Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sram derailleur pulley problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 09:45 PM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have a sram 7-speed rear derailleur on a 2008 redline r510. Don't know the exact model because it is too faded to read but might be something Q or 9 or 0. Bikepedia says this came with shimano derailleurs but front and rear are definitely sram.

Derailleur shifts fine but top pulley wheel is sticking when you try to freewheel. Spraying with cleaner and lube doesn't help. Fluid doesn't seem to get where it is needed. Never found a derailleur that you couldn't unscrew the little bolts holding the pulleys in before. It's usually a small hex key or bolt you can ratchet and on older models a Philips or even a flat head screw. Back of pulleys have perfectly round rivets I guess you'd call it and front is a smooth cap. Having trouble resizing photos small enough to be able to upload here.

All the sram models I'm finding online show hex key bolts for the pulleys. HELP!!!
Old 07-05-16, 09:55 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some low end derailleurs have riveted jockeys and are unservicable. That means the only things you can do are keep trying to spray it with WD-40 and trying to work it free, or buy a replacement.
Old 07-05-16, 09:59 PM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
got one view to resize and upload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_1si850906.jpg (94.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-05-16, 10:02 PM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
got the back view to resize an upload. They are round and definitely do not fit a hex key even though some shading makes it look like they might
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_2si850907.jpg (82.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 07-05-16, 10:05 PM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2lo8
Some low end derailleurs have riveted jockeys and are unservicable. That means the only things you can do are keep trying to spray it with WD-40 and trying to work it free, or buy a replacement.

I just haven't run into this before. Was thinking that was it but after working on some 100 or so different random bikes, some very low end and/or old school hadn't seen one you just could not service before.
Old 07-05-16, 10:10 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like it or not, that's the answer. Did you actually remove the jockeys off of 100 bikes? SRAM X-3s and Shimano TZ-50s are not serviceable for example.
Old 07-05-16, 10:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
You might also oil that chain sometime in the next year or two...
Old 07-06-16, 12:01 AM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
You might also oil that chain sometime in the next year or two...

We fix up bikes for people in need getting back to work who don't have transportation. The chain was rusted and got a first oil today.
Old 07-06-16, 12:12 AM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Like it or not, that's the answer. Did you actually remove the jockeys off of 100 bikes? SRAM X-3s and Shimano TZ-50s are not serviceable for example.

Haven't taken the jockeys off 100 bikes but have worked on over 100 with derailleur issues and maybe pulled ones for real cleaning or issues/replacement from 1/3 or so. Can't tell you how many derailleurs we've swapped or pulled as parts from stripping bikes which all require removal of the bolts needed to service the jockeys as it's much quicker than breaking all the chains.

Saw every other type of removable connection on everything from treks and gary fishers to old Wallyworld specials and some old school things that turned into old school wicked cool after working on them. Figures the one that looked a little odd on first inspection is the one that I need to remove but can't!

It's all donation bikes, bikes found but not claimed from the police, bikes some nice guys at a recycling place pull out because they can be salvaged, etc.

With a lot of wd40 it's working a bit better. Just might get this one going before my order of derailleurs gets here. thanks for your input!
Old 07-06-16, 10:04 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
AKHiker, I applaud your services to those in need. It is nice to know there are people who give their time for a worthy cause.
Old 07-06-16, 10:10 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Good for you.

That must be both satisfying to help, and frustrating to deal with some low end stuff.
Old 07-06-16, 10:45 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Have you tried lubing with something that has a more accurate way of delivering the lube to the pulley bearing? Get a bottle of Triflow, they have a fine tube to get the lube where you need it.
Old 07-06-16, 10:55 AM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
AKHiker, I applaud your services to those in need. It is nice to know there are people who give their time for a worthy cause.

Thank you. It's actually a lot of fun and for the most part you meet great people and of course most all the neighborhood kids eventually come to us to get their bikes fixed.

Was gobsmacked to realize how much really serviceable stuff is thrown away. People toss bikes because one shifter lever broke or has some surface rust.

Love finding the old school bikes that come out old school wicked cool.
Old 07-06-16, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by AKHIker
got the back view to resize an upload. They are round and definitely do not fit a hex key even though some shading makes it look like they might
Riveted together , made by Manufacturing Robots.

Buy a whole new RD , that one was put in the Build specs to lower the price of the Bike .

The replacement you can and should select a Little higher Up the price level categories.

Your LBS will help You get something Better.
Old 07-06-16, 11:08 AM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Have you tried lubing with something that has a more accurate way of delivering the lube to the pulley bearing? Get a bottle of Triflow, they have a fine tube to get the lube where you need it.

Tried that. Used small screw driver to make a tiny crack of an opening to try to get better delivery too. Hopefully will get where I want it today with a little more work. If not I have 2 sets of 3 derailleurs coming from different vendors that will work.
Old 07-06-16, 11:11 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, they're all serviceable. It's just that some require drilling the rivet heads off and finding the right sex screws to replace them with. (Assuming the back plate hole is already too large to tap for a regular screw that would work with the new pulley's bearing.) Probably not worth it for a $20 part, but I guess if you tend to ruin pulleys fast enough that the difference in price between new pulleys and new complete RDs justifies the one-time small effort of drilling and minor expense of screws, it's not unreasonable. (Or, I guess, if you want to keep that model of RD but just want different pulleys. I personally would like better ones on my SRAM 3.0, but might ultimately prefer to swap the whole mess and ditch the grip shifters too.)
Old 07-06-16, 11:15 AM
AKHIker

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Riveted together , made by Manufacturing Robots.

Buy a whole new RD , that one was put in the Build specs to lower the price of the Bike .

The replacement you can and should select a Little higher Up the price level categories.

Your LBS will help You get something Better.

Our LBS is TERRIBLE, unfortunately. Their only concern is renting bikes to tourists in season. Repairs are always a major upsell. Their cheapest service price is $80 for a cleaning, brake adjustment and minor truing of wheels. Want to replace a cable or pads also and it's $140 plus parts.

One of the not good things about living in Juneau and not being connected by road to anywhere.
Old 07-06-16, 11:35 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Our LBS is TERRIBLE, unfortunately. Their only concern is renting bikes to tourists in season. Repairs are always a major upsell. Their cheapest service price is $80 for a cleaning, brake adjustment and minor truing of wheels. Want to replace a cable or pads also and it's $140 plus parts.
Sounds like a business opportunity.
Old 07-06-16, 11:48 AM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1
Originally Posted by kd5nrh
oh, they're all serviceable. It's just that some require drilling the rivet heads off and finding the right sex screws to replace them with. (assuming the back plate hole is already too large to tap for a regular screw that would work with the new pulley's bearing.) probably not worth it for a $20 part, but i guess if you tend to ruin pulleys fast enough that the difference in price between new pulleys and new complete rds justifies the one-time small effort of drilling and minor expense of screws, it's not unreasonable. (or, i guess, if you want to keep that model of rd but just want different pulleys. I personally would like better ones on my sram 3.0, but might ultimately prefer to swap the whole mess and ditch the grip shifters too.)
Old 07-06-16, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

One of the not good things about living in Juneau and not being connected by road to anywhere.
Fly Down to PDX , they have 100 bike shops, there.
Old 07-06-16, 12:13 PM
2lo8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Oh, they're all serviceable. It's just that some require drilling the rivet heads off
That mean's it's not serviceable. Fixable, yes, serviceable, no.