Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help with vintage Shogun build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 07:46 AM
__Dom__

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I picked up a vintage shogun for next to nothing and I’m looking to overhaul it. I’m having problems locating any info on the company and models over the years. Mainly I’m looking for bottom bracket and rear spacing and tube specs. I’m also unfamiliar with these old hubs and cassettes (shimano 5 speed) and their removal. I’m guessing I need a bottom bracket puller specific to this type. The bike says “100 high tensile steel” on the top tube. I’ll try to post some pics but I seem to be having trouble with doing so. Anyhow any advice of resources or if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Old 04-04-20, 07:49 AM
__Dom__

Pics

I cannot get pics up on this. If someone wants to see them I guess just inbox me your e-mail and I’ll do it that way.
Old 04-04-20, 07:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You came to the right place to get advice on the bike. The site doesn't let newbies post pics until they have 10 posts (it's an anti-spam measure) but someone will help you get those pics posted. We'll need pictures of the whole bike from the drive side and any close ups.

But basically with an old bike, you want to overhaul the parts (headset, bottom bracket, hubs, and pedals) with fresh grease and ideally new ball bearings (but you can use a degreaser on the old bearings if you want to recycle them). You will want to replace the consumables (tires, chain, cables, cable housing, and tape).

The handtools you likely own will get you started but you will need some bike specific tools as well such as a crank puller and cone wrenches.

This will do the job for to pull the arms off so you can overhaul the bottom bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Com...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Double ended cone wrenches:

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-DCW...g-goods&sr=1-7

For the rear hub, the right tool depends on whether you have a cassette or a freewheel so pics will really help here.
Old 04-04-20, 08:07 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic assist

Old 04-04-20, 08:10 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Old 04-04-20, 08:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Old 04-04-20, 08:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Old 04-04-20, 08:14 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Old 04-04-20, 08:16 AM
__Dom__

Thanks!
Likes For __Dom__:
Old 04-04-20, 09:13 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Good project and welcome to the Bike Forums. This is a rough idea of what tools will best assist your restorative efforts, and tuning efforts, and cleaning efforts. The point is, there are many different tools that facilitate working on an old, or new for that matter, bicycle. Have a look at Home Made and Store Bought Bicycle Tools. Get what you need, when you need it. This is, without doubt, the best tool in my tool box - kindasorta - of value if you work on bikes A LOT...
Old 04-04-20, 09:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Good Morning Dom and welcome!!! I am sure it has been mentioned but I would search out a Co-Op and see about using the tools there to start. You can easily remove and service most everything but the bottom bracket (BB) and remove the freewheel (FW) with common mechanics tools. Once you have all the other parts off the frame you can clean and wax it, then head to the Co-Op to get the BB worked on and the FW removed from the back wheel.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-04-20, 09:39 AM
__Dom__

I’ve got everything stripped except the crank and bottom bracket. Anyone have any insight into those cranks? Anyone know what specific bb puller I’m gonna need? I don’t think I’ll be able to do too much interacting with other bike folks due to the pandemic and all. Also any insight on cracking those hubs open? I’d like to get started on the front just to see if they’re even salvageable. I don’t know if I’ll go ahead with the project if it means a new wheelset. Wasn’t really looking to spend that much unless someone knows of an inexpensive alternative for replacing.
Old 04-04-20, 10:07 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by __Dom__
I’ve got everything stripped except the crank and bottom bracket. Anyone have any insight into those cranks? Anyone know what specific bb puller I’m gonna need? I don’t think I’ll be able to do too much interacting with other bike folks due to the pandemic and all. Also any insight on cracking those hubs open? I’d like to get started on the front just to see if they’re even salvageable. I don’t know if I’ll go ahead with the project if it means a new wheelset. Wasn’t really looking to spend that much unless someone knows of an inexpensive alternative for replacing.
Old bikes like this sometimes are easy to work and sometimes they're just a PITA. Pretty much any non-crashed bike can be saved but the question is whether it is worth your time and effort.

The BB tool I posted in no. 3 above will do the job. It's a simple Park crank puller. Here is a link to the Park website:

https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...d-cranks-cwp-7

A socket wrench will take the nut off; this is likely a 14 mm.

This is a freewheel and it looks as it if takes the Shimano freewheel tool. You will need to remove the outer nut to get the tool to fit in. Also this takes some torque. Lock the tool down tight to the wheel before trying to unscrew; best is to use a vice if you have one to hold the tool and turn the wheel.

https://www.parktool.com/product/fre...remover-fr-1-3
Old 04-04-20, 12:43 PM
__Dom__

What kind of grease should I be using for hubs/bb?
Old 04-04-20, 12:51 PM
bikemig 

I use this tub of park bike grease

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-PPL...6026224&sr=8-2

But people here can argue all day long as to which is the best grease to use or the best lube for your chain.
Old 04-04-20, 03:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Do a thorough going over all the threaded fasteners with a good quality penetrating oil before attempting disassembly. Getting things apart on an old bike like that can require a great deal leverage & brute force. Make sure to use the correct tools. Wear gloves. Be good. Have fun.
Old 04-04-20, 05:00 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Cool starter project. You've got some good suggestions above so I'll just watch how the build goes.
Old 04-04-20, 06:30 PM
__Dom__

So I’ve got about 75% of the paint off using a grinder and I have to say that brushed metal look is freaking sexy. Anyone have any experience with leaving a frame bare? As to what kind of steps can be taken/ products to protect the bare metal?
Old 04-05-20, 06:27 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 2,055 Posts
What kind of grease should I be using for hubs/bb?
An often used grease for all the bearings is marine boat trailer grease from the auto parts store.
There are lots of places to buy grade 25 bearing balls to replace bearings cheaply.
https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Assorte.../dp/B018B7D05K
Old 04-05-20, 06:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,392 Times in 2,055 Posts
The HI Ten steel, stem shifters, "Custom" crank, nutted axles, and brake "safety" levers say it's a lower end bike. If you're overhauling it to sell and make money it's not a good candidate.
If you're overhauling it as a rider and to get experience it'll be great for that.
You'll also probably want to replace what we call "consumables" - Inner & outer cables, although you can often get away with greasing up the old ones on these bikes with friction shifters, bar tape, and especially old hard brake pads, tires.
Besides cleaning the freewheel you'll probably want to remove, flush with WD40, reoil, and reinstall. Beware that freewheel may not use the "current" Shimano removal tool, but the "old style" Shimano tool. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...freewheel-type

Good "how to" resources are
Sheldon Brown
Randy's "My old ten speeds"
RJ the bike guy
Park tool
Old 04-05-20, 07:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I’ve got everything stripped except the crank and bottom bracket. Anyone have any insight into those cranks? Anyone know what specific bb puller I’m gonna need?
A standard 22mm crank extractor should work.

Also any insight on cracking those hubs open? I’d like to get started on the front just to see if they’re even salvageable.
A set of cone wrenches (13-14-15-16mm) and metric combo wrenches (probably 15mm for the front hub locknuts and 17mm for the rear) will open the hubs for inspection/service. If you have a bench mounted vise, and axle vise can make this easier.

The five-sprocket rear cluster suggests you have a freewheel rather than a freehub. The remover tool depends on the freewheel make/model. Shimano is most likely; the TL-FW20 if it's an old-style freewheel, or the TL-FW30 if it's a newer, Uniglide-type freewheel. Clean off the faceplate on the freewheel and see if there is any model designation.

Old 04-05-20, 07:54 AM
__Dom__

Thanks for all the info folks. The front hub was actually very easy to crack open. I’m picking up the crank puller today and am trying to see if someone has the bottom bracket tools locally. Is there any way to convert these old hubs into single speed?
Old 04-05-20, 10:30 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Is there any way to convert these old hubs into single speed?
Just need a single speed freewheel. For example:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=403
Old 04-05-20, 06:07 PM
__Dom__

I’m stripping the frame and I think I’m gonna leave it bare because it looks awesome. What’s the best decided on technique for protecting the metal?
Old 04-05-20, 06:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
What’s the best decided on technique for protecting the metal?
Probably to leave the original paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.