Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Neat multi-port USB charger recommendation?

Old 12-28-19, 02:13 PM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Neat multi-port USB charger recommendation?

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a small, good quality multi-port USB charger (say 4 ports) with a high charging output per port?
I’m talking about a 220v plug-into-the-wall type, with European and UK adapters. I’ve seen ‘Anker PowerPort4’ recommended, but these seem to come in various capacities and I just don’t know anything about that stuff.

Last edited by tomgdaly; 12-28-19 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-28-19, 02:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've found a couple of 110V USB chargers. The first one had an issue that it would start fine, then shut off when it deemed that no charge was necessary... which was bad when say trickle charging a phone, or some devices that had small batteries/draw.

The second one didn't have that issue. I haven't been using it as much lately... so I'll hunt it down later today.

Ahhh... wait, do you use 220V? There should be some direct wall plug-in types. But, a transformer charger might be easier.
Old 12-28-19, 03:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
the multi-port usb charger I bought here in the U.S. works fine on 220v, just need an adapter for the plug. It says it's multi-voltage on the back, just like most usb chargers. I was a little scared to plug it in at first though
Not sure I would recommend it, because I think they were discontinuing it.
Old 12-28-19, 04:41 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
I got this for Anker 5 port (1 USB C for future proofing). Mainly for rando rides when I come in at 3am and need to charge lights/phone/gps all at once.

You can get international cables as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K5ZJXF/
Old 01-08-20, 01:45 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Look for a GaN (gallium nitride) charger. There's a kickstarter going for one right now that will deliver a total of 100 W through 4 ports, but there are a number of smaller chargers you can buy right now that would be more than adequate for charging bike computers, lights, phones. The Anker powerport is probably a good deal.

If you're buying new gadgets, look for ones that can be charged by USB-C with power delivery (PD). Aside from having a less annoying connector, these can take more power and can therefore charge faster—these are still fairly uncommon, but that will change. And of course, look for a charger with USB-C PD ports.
Old 01-09-20, 07:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We have the 4 port Anker and it works great! We use it here and while traveling in Europe. We do have the converter plugs,cheap ones, to use while overseas.
Old 01-10-20, 01:06 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
If your phone uses a USB-C connector (or a Lightning connector), a charger with a USB-C port is best. To support fast charging it should support USB-PD (power delivery). For iPhone's there are USB-C to Lightning conversion cables.

Some A/C adapters also support Qualcom QuickCharge (QC), an earlier standard that also allows fast charging, but not all phones that support some kind of fast charging can take advantage of QC. Anker has something called PowerIQ which is similar to Qualcom QC. PowerIQ adapters generally support charging up to 12 W (2.4 A at 5 V, the maximum in older iPhones).

As the more open standard, USB-PD is the safer, more future-proof bet. With it, modern phones can draw as much as 15-18 W (e.g. 5 V / 3 A, 9 V / 2 A). It works with all the latest iPhones and recent Google Pixel models (the latter don't support QC -- USB-PD only!).

If you want to grab the most amount of juice during the least amount of time, having a USB battery that can be quick charged with a USB-PD charger, independently of other devices you may also be charging, is great. Then you can always charge other devices from this later.The speed at which a battery takes in charge is limited both by the charging standard and by the battery capacity. Generally a larger battery can be charged with a stronger current (more mA), allowing it to take in more mAh in a given time, but this is also limited by the charging standard (USB, USB+QC, USB-PD) that dictates input voltages and maximum charging currents (e.g.: 5 V / 500 mA = 2.5 W, 5 V / 1 A = 5 W, 5 V / 2.4 A = 12 W, 5 V / 3 A = 25, 9 V / 2 A = 18 W). Having lots of low-power charging ports on an A/C charger becomes less important if you can always top up from a big USB battery which in turn can be quick charged.

Multi-voltage input (100-240 V, 50/60 Hz) can be taken virtually for granted for USB chargers and other mobile device power adapters such as laptop A/C adapters. Only a physical plug adapter should be needed for such units to make them work worldwide.
Likes For joewein:
Old 02-10-20, 11:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I was at the building supply store the other day, and they had 110V outlets, either:
Two 110V, Two USV
or
Four USV, No 110V

I think I've seen similar setups in hotels.

Anyway, if you have a place, say on your kitchen counter that you like, you could swap a plug.
Old 02-11-20, 07:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have about 8 of those outlets at our house. Sure would be nice if they were more common at hotels. The hotels that I stay at often don't have convenient outlets
Old 02-11-20, 01:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have about 8 of those outlets at our house. Sure would be nice if they were more common at hotels. The hotels that I stay at often don't have convenient outlets
And when in Europe, they often only have one place to plug into. I got so tired of having my USA charger fall out of the USA to EU plug adapter, I finally bought a charger with an EU plug for those rare times I go there.