Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Old 01-16-19, 01:54 PM
Brotisimo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First the Lynskey
then the Colian
Old 01-16-19, 02:02 PM
Brotisimo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What handlebar and brake calipers are on this?
Not sure about the stem, but the brakes look like ee.
Old 01-16-19, 02:16 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Brotisimo
First the Lynskey
Old 01-16-19, 08:09 PM
GrizzlyPeaks

Bikes: 2015 Felt z85 Aluminum frame carbon fork full 11 speed 105 + 2015 Carbon Fuji sst 2.0 full Ultegra, Reynolds assault Ltd wheels and 3t AeroNova Bars

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since this photo bike has got a new AeroNova Team Stealth bar, and a Ultegra crankset. I’ll post updated photos when weather clears (Bay Area, Ca)
Old 01-16-19, 08:13 PM
GrizzlyPeaks

Bikes: 2015 Felt z85 Aluminum frame carbon fork full 11 speed 105 + 2015 Carbon Fuji sst 2.0 full Ultegra, Reynolds assault Ltd wheels and 3t AeroNova Bars

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rainy weather/my first bike
Old 01-17-19, 11:33 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
The handlebar is an Enve SES aero with Giant Flux 1-1/4" stem. The brake calipers are Cane Creek EE "El Rosado" in magenta with matching bar end and steerer tube caps.
It looked like an SES aero but the bar end caps threw me off.

Thanks.

This is probably the hottest bike on the thread so far, and a Giant too. Who knew?

Well done.

-Tim-
Old 01-17-19, 12:33 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It looked like an SES aero but the bar end caps threw me off.

Thanks.

This is probably the hottest bike on the thread so far, and a Giant too. Who knew?

Well done.

-Tim-
Yeah Giant makes some of the best carbon in the world but they have never been know for aesthetics.
Old 01-19-19, 09:54 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
My first Aero'ish bike build. Maybe, possibly, DB's last race bike?

Old 01-19-19, 01:51 PM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
My first Aero'ish bike build. Maybe, possibly, DB's last race bike?

Nice build. How do you like your integrated bar/stem?
Old 01-19-19, 02:21 PM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Likes For Bikeracer123:
Old 01-19-19, 04:45 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Originally Posted by cycledogg
Nice build. How do you like your integrated bar/stem?
Thanks. It was a gamble as I got it for a steal before the build, but I run pretty much same length stem , rise, and drop on my other 54 TT frames so it felt right off the bat once I had my saddle dialed in.
Old 01-20-19, 04:40 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks. It was a gamble as I got it for a steal before the build, but I run pretty much same length stem , rise, and drop on my other 54 TT frames so it felt right off the bat once I had my saddle dialed in.
Esthetic,
Can you tell us a bit about the frameset? I am unfamiliar with that name.
What kind of bottom bracket?

A beauty. Any riding characteristics downside to the aero improvement? Is the bike notably faster at higher speed compared to your other more conventional tube bikes?
Old 01-20-19, 04:43 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeracer123
2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Nice and sporty bikeracer. I have those wheels and crankset but not the frame.
Old 01-20-19, 04:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
As a public service and as the Voice of the Industry , please check out the video below of what bars the pros use. This has revelevance to bar width...I have switched to all narrower bars on my road bikes and vastly enjoy them more and a 40cm bar versus 44cm...I am just over 6' tall...feels so much better and more aero...but reason for posting the following video is because of all the bike handlebar setups I see with the hooks pointing down at the ground. You guys do that because you want to raise the hoods and tip them back a bit.

A suggestion and only that is...don't fall into that trap. Instead, set up your bars like the pros. They know what they are doing and the amateur less so. As a 'priority' first set your hooks level to the ground. This is 'so much' more supportive for low grip pressure in the drops and while sprinting.

Then, push your shifters up or down on the top of the bar to suit your wrist position. I would say a universal trap is to push your shifters back. I would say although not as critical as hook position, again look at the pro position. Hoods are typically more forward. If you don't have the flexibility, then use a shorter stem to place the bar more below you. Pushing the levers back aside from wrist position is compensation for lack of flexibility or running too long a stem.

Just wanted to share and point out we can all take a page out of how the pros ride and why they do what they do. Handlebars and shifters are designed by manufacturers with a given design intent. Rotating bars and positioning shifters back isn't ergonomically what the designers had in mind.

Two bikes above display the rotated handlebar syndrome which btw is more common than not in amateur ranks but 'rarely' seen in pro ranks. This is because rotating the handlebar back raises it with a given stem rise. A bandaid. Robbing peter to pay paul. Peter is the critical hook position. Better riders want to use the drops. The drops are the most comfortable and secure hand position on the bike 'provided the hook profile is correct'. Among pros, hooks are level to the ground which feels so much more supportive and hoods aren't pushed back because reach isn't a problem.

You will see it here and it makes a notable difference while out riding.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-20-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-20-19, 07:33 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Only have one so far of this years team crit bike.

Bianchi Sempre Pro frame
Shimano Dura Ace DI2
Tacx bottle cages
Dura Ace pedals
Rotor 3D+ 170mm cranks
Power2Max NG Echo Power Meter
HED 120mm -10degree stem
Zipp SL88 Traditional Bend Bars 40CM
Ritchey Comp seat post with 20 degree offset
Pro Stealth Carbon railed saddle
Hed Stinger 6 Tubular wheels
Michelin Pro 4 25mm tires (will be changing to Vittori Corsa come season)
-(Training wheels are HED Jet 6plus with Coras G+ 25mm tires)

I know some won't like the wheels stickers but they are a sponsor and we like to rep a local brand proudly.

Old 01-21-19, 07:14 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville

Neil Pryde always hot in my books!

Neil Pryde is always hot in my books!

Here’s my submission for this time around. Almost a year on this bike now.

That's one of the hottest bikes on the planet. My Litespeed titanium bike with its red and blue accents is sitting right across the room from me as I type. I am going to type this quietly. I'd dump her in a heartbeat for your Speedvagen.
Old 01-21-19, 07:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Thanks mods for giving us this playground again. I love looking at what other folks ride. Thanks to everyone who dares to put their prized possession on display for comment. I would participate, but my garage door is faded brown.
Old 01-21-19, 08:23 AM
Esthetic

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Esthetic,
Can you tell us a bit about the frameset? I am unfamiliar with that name.
What kind of bottom bracket?

A beauty. Any riding characteristics downside to the aero improvement? Is the bike notably faster at higher speed compared to your other more conventional tube bikes?
Thank you, i think so. I sure can, long in the tooth too, as i did a fair amount of digging up on it

Its a PF30, though i'm running GXP as the frameset as i purchased it was using Shimano and had a pretty nice Praxis bottom bracket in it already.

This was their flagship frame, the Podium Equipe . Unlike most manufacturers Diamondback doesn't offer 'tiers' of carbon, every group level gets same frame, same carbon layout. This particular frame is in the mid 900g range (i'd wager more due to its candy shell paint job), but a good blend of weight and strength.

DB has had pretty radical Aerodynamic developments (Serios TT, Andean Tri bikes) for a company out of the niche fray . That said this reincarnation of the Podium got trickle down Aerodynamic touches and wind tunnel development from its Serios Time Trial bike as a base point, several design cues are evident. Particularly the chunky downtube flow out to the rounded stays, i find that the most unique aspect of the overall look to the bike

This being a 2017, it was last the year they offered rim brakes. For 2018 it was disc-only, The Podium Vitesse. From the looks of it, that marks this mode's run. Nothing for 2019, unless another incarnation is in the works.

The Podium does have some race/sprinting pedigree coming off this 2015 redesign. 2017 was a break-out year for both the men’s and women’s Rally Cycling squads: Together they won nine national championships in the US and Canada and took the overall win at five top stage races in North America. The most notable was was the Tour of California, Evan Huffman and Rob Brittons 5 man breakaway sprints in Stage 4, taking first and second , with the Tour favorite Peter Sagan coming in 6th.

The bike certainly loves to sprint, and seems to holds its speed better on the flats than my TeamMachine, albeit not finding it as lively a climber.
But honestly i have not ridden that many miles using these wheels yet to get a great feel of the whole package in desirable conditions , as i had a tire clearance issue while they were setup tubeless , so the majority of the time in the saddle i was using box rims as winter salt had already hit the roads. At this point of the year in the east coast its the low point of my fitness, really looking forward to warmer days with less headwind to grow with it more and hammer some miles on it. Also may dial front end in more, may be sliding the bars down one spacer down the steerer.

Main warning i have on the frame is the rear clearance is spotty for 25c tires. Tires like Schwalbe Pro One 25c/ Specialized 26c rubbed, while i had better luck with Giant and Hutchinson tires which have a shorter sidewall and dont plump up as tall on a 17c-20c internal rim.

Last edited by Esthetic; 01-21-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-21-19, 09:03 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MakiNn
Only have one so far of this years team crit bike.

Bianchi Sempre Pro frame
Shimano Dura Ace DI2
Tacx bottle cages
Dura Ace pedals
Rotor 3D+ 170mm cranks
Power2Max NG Echo Power Meter
HED 120mm -10degree stem
Zipp SL88 Traditional Bend Bars 40CM
Ritchey Comp seat post with 20 degree offset
Pro Stealth Carbon railed saddle
Hed Stinger 6 Tubular wheels
Michelin Pro 4 25mm tires (will be changing to Vittori Corsa come season)
-(Training wheels are HED Jet 6plus with Coras G+ 25mm tires)

I know some won't like the wheels stickers but they are a sponsor and we like to rep a local brand proudly.

Beautiful!
Old 01-21-19, 09:32 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thank you, i think so. I sure can, long in the tooth too, as i did a fair amount of digging up on it

Its a PF30, though i'm running GXP as the frameset as i purchased it was using Shimano and had a pretty nice Praxis bottom bracket in it already.

This was their flagship frame, the Podium Equipe . Unlike most manufacturers Diamondback doesn't offer 'tiers' of carbon, every group level gets same frame, same carbon layout. This particular frame is in the mid 900g range (i'd wager more due to its candy shell paint job), but a good blend of weight and strength.

DB has had pretty radical Aerodynamic developments (Serios TT, Andean Tri bikes) for a company out of the niche fray . That said this reincarnation of the Podium got trickle down Aerodynamic touches and wind tunnel development from its Serios Time Trial bike as a base point, several design cues are evident. Particularly the chunky downtube flow out to the rounded stays, i find that the most unique aspect of the overall look to the bike

This being a 2017, it was last the year they offered rim brakes. For 2018 it was disc-only, The Podium Vitesse. From the looks of it, that marks this mode's run. Nothing for 2019, unless another incarnation is in the works.

The Podium does have some race/sprinting pedigree coming off this 2015 redesign. 2017 was a break-out year for both the men’s and women’s Rally Cycling squads: Together they won nine national championships in the US and Canada and took the overall win at five top stage races in North America. The most notable was was the Tour of California, Evan Huffman and Rob Brittons 5 man breakaway sprints in Stage 4, taking first and second , with the Tour favorite Peter Sagan coming in 6th.

The bike certainly loves to sprint, and seems to holds its speed better on the flats than my TeamMachine, albeit not finding it as lively a climber.
But honestly i have not ridden that many miles using these wheels yet to get a great feel of the whole package in desirable conditions , as i had a tire clearance issue while they were setup tubeless , so the majority of the time in the saddle i was using box rims as winter salt had already hit the roads. At this point of the year in the east coast its the low point of my fitness, really looking forward to warmer days with less headwind to grow with it more and hammer some miles on it. Also may dial front end in more, may be sliding the bars down one spacer down the steerer.

Main warning i have on the frame is the rear clearance is spotty for 25c tires. Tires like Schwalbe Pro One 25c/ Specialized 26c rubbed, while i had better luck with Giant and Hutchinson tires which have a shorter sidewall and dont plump up as tall on a 17c-20c internal rim.
Wonderful review. Thanks for taking the time and all makes sense.
Congrats on building that cool bike and good luck in the forthcoming riding season.
Old 01-21-19, 09:51 AM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Beautiful!

'Thank you, so far a I love it
Old 01-21-19, 12:57 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Actually the Podium Equipe did return in 2018, but only with disc. I have one Same basic paintjob and frame shapes. I have mine with Dura Ace mechanical and hydro discs. Put around 2k on it so far, it loves to accelerate quickly, so I second that sprinting comment. However, it's a lot comfier than many other racey frames I tried out before buying the DB. Came with HED Jet 4+ disc wheels, and that's been the only problem. The rear hub seized up last week and I had to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. Not DBs fault though. It would be a shame if the bike did not make a reappearance, as it's a great frame and a great value.
Old 01-21-19, 01:53 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Sorry about the water bottle and saddle bag, but I can't be asked to go out to my shed and take a photo without them on there. Mudguards are removable, but are on for the winter.

I posted this one on the last hot or not thread. Made a few changes, namely bar tape. The colour scheme isn't for everyone, but I like it.

Old 01-21-19, 01:55 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
Sorry about the water bottle and saddle bag, but I can't be asked to go out to my shed and take a photo without them on there. Mudguards are removable, but are on for the winter.

I posted this one on the last hot or not thread. Made a few changes, namely bar tape. The colour scheme isn't for everyone, but I like it.

just repost with a proper background and let’s see what happens!
Old 01-21-19, 01:56 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I actually think the felt may be a hot for me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.