Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Champ

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-20, 06:40 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Champ

https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/rac...d-title_504433

Outstanding. Can’t wait to see this guy in some big time road bicycle tours.
Old 02-03-20, 10:01 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I love that guy. I know a lot of people say it's boring to watch races with him because he wins all the time. And I get that. But in every interview I've seen with him he comes off as a good guy. I am enjoying seeing him dominate the races. I also started watching mountain bike races again last season. I don't know if he will ever win a grand tour but I think he's definitely going to win a bunch of one day races and the rainbow jersey in the coming years.
Old 02-03-20, 11:08 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I asked this before- as someone relatively new to following international CX, is there precedent for somebody being so dominant? Sure he has the skillz, but van der Poel just seems to have a MUCH larger engine than anybody else out there on the course. It's either wonderful, freakish, or suspect.
Old 02-03-20, 11:36 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I asked this before- as someone relatively new to following international CX, is there precedent for somebody being so dominant? Sure he has the skillz, but van der Poel just seems to have a MUCH larger engine than anybody else out there on the course. It's either wonderful, freakish, or suspect.
his career is just getting started

you won’t see him in CX much longer (he just loves that type of cycling)
Old 02-03-20, 11:46 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by chadtrent
I love that guy. I know a lot of people say it's boring to watch races with him because he wins all the time. And I get that. But in every interview I've seen with him he comes off as a good guy. I am enjoying seeing him dominate the races.
He is a good guy, he's a cannibal but he took it easy the last round not to add insult to injury. I watched the race on Belgian television yesterday and I really love the Belgians for appreciating performance more than nationality when it comes to cycling, but it's getting really hard for them. Cycle cross is more their sport than any other nation's, so many turn up in the cold an the rain, and Van der Poel is not just by far the strongest physically, hé's also better technically, tactically and mentally, there's no circuit that favours other's relatively more than him, so there's not much short term perspective on at least an exciting fight for the win. They could use succes from the women as a consolation very well, but that's not working for them either, on the contrary. And it's not just others that win, is the Dutch, that stings especially in the women's cycling. Besides the regular rivalry between neighbouring countries in sports, Belgium is much more of a cycling nation (as in sports cycling) and especially cycle cross is much bigger there. So it's getting harder and harder for them to smile in admiration, they still do a great job that but for how much longer?

The good news is that Van Aert has only just recovered and will get stronger in the future. It would be a shame if interest and enthousiasm for cycle cross faded in Belgium, because that's were it's got to come from.
Old 02-03-20, 12:01 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yes. Look up Erik De Vlaeminck and Sven Nys. Sven only won the worlds once but he won tons of races. Erik won the world championships I think 7 times.
Old 02-07-20, 11:57 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/con...si-of-cycling/
Old 02-08-20, 08:39 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm not generally too interested in racing until I come across something exceptional. I recently saw a video of the Woman's Time Trial World Championship. A young woman there, Chloe Dygert, who had been doing very well in the Juniors and now entering the ranks of world class racing, blew past all the other competitors for the win. She had been ranked 20th for this event. One of the commentators at the end says, "She'll never be ranked 20th ever again".