowfall')
Old 11-19-18, 07:34 PM
alias5000

beyond that the only struggles i have are finding pants that shed the snow and rain well enough to justify the cost...
I have one of these pants: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-250/Adanac-Tights
Originally intended to serve as rain pants (good for that unless you are in a deep downpour), but I also use them as additional wind proofing and warmth when it gets too cold (below -10 ish on long rides) and if I want to stay dry like you say. I like them, can be worn as add-on and packs light. Need water proofing re-applied every now and then. I have them for 4? years now.
Old 11-20-18, 05:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by tsl
Hi all!

While don’t visit or post often, I still get notifications. After being quoted, I thought I’d report in on this one...YMMV. I still recommend studs when in doubt, but sometimes don’t take my own advice.
Originally Posted by tsl
…. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get saltedBroken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend
What I discovered last winter was that newer studs are much nicer than older ones. They’re lighter and more supple than older models of studded tires, like my Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106...

OFF-TOPIC: To catch up folks who remember me from before, recently, and through no fault or planning of my own, I found myself retired. Yay! I plan to spend 2019 travelling to and researching three places for potential relocation in 2020: CO, AZ and HI. Yes, HI….

…PS to @tsl: So nice to read your post; I'll reply later when I have more time.
Hi @tsl,

As you know, I have frequently quoted your advice about studded tires, since it convinced me, especially from a resident of Rochester, NY.
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride…

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:

1. the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  2. the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  3. the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  4. the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
Speaking of the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, the Second One in Watkins Glen in 2010, and meeting you in person with the other participants was a memorable cycling experience. FYA, I have posted (link) the personal narratives and photos of all those Annual Rides through 2015.

Finally one other cycling bon mot of yours I have frequently quoted:
Originally Posted by tsl
…It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150...
…I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-18 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 09:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
It's good to see you and hear your news, @tsl.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-18, 09:26 AM
Jim from Boston

…Speaking of the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides, the Second One in Watkins Glen in 2010, and meeting you in person with the other participants was a memorable cycling experience.

FYA, I have posted (link) the personal narratives and photos of all those Annual Rides through 2015.
Hey @tsl, we did exchange some pleasant encounters:
...TSL was my first encounter. He was a remarkably hospitable host and guide to the weekend, making sure everyone had a good time. It was inspiring to hear his well-told tale of his progress in five years from a total bicycle noobie to his guru status…
The Friday Fire Tower Tour was a nice ride to introduce us to the terrain and I got a chance to ride with tsl, who rides with a fine form, as commented on by another group member…
Originally Posted by tsl
Jim From Boston wins the prize for sartorial splendor. And he has a story to tell that I first heard from the SAG wagon driver. It was a great story, and we'll wait for his return to Boston to tell us about it.
The monster uphill back to the campground was anticipated as a sign that I was almost home

I was able to ride upright the entire length without wobbling but at a cadence estimated at about 20 rpms in lowest gear…[NOT the story mentioned by tsl]
Originally Posted by tsl
Bragging or not, that little climb makes you my hero!
I hope things will be "downhill," with the wind at your back, on pleasant well-paved roads.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-18 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added bws wishes