Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frustrations with Campagnolo

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-23-12, 12:50 AM
Veloh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

True, you make wonderfully designed and solidly performing parts but sometimes you frustrate me so much, Campagnolo.

Case in point:

As I was about to finish my very first Italian build, I notice that one of these guides are missing. They're not secured to the levers and just sit there until one day they just fall out and become lost forever. Either this project is cursed or I've had some bad karma since this bike is now on indefinite hold.

*Sigh* I guess I just needed to vent....
Old 11-23-12, 01:46 AM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are you just missing one? I'm pretty sure there's a single one of these living at my local co-op. They're only open weekends but I'm always looking for an excuse to stop by there . I could grab it for you pretty cheap I'm sure...

-Andy
Old 11-23-12, 02:20 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andycapp
Are you just missing one? I'm pretty sure there's a single one of these living at my local co-op. They're only open weekends but I'm always looking for an excuse to stop by there . I could grab it for you pretty cheap I'm sure...

-Andy
I need one of those as well do you think you could get a couple?
Old 11-23-12, 02:34 AM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry, pretty sure it was just a single one I saw out there. I'll ask though...
Old 11-23-12, 03:54 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts
I just bought a pair on ebay (abt. 6 weeks ago). There was another pair for sale at the same time but they were quite a bit more expensive that the pair I bought. I wonder if they turn up on ebay regularly?

I love Campagnolo but those little guides are very easy to loose - silly design.
Old 11-23-12, 04:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Yes, Campagnolo, you tend to shoot yourself in the foot sometimes.

Your Power Torque crankset looks nice and works. Installation requires two tools: external bb wrench and a 14mm hex key. However, removal requires 2 more: the proper Campy insert and a 3-prong gear puller with prongs slim enough to fit between the crank arm and the external BB.

And your 10-sp chain tool: works great for selling Connex-Wipperman chains, 3 of which are cheaper than your tool.
Old 11-23-12, 05:38 AM
Veloh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's another frustration:

*Shudder* Glad I haven't had this experience...yet.
Old 11-23-12, 06:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Then there's C-Record with the odd size Allen key for the Delta cable fixing bolt, the left hand threaded crank extractor and the dedicated dust cap removers for the hubs and don't ever get me started on Syncro...
Old 11-23-12, 08:53 AM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campagnolo !! To get the flow of good karma while working on such things, and in addition to the correct tools, it helps if you are listening to either Luciano Pavarotti, Mario Lanza, or at the very least some Frank Sinatra. A break taken for some good pasta, bread and wine will enhance things as well. Be sure to light a candle in your small St.Ghisallo shrine too. If the frustration level gets too high, put down the bike tools and go take a spin on your well tuned Colnago or other fine Italian Bicicletta !

It's akin to eating bangers&mash, listening to the Beattles and downing a pint or three, then spinning spanners on your Raleigh Lenton or Carlton....just a bit more refined ! God Save the Queen !

Joe
Old 11-23-12, 09:10 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Then there's C-Record with the odd size Allen key for the Delta cable fixing bolt, the left hand threaded crank extractor and the dedicated dust cap removers for the hubs and don't ever get me started on Syncro...
Note the above and the loose cable guide are all from the 1980's and most of that post Tullio.
While Tullio was not perfect, he did have a good sense of what worked.

I avoided the first generation aero levers as you had to cut that mouse hole for the cable (unless you drilled the bars) and the mechanical advantage went south. If the client really really wanted aero levers we sold him on Dia Compe's, almost all like the shape better too.
Old 11-23-12, 09:20 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
I've sold off most of my DA equipped bicycles at this point.

Why?

Nine and ten speed Chorus gruppos.

Various eight speed Campy combos as well.

Other than being gouged on chain tools, zero complaints.

Bulletproof for me.
Old 11-23-12, 10:19 AM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
...the left hand threaded crank extractor...
If my Victory self-extractors ever broke I'd have to pull the cranks with a pickle fork and dustbin 'em.

Sure are pretty and light for a $10 swap meet find, though.
Old 11-24-12, 05:52 PM
Andycapp

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good news - They just gave it to me since I'm the only one they know who even knew what it is! And, it even comes in a fancy little bag
Bad(?) news - Looks a little different than your pic. Is it the same part? Will it work? What's the deal here, experts?

-Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo629.jpg (60.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-24-12, 06:20 PM
thirdgenbird

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I've sold off most of my DA equipped bicycles at this point.Why? Nine and ten speed Chorus gruppos.Various eight speed Campy combos as well.Other than being gouged on chain tools, zero complaints.Bulletproof for me.
Have you used the 10spd chain tool? It's one of the finest tools to ever grace my hands. That coupled with the chain life on $30-35 centaur chains makes it pay off over time.

I may or may not have the LH extractor as well Found a NOS one at a price I couldn't pass up. I haven't used it yet, but my love for 80s campy cranks will eventually warrant it.
Old 11-24-12, 06:55 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloh
True, you make wonderfully designed and solidly performing parts but sometimes you frustrate me so much, Campagnolo.

Case in point:

As I was about to finish my very first Italian build, I notice that one of these guides are missing. They're not secured to the levers and just sit there until one day they just fall out and become lost forever. Either this project is cursed or I've had some bad karma since this bike is now on indefinite hold.

*Sigh* I guess I just needed to vent....
Ok, I give; what are they? I've used Campy for decades and never even seen those.
Old 11-24-12, 06:59 PM
Veloh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ok, I give; what are they? I've used Campy for decades and never even seen those.
Goes in the brake lever. They're just a guide. No idea why they don't have it made into the lever body itself.

Originally Posted by Andycapp
Good news - They just gave it to me since I'm the only one they know who even knew what it is! And, it even comes in a fancy little bag
Bad(?) news - Looks a little different than your pic. Is it the same part? Will it work? What's the deal here, experts?

-Andy
Bingo. PM'd.
Old 11-24-12, 07:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Goes in the brake lever. They're just a guide. No idea why they don't have it made into the lever body itself.

Bingo. PM'd.
I never understood that either because you can run the non aero with or without this thing installed. You could do aero without it but it is real muushy.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-24-12, 07:17 PM
Veloh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I never understood that either because you can run the non aero with or without this thing installed. You could do aero without it but it is real muushy.
Yea, without it, the cable rubs against a sharp part of the lever body. Would probably cut through if used long enough.
Old 11-24-12, 07:57 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by gomango
I've sold off most of my DA equipped bicycles at this point.

Why?

Nine and ten speed Chorus gruppos.

Various eight speed Campy combos as well.

Other than being gouged on chain tools, zero complaints.

Bulletproof for me.
No law says you have to use the Campy chain tool. You guys are just looking for reasons to gripe. I asked my LBS (the good one) if they use it. They said they have one, but most of the techs use a $40 Park. I bought one, and even I can install chains with it. It works the same as any other chain tool, they said.
Old 11-24-12, 08:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
No law says you have to use the Campy chain tool. You guys are just looking for reasons to gripe. I asked my LBS (the good one) if they use it. They said they have one, but most of the techs use a $40 Park. I bought one, and even I can install chains with it. It works the same as any other chain tool, they said.
I forgot who, but there is a company making snap together master links for the Campagnolo 10 and 11 speed drive trains, from a close up they look decently secure.
Old 11-24-12, 08:10 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by repechage
I forgot who, but there is a company making snap together master links for the Campagnolo 10 and 11 speed drive trains, from a close up they look decently secure.
I don't recall exactly, but I think I'm using it on my Mondonico. No separations.
Old 11-24-12, 08:22 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Bingo. PM'd.
I've got those in my levers - without them you can still use the same levers, but as non-aero. There are tiny little round plugs at the top that plug the top entry cable holes when you've got them set up as aero. So, a dual-purpose lever, can be used for top entry or aero cable routing. A transition part in the evolution of bicycles?
Old 11-24-12, 08:26 PM
roadrunner2012
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
KMC quick links are reuseabe, and I've never had a failure. I have at least 10 bikes in the family on the Campy 10 version.
Old 11-24-12, 09:18 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Non issue.

Note that I said zero complaints.

I rarely buy bicycle tools. If I need one, I stop by the shop.

Once I get my workshop rebuilt after the remodel here, it will have about 80% of the same tools the lbs has for their customers.

The Campy tool is expensive and one can't have everything.

Our shop uses the Campy tool btw.
Old 11-24-12, 09:22 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
SRAM 10-speed connector links work fine on Campy 10-speed chains. I don't know what works with eleven speed. And FWIW, KMC 10-speed connector links work fine on Shimano 10 speed chains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.