Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 07-01-19, 08:19 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Addiction LXXV

Here's the new puppy, 12 weeks old, 24 lbs, full of mischievous energy, chewing on EVERYTHING.

Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-01-19, 08:32 PM
Makel

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9, Specialized Transition, Specialized Fate, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Pointy ears.
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10893 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Awww.

rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,449 Times in 2,470 Posts
Hello
Old 07-01-19, 09:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Makel
Pointy ears.
No ****.

I say we trim the owner's ears.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-01-19, 09:12 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Here's the new puppy, 12 weeks old, 24 lbs, full of mischievous energy, chewing on EVERYTHING.
It's a puppy. Chewing on everything is their default state. You shouldn't be surprised by now.
Old 07-02-19, 03:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts

You should name him Spock.
Old 07-02-19, 05:58 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Hello
Is anybody out there?
Old 07-02-19, 06:03 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
We have gone through so many name ideas by now . . . spice, sky, stormy, sáde, samurai. We thought we had settled on sparkle, but the luster on that one faded over time, I kept thinking about that goofy teenager of the tv show by the same name. Finally we were all able to agree on Venus, so that’s what she’s stuck with. I don’t think it carries as far as most of the others when calling her name, which was my priority, but I guess it’ll do.

In regards to the ears, of course you know there’ll be critics, but you can’t please everybody. The ears are 95% of what makes a Doberman, otherwise it’s just a floppy-eared hound.
Old 07-02-19, 06:20 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Is anybody out there?
Is there anybody in there?

Old 07-02-19, 06:22 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

...of course you know there’ll be critics, but you can’t please everybody.
Really? Ive never noticed.

Old 07-02-19, 06:52 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by datlas
Beat me to it.

Old 07-02-19, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Is anybody out there?
Old 07-02-19, 07:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Well, based on last night's reading assignment from @seedsbelize, I tried nose breathing on some of the less anaerobic parts of this morning's flail and was clearly able to raise my pCO2 to the point of frank air panic or the "pink puffer" stage of COPD. There was, however, no accompanying performance benefit of which I was aware. It also occurred to me that I might be genetically unsuited to distance sports and more adapted to chess and philosophical debate, simply by virtue of the conformation of my nose.
Old 07-02-19, 07:40 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Well, based on last night's reading assignment from @seedsbelize, I tried nose breathing on some of the less anaerobic parts of this morning's flail and was clearly able to raise my pCO2 to the point of frank air panic or the "pink puffer" stage of COPD. There was, however, no accompanying performance benefit of which I was aware. It also occurred to me that I might be genetically unsuited to distance sports and more adapted to chess and philosophical debate, simply by virtue of the conformation of my nose.
Well, one advantage is you don't inhale any bugs. I tend to use nose breathing to Pace myself; otherwise I tend to go too hard too early, and then have difficulties. Difficulties around dispepsia which, oddly, manifest in my jaw. If I cut the power immediately, I can remain mounted. Otherwise it's a stop and sit down thing. Unpleasant and frustrating.
Old 07-02-19, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,285 Times in 7,226 Posts
So I see that, during my absence, entrance prior to prohibition became a four letter word.
Old 07-02-19, 08:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Well, one advantage is you don't inhale any bugs. I tend to use nose breathing to Pace myself; otherwise I tend to go too hard too early, and then have difficulties. Difficulties around dispepsia which, oddly, manifest in my jaw. If I cut the power immediately, I can remain mounted. Otherwise it's a stop and sit down thing. Unpleasant and frustrating.

Hmmm. Jaw pain can be referred from nerves in the chest, including those to the heart, and is a famous angina "equivalent." Sorry to sound like some of the amateurs around here, but jaw pain with exertion and relieved by rest is definitely worth getting checked out!

Bugs, provided they don't sting, are a welcome source of nutrition for me. My wife's description of my appearance this morning after the ride was "cadaverous."

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-02-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 09:23 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Hmmm. Jaw pain can be referred from nerves in the chest, including those to the heart, and is a famous angina "equivalent." Sorry to sound like some of the amateurs around here, but jaw pain with exertion and relieved by rest is definitely worth getting checked out!

Bugs, provided they don't sting, are a welcome source of nutrition for me. My wife's description of my appearance this morning after the ride was "cadaverous."
Thanks for the tip. I'll check with my doctor. I had decided the pressure there was caused by indigestion, which I have in abundance. The jaw thing has been a more recent addition.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-02-19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-02-19, 11:28 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I went to see my doctor a few minutes ago (yes, we are on Mexico's public option, [and we're in a village setting as opposed to the city] so I can go in any time before noon, and if the doctor has a few minutes, she'll talk to me). She disagreed on the exact destination of the nerves, believing them to be further back on the neck. I pressed her on this and she said that the jugular could be stressed, thus causing pain in one side of the jaw, but not both sides. Perhaps my pain is indeed further back, but I have no intention of testing it. In any case she cleared me for my upcoming trip to Belize, with Mrs. Seeds, as long as I don't over exert, over drink, or get overly stressed out. And she wrote up an order for an elecdtrocardiogram when I get back. She's in her 30s, if that makes a difference.
Carry on,

Old 07-02-19, 11:37 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I went to see my doctor a few minutes ago (yes, we are on Mexico's public option, [and we're in a village setting as opposed to the city] so I can go in any time before noon, and if the doctor has a few minutes, she'll talk to me). She disagreed on the exact destination of the nerves, believing them to be further back on the neck. I pressed her on this and she said that the jugular could be stressed, thus causing pain in one side of the jaw, but not both sides. Perhaps my pain is indeed further back, but I have no intention of testing it. In any case she cleared me for my upcoming trip to Belize, with Mrs. Seeds, as long as I don't over exert, over drink, or get overly stressed out. And she wrote up an order for an elecdtrocardiogram when I get back. She's in her 30s, if that makes a difference.
Carry on,
Good outcome! Sorry to be a busybody and I hope whatever it is goes away soon. Smart and dumb docs come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.
Old 07-02-19, 11:44 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Good outcome! Sorry to be a busybody and I hope whatever it is goes away soon. Smart and dumb docs come in all shapes, sizes, and ages.
I was fishing for a comment when I wrote that. A sly way around without asking outright. I did some internet research, which the doc admonished me not to do, and as a result will look more deeply into it as time goes along. I will NOT be attempting any more intervals. I will not rule out heart issues. And I appreciate your insight. I realized, a few minutes ago, that the discomfort is likely in my throat and presenting itself in the jaws. That would follow the jugular theory. Which does include angina.

Old 07-02-19, 02:58 PM
WhyFi

Me: Honey, what should we have for dinner tonight? I feel like we're in a rut, eating the same ol' things.

Wife: Leftovers?

Me:
Old 07-02-19, 03:06 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
IMO and IME you don't talk about jaw pain, you do something about it. You don’t get a bunch of second chances. My brother was having “heartburn” when playing tennis. He called and asked me what to do? Seriously? Quad bypass. The folks who have pain without a heart attack are the lucky ones. I wasn’t so lucky. Don’t ignore it. If it is serious, it won’t warn you forever. See a cardiologist. A village GP may be a fine doctor, but is in no position to help you properly.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-02-19, 03:11 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Me: Honey, what should we have for dinner tonight? I feel like we're in a rut, eating the same ol' things.

Wife: Leftovers?

Me:
I keep trying to get my chef SIL to open a restaurant called “Play It Again Sam”, comfort food dishes at dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day. Hot sandwiches made out of the meatloaf and meatballs, roast beef, roast chicken, turkey/gravy/dressing/cberry sauce, etc. leftover from the night before. Lots of gravy on everything. Chicken pot pie from the chicken soup. And so on. He just shrugs.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Likes For rpenmanparker:
Old 07-02-19, 03:17 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I keep trying to get my chef SIL to open a restaurant called “Play It Again Sam”, comfort food dishes at dinner and leftovers for lunch the next day. Hot sandwiches made out of the meatloaf and meatballs, roast beef, roast chicken, turkey/gravy/dressing/cberry sauce, etc. leftover from the night before. Lots of gravy on everything. Chicken pot pie from the chicken soup. And so on. He just shrugs.
Transformed leftovers can be great, but that's not what my wife is talking about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.