Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you do when a bike lane is ending?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-06-15, 09:17 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

This has been a real problem for me and it's a dangerous situation. It's hard sometimes to just stop all of a sudden. Plus you have vehicles right behind you. (In California, that would be on my left.) So I can't just squeeze to my left, when a car could just hit me. I can look to my left really quick, I suppose. But the problem is that while I'm looking, I may have to simultaneously focus on putting on the brakes. And bikes don't brake as strong as a car. So I see it as a dangerous situation. Meanwhile, while you're in the ending lane, there is usually cars coming to my right for that intersection. Now today, I was lucky that there were no cars at the time, so I just squeezed to my left and stopped at the stop sign, and then turned left.
Old 10-06-15, 10:10 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I close my eyes, pedal as fast as I can, and scream like a little girl.............

But seriously, just sell your bike and be done with it.
Old 10-06-15, 10:46 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Lanes, including bike lanes, often end. Do just like you do when you drive your tractor. A safe distance before the lane ends, assess the situation and look behind you for a nice gap to merge into. Signal your intentions and make the merge at a safe distance from the vehicles that will be behind you. This isn't really that hard. There really aren't many homicidal maniacs out there who will purposely run you down simply because you need to ride in a travel lane.

Oh, and it helps if you close your eyes, pedal as fast as you can and scream like a little girl.
Old 10-06-15, 11:06 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Geez you don't HAVE to have a bike lane to ride your bike.
Share the road . . . been doing it for 40+ years.
Old 10-06-15, 11:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Oh, and it helps if you close your eyes, pedal as fast as you can and scream like a little girl.
An alternative is to type as fast as you can and electronically whine and cry like a little girl.
Old 10-06-15, 11:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,527 Times in 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
+1,000,000

You have to get over this notion that there's a high likelihood of getting hit by a car when riding in mixed traffic. Yes, of course it's possible, but not very likely. Keep in mind that many of us have been riding on shared roads for decades, and continue to do so. In fact, there wouldn't be bike lanes at all if there weren't already large numbers riding shared roads beforehand.

Seriously, just get out and ride. If you're fearfull work your way up to busier roads by starting on quieter ones. Or if you can't get past the fear get some help form pros to develop tools or a coping mechanism until you get more comfortable.

Either that or ask the mods to change your site name from DreamRider to NightmareRider.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-06-15, 11:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
I take the same approach for bike lanes ending that I do for parked cars and their doors. As soon as I am aware of that (either the lane ending or a potential car door) I make a small alteration in course so I am aimed at the point I want to be when I get there. Say I want to be 3 feet outside that car. 50-100' before I get to the car, I make a little change so I am aimed at that point. This will be a small enough change that it won't throw any drivers for a loop and they will just adopt to the idea that I am getting further from the road edge. It gives them plenty of time to plan whether to pass you first or wait. (Good truck drivers really appreciate you doing that. Makes their decision making easy and keeps their record clean.

Same thing for bike lanes. I aim for 2' from the road edge. This means I am usually already outside the bike lane line when I am 25' from the lane end, but at no point do I create a surprise for drivers.

Ben
Old 10-06-15, 11:38 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
This has been a real problem for me and it's a dangerous situation. It's hard sometimes to just stop all of a sudden. Plus you have vehicles right behind you. (In California, that would be on my left.) So I can't just squeeze to my left, when a car could just hit me. I can look to my left really quick, I suppose. But the problem is that while I'm looking, I may have to simultaneously focus on putting on the brakes. And bikes don't brake as strong as a car. So I see it as a dangerous situation. Meanwhile, while you're in the ending lane, there is usually cars coming to my right for that intersection. Now today, I was lucky that there were no cars at the time, so I just squeezed to my left and stopped at the stop sign, and then turned left.
Is it something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...1512fa!6m1!1e1

Pan the up to the right going through the traffic light. It will show you how the right-most lane becomes a merge lane. The only thing that it doesn't show is the bike lanes that were put in the right-most lanes. On the side that becomes a merge lane. The bike lane suddenly disappears.

In the link I showed you. Two years ago, I had been in the right-most lane and had gone through the intersection where it becomes a merge lane. A motorist sped up behind me, not realizing how fast I was going. He straddled the line for the merge lane and the continuing lane. Except the stupid idiot didn't think it was a merge lane and spun when he tried to get back in the lane. Resulting in all the lanes shutting down. Because the driver ended up stopped in the inside lane facing the opposite direction.

Personally, I am not an avid user of bike lanes. Because, Invariably, Motorists' think it is a permission slip to speed past cyclists', as if they were somehow blocking the motorist.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-06-15 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 01:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends.

If I'm anticipating the bike lane or wide shoulder to end, I'll prepare to merge toward the next lane to my left. If it's near an upcoming intersection I'll take the center of that lane. If not, I'll stay to the right so cars can pass.

If I'm riding in an unfamiliar area and the bike lane ends unexpectedly while cars are immediately to my left, I'll turn right at the first opportunity and look for a safe route to get back on the desired route. Happens occasionally in cities. The diversion usually takes only a minute.

"And bikes don't brake as strong as a car."
Bike brakes should work far more quickly and effectively than a car in good conditions. On a dry road with good rubber, you should be able to lock up the front brakes enough to get the rear wheel off the ground. DON'T DO THAT, unless you're really comfortable with the maneuver. But that's how strong the brakes should be.

Since I resumed cycling again only a month ago after a long hiatus I've spent some time practicing emergency braking on paved roads, gravel and the rough unpaved fields that pass for "sidwalks" in my neighborhood. I want to get the feel of the bike's rear wheel lifting, and skidding sideways a bit, so I'll be familiar with the bike's handling in an emergency. And I gotta admit, with a compact frame bike and 700x38 all terrain tires, it's a helluva lot more fun than with my old road bike and skinny tires. Everything feels far more in control even on the edge. No rain or slick conditions here yet, but as the weather changes I'll get out in some parking lots, gravel and open fields to practice some more. I might wear out this set of brake pads and tires more quickly with this practice, but I'll feel more confident more quickly too in traffic and on various road conditions in an emergency.
Old 10-07-15, 02:20 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by zonatandem

Congrats on that. However, a lot of people on youtube videos say they hate cyclists taking up the road and say that they aren't meant for it.
Old 10-07-15, 02:22 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1,000,000

You have to get over this notion that there's a high likelihood of getting hit by a car when riding in mixed traffic. Yes, of course it's possible, but not very likely. Keep in mind that many of us have been riding on shared roads for decades, and continue to do so. In fact, there wouldn't be bike lanes at all if there weren't already large numbers riding shared roads beforehand.

Seriously, just get out and ride. If you're fearfull work your way up to busier roads by starting on quieter ones. Or if you can't get past the fear get some help form pros to develop tools or a coping mechanism until you get more comfortable.

Either that or ask the mods to change your site name from DreamRider to NightmareRider.

Yea Nightmare Rider lol. I wanted to call myself NightRider, but that would be a lie ha ha. Night riding would be dangerous, although I think it seems like fun.

But I don't see why people want to ride in high traffic, just to ride in high traffic. It's like they want to prove a point to the cars.
Old 10-07-15, 02:26 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Lanes, including bike lanes, often end. Do just like you do when you drive your tractor. A safe distance before the lane ends, assess the situation and look behind you for a nice gap to merge into. Signal your intentions and make the merge at a safe distance from the vehicles that will be behind you. This isn't really that hard. There really aren't many homicidal maniacs out there who will purposely run you down simply because you need to ride in a travel lane.

Well the thing is, when you turn your head left, your body tends to flow that way too, which can be dangerous. Just by turning my head, I'm losing more control. And if the car is only like 20 feet behind me, while I'm in the lane, how can I signal him? You see what I mean? It's a tough situation. I got to decide if I wanna break at the end of the bike lane, or look over my left shoulder and risk losing control, trying to see any cars. Often times, i can't get a good view unless I turn dramatically, which would affect my ability to control the bike and ride it on a straight line.
Old 10-07-15, 03:10 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yet another troll thread from the OP. It's really next to impossible for someone who can read and write to be as clueless/incompetent/repetitively ignorant as he wants us to believe he is. Plus multiple fear-related threads in different sub-forums indicate that he is not seeking information, he's just seeking attention.

Next will be a "Wouldn't we all be safer if a bicycle weighed as much as a car?" thread.
Old 10-07-15, 04:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Yet another troll thread from the OP. It's really next to impossible for someone who can read and write to be as clueless/incompetent/repetitively ignorant as he wants us to believe he is. Plus multiple fear-related threads in different sub-forums indicate that he is not seeking information, he's just seeking attention.

Next will be a "Wouldn't we all be safer if a bicycle weighed as much as a car?" thread.
+1
Old 10-07-15, 05:48 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the thing is, when you turn your head left, your body tends to flow that way too, which can be dangerous. Just by turning my head, I'm losing more control. And if the car is only like 20 feet behind me, while I'm in the lane, how can I signal him? You see what I mean? It's a tough situation. I got to decide if I wanna break at the end of the bike lane, or look over my left shoulder and risk losing control, trying to see any cars. Often times, i can't get a good view unless I turn dramatically, which would affect my ability to control the bike and ride it on a straight line.
* I'm new to cycling but seriously if you can't look around to survey your surroundings on a regular basis while riding, that is even more "dangerous." I do this all the time.

* Do you not know how to use hand signals?

Last edited by YogaKat; 10-07-15 at 06:36 AM. Reason: trying to be nicer
Old 10-07-15, 06:06 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
You need a mirror and more riding time... such that you can do an over the shoulder check without turning...

Then if you see that the conditions ahead are changing (ending BL or parked cars, or debris in the road ahead or whatever...) and you need to make a lateral move, check your mirror first... (BTW I glance at my mirror on and off all the time to keep informed of traffic) if clear, do a quick headcheck, then signal, and merge into any decent open gap in traffic. Always head check... always signal (unless there is no one else around... then jeeze what are you whining for...) before any lateral move.

If you cannot ride your bike in a straight line with one hand, or while turning your head, or moving your body, I suggest lots more practice until you can do this... this is simple bike control.

If you want help with your bike skills... Take an LAB class near you. Find & Take a Class | League of American Bicyclists
These are simple one or two day classes that will cover basic riding skills for riding in traffic. You really didn't learn everything you need to know, in Kindergarten.
Old 10-07-15, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
+1
+2. Don't understand why this is allowed to continue. Maybe it's because the OP if deft at making the posts sound just legit enough.
Old 10-07-15, 07:25 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
it's a dangerous situation.
Danger! Daily Deadly Danger! SOOOOOO Scary!

Trolling in the same repetitive, humorless and boring one-note of every other thread the OP starts.
Too Scared to : Ride the MUP, MTB Trail or Road, but not to run over five year old girls on the MUP.

Patient reasoning with real world experience feeds the Troll, who is not looking for information just an endless loop of self serving twaddle.

-Bandera
Old 10-07-15, 07:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
What to do when a bike lane is ending?

Of Course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ET_banner.jpg (28.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-07-15, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You need a mirror and more riding time... such that you can do an over the shoulder check without turning...
Over 23K posts and you take this seriously? Look at some of the other responses in this thread and do some "research."
Old 10-07-15, 07:57 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ET_banner.jpg (28.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png
danger.png (25.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-07-15, 08:06 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Bike lanes ending is not a dangerous situation, it is a common situation. If it's hard for you to stop all of a sudden: 1) practice emergency braking techniques, 2) anticipate stops much further ahead so it does not become a sudden stop, and/or 3) have your brakes checked out. Considering the speed and braking involved, a bike should perform better than most cars in braking situations. The intersection situation you describe is common and again not dangerous. Taking a left hand turn across multiple lanes will require forethought and space enough to take the lane and get over to the left turn lane when safe to do so.
Old 10-07-15, 08:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera

Trolling in the same repetitive, humorless and boring one-note of every other thread the OP starts.
Too Scared to : Ride the MUP, MTB Trail or Road, but not to run over five year old girls on the MUP.

Patient reasoning with real world experience feeds the Troll, who is not looking for information just an endless loop of self serving twaddle.

-Bandera
Reminds me of a BF stereotype; constantly posting dreamy "imaginative ideas" (even if it is the same old, same old drivel) and resistant to any response or comment that doesn't offer positive support for the great idea or dream/nightmare.
Old 10-07-15, 08:32 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+2. Don't understand why this is allowed to continue. Maybe it's because the OP if deft at making the posts sound just legit enough.
Nor do I. What I find even more astonishing, however, is the number of persons who continue to respond to this nonsense as if it warranted serious discussion.
Old 10-07-15, 08:43 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What to do when a bike lane is ending?

Of Course.
Crap, I've been camping by the side of the road waiting for the city mobility council to vote to extend the bike lane.
Stupid road guys put a white stripe right over my bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.