Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with removing stripped quill stem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 11:23 PM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

A while back I picked up a rough Cannondale ST400 frame and fork to build up as a basic tourer for a friend. Just now getting around to breaking down what little is there and realize I overlooked the fact that the hex is stripped out (clearly someone was trying to get it out for a while) on the quill. Is there any other way to remove it? The stem isn't stuck (loose enough to turn some if I hold the front wheel/fork steady and turn it), but it does seem there might be a good distance to go with getting it out.

Hoping there's some method you all know of for dealing with stripped hex?
Old 02-24-15, 11:32 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Use an easy-out screw extractor.... many different styles, brands, flavors, and prices. Basic idea is the same: Hard metal edge cuts into the screw when turned left.
Old 02-24-15, 11:37 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
There are many methods, don't expect it to be easy though.

Just a quick search brings up this: (for a motorcycle part, however the same methods may work)

Do you have access to power tools? Of course, I can't see the heads, so I can't tell how badly they are damaged, but you can buy a hex wrench which is just a little too large and then grind the six sides down a little at a time until it will just go into the head a tiny bit. Then apply a force in the unscrewing direction while tapping on the wrench with a hammer. If you can drive the hex wrench into the socket head a little and keep trying to turn the bolt, you probably will get it out. If you know someone with a welder that you trust, get them to weld something into the head which you can turn with a pair of vice grips.
I have never tried epoxy, but some how, I doubt that would work unless the bolts weren't very tight to begin with.
As a last resort and IF you would gain access to a sizeable section of the bolt shank after the cover is removed, you could drill the head off, remove the cover and attack the bolt with the vice grips. I knew a fellow that swore you could use a left hand drill bit, but I have never seen one. You might be able to buy an Easy Out that would take the bolt out, but I have never had much luck with easy outs. If you have access to a little bit of the head, you could cut a slot in the head with a dremel and use a straight slot screwdriver to turn it out.
Since you will be changing the cover anyway, it will probably help to heat the bolt with a propane torch to make it come out easier. Keep the torch away from gasoline and oil.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2212128AAdXvfM
Old 02-24-15, 11:45 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you can twist the quill, then turn the bike upside down, squirt some pb blaster down the hole of steering tube and wait overnight. You should be able to twist it out by morning.
Old 02-25-15, 12:01 AM
mnmkpedals 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
If you can twist the quill, then turn the bike upside down, squirt some pb blaster down the hole of steering tube and wait overnight. You should be able to twist it out by morning.

Ok, just "blasted" it. Trying that first since I have it on hand. Will let you know how it works in the morning. Thanks!

If no luck, will try #1 above...
Old 02-25-15, 01:04 AM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would weld a hex wrench to the bolt and then twist it out. But that's just me.. Odd jobs suggestion is a good one. You can also drill out the top of the bolt which would release the stem as well.
Old 02-25-15, 04:43 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Paramount
You can also drill out the top of the bolt which would release the stem as well.
I recently had this on a 70s Peugot sumptin-or-nuther - hex key hole all rounded out. No metric or fractional key would fit and get a grip. Too shallow for an easy-out. I was surprised how easy it was to drill out. Just be real careful as you go so you drill thu the head which releases the bolt. Avoid drilling into the stem though you may just a little. The head should spin with the drill bit as soon as it releases.

On the one I had the head of the bolt was about twice as long as others I've seen so we drilled down far enough to get and easy-out into the whole and just spun it backwards. BTW: about a week before that I had flipped the bike upside down, removed the front wheel and blew Liquid Wrench spray down the tube and let it soak for a week. May have helped.
Old 02-25-15, 07:02 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the stem is nothing special and you don't care about destroying it, you could cut through the quill and bolt just below the extension. The quill would just slide out if you grab it with a vice grip. The expander bolt could then be worked out. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but won't cost a dime if you have another stem lying around. Note: if the stem is slammed you probably shouldn't try this.
Old 02-25-15, 07:26 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
After you get the quill part way out, assuming the hex bolt moves a tad too, one you have about 3/8" showing, you should be able to grab the bolt head with vise grips.
Old 02-25-15, 07:46 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
As mentioned above...

A. Weld a hex key to the bolt.
B. Cut through the stem and bolt as high up as possible.

I dont own a welder so I'd opt for 'B'.
Old 02-25-15, 08:43 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Welding would ruin the stem. I'd rather grind a small chisel and force it into the hex recess, then turn with vise grip. The bolt probably isn't too tight.
Old 02-25-15, 09:33 AM
72Paramount
I'm a Classic Man.

Bikes: Anything with a full record group.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Welding would ruin the stem. I'd rather grind a small chisel and force it into the hex recess, then turn with vise grip. The bolt probably isn't too tight.
Most of my chisels cost more than even the best stems out there. And welding to the bolt ruins nothing. Remember, the bolt is already stripped!
Old 02-25-15, 10:07 AM
Centaurious

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak , KHS Sierra Something

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use a cutting disk on a Dremel to slot the allen head, drive a dime into the slot and turn with vice grips.
Old 02-25-15, 10:47 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
The screw extractor idea is the most straightforward and shouldn't damage the stem. Available at any hardware store.
Old 02-25-15, 11:40 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Paramount
Most of my chisels cost more than even the best stems out there. And welding to the bolt ruins nothing. Remember, the bolt is already stripped!
I was assuming an aluminum alloy stem with recessed bolt. If you can weld an hex wrench there without ruining the stem, then you're a Master Welder! And you don't really need a chisel, an old 1/4" or 5/16" drill bit could do.
Old 02-25-15, 11:47 AM
mnmkpedals 

Score one for power tools. The Blaster didn't do a lot to loosen it, and already having a larger enough metal drill bit on hand, I just drilled out the top of the bolt head. As Prowler (thanks!) said above in #7-- it was remarkably easy. Once I hit the bottom of the head, the stem just popped right out and I pulled out the remaining part of the bolt. Thanks to you all for the great advice.
Likes For mnmkpedals:
Old 02-25-15, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Maybe I am not seeing this right. Why can't the OP simply drill into the hex socket with a bit just bigger than the bolt? The hex socket should do a good job of centering the bit. Drill carefully and stop just as the gap starts to show at the bottom of the socket. Now tap the bolt down with another bolt or whatever and a hammer just like one would with a good stem. Remove stem as usual. With care the only damage will be a little scarring of the bottom of the bolt recess in the stem, something you will never see once a new bolt is in.

The OP can start with the Easy-Out approach. If that doesn't work , he can go on as I suggest. This seems awfully simple, Is there a reason it won't work? Actually, if the hole is misdrilled for the Easy-Out, it could both damage the stem a little and make centering the approach I suggest harder and possibly risk the punch slipping, doing more damage. More reason to start with that larger bit and drill once.

Again, I welcome reasons why this won't work. Edit: didn't see Prowler's post. Great minds?

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-25-15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 12:32 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
When I had this problem, I dug into my big box o' surplus hex wrenches (where do all these things come from?) I found one that is whatever the non-metric size up from 6mm is and refaced the business end of it to fit. On my bench grinder, I ground down all six faces of the hex wrench so it tapered down just a bit and then pounded the wrench into the mangled recessed bolt hard enough to basically reshape the thing to a new size. The bolt is actually still usable, though I doubt I'll ever put it back on a stem.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-06-20, 11:19 AM
Spierce4337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently got the same problem on a Merckx MXL that I'm restoring. Attached is a photo (frustratingly, because I've got less than 10 posts I'm not able to post a photo).

Given that the bolt is rounded and effectively useless, I figure drilling out as the OP did would probably be the best solution.

Just wanted to inform the community to build some testimony for this method. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-06-20, 04:35 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
When I had this problem, I dug into my big box o' surplus hex wrenches (where do all these things come from?) I found one that is whatever the non-metric size up from 6mm is and refaced the business end of it to fit. On my bench grinder, I ground down all six faces of the hex wrench so it tapered down just a bit and then pounded the wrench into the mangled recessed bolt hard enough to basically reshape the thing to a new size. The bolt is actually still usable, though I doubt I'll ever put it back on a stem.
Sometimes all you need is to grind the end of a key the correct size flat. Many keys are not flat, and anyone ham-fisted enough to round out the hex socket may well have not had the key all the way down in the hole. There is often enough of a hex at the bottom for a flat-ended key to grip, if firmly seated.
Old 04-06-20, 06:16 PM
Iowegian

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Drilling it out should work. Drill slowly with a good quality bit and use plenty of light oil and you should have the head off in no time. The drill bit should be slightly wider than the shaft of the bolt but small enough to not hit the stem.
Old 04-07-20, 01:05 AM
Spierce4337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
Drilling it out should work. Drill slowly with a good quality bit and use plenty of light oil and you should have the head off in no time. The drill bit should be slightly wider than the shaft of the bolt but small enough to not hit the stem.
Thanks lowegian. Having only a 6 and an 8mm bit, I started with the 6 (hex head was 6mm too). When I realised that wasn’t going to work I moved up to the 8.

After only a couple of minutes and a bit of kickback from the drill, the head sheared right off, leaving the threaded length and the expander still inside the stem (I was lucky here as the bolt was aluminum and not steel. I assume steel would take a bit more time with the drill otherwise).

I then proceeded with a punch and a hammer on the remaining bolt length and expander, which dislodged to the bottom of fork steerer. The stem was still stuck though.

A few hours and two good soakings of WD40 and I started to get some movement in the stem. After working it side to side a bit, the stem came free.

I took a few pictures of the whole process. I’ll post as soon as I can.

+1 for drill method.

Last edited by Spierce4337; 04-07-20 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 07:48 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Spierce4337
(I was lucky here as the bolt was aluminum and not steel. I assume steel would take a bit more time with the drill otherwise).
Aluminum stem bolt? What kind of stem? Can you check the remaining piece of the bolt with a magnet?
Old 04-07-20, 07:48 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My favorite trick was always to hammer a Torx bit or Torx socket of the appropriate size into the offending allen head. Often this way the bolt can be reused - it's just Torx head now!
Old 04-07-20, 08:51 AM
Spierce4337

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Aluminum stem bolt? What kind of stem? Can you check the remaining piece of the bolt with a magnet?
Yep, just checked it. Definitely aluminium. Its a 3T Status stem.