Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front derailleur skipping 1 to 3 and 3 to 1

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 09:31 PM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

trying to help a neighbor fix up a fairly new Schwinn 21 speed. Got rear derailleur cables/housing done and tuned to shift very nicely.

Front shifter clicks nicely 1 to 2 to 3 and back with no cable tension. With the cable secured and some slack in the cable it goes 1 to 3 with the shifter on 2 with only one click. Shifter won't click up to 3. Downshifting it goes from big ring to small ring directly, with shifter going from display of 2 to 1 in one click.

if I put the tension I normally do when doing cables/tuning on front derailleur, shifter won't even go one click to display the 2 and doesn't shift at all.

I've worked on a bunch of different bikes from WM level to specialized and trek but not hit this problem before. Had to replace cable and housing due to corrosion on this so don't know if it had this problem before but am guessing so. Doesn't look like the bike was used much and nothing looks bent or banged up.

What do I do besides stop helping people fix up cheap bikes? thanks!
Old 02-04-17, 09:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Flush the shifter internals with WD-40 or similar solvent.
Trigger shifters, right?
Old 02-04-17, 10:53 PM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Flush the shifter internals with WD-40 or similar solvent.
Trigger shifters, right?

Trigger shifters and did the wd40 even though it seemed to shift perfectly without any tension.

With super super fine tuning of derailleur placement it shifts in all 3 on the stand. Hopefully it does the same with weight load on the test ride.

Thanks again
Old 02-05-17, 01:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I went through that mess with Shimano Rapidfire front derailer thumb shifter on my 1992 mountain bike's triple. It would shift up from the little to middle to big ring, but nothing I tried got it to shift from the big to middle unless it couldn't reach the little, or it would skip over the middle ring going down from big to little.

Soaked it in mineral spirits. No go. WD-40. No go. Both times, removed the plastic cover and cleaned everything I could reach with cotton swabs and toothpicks, every sear surface. It seemed to work okay until it was under tension on the bike.

I finally got tired of fiddling with it. Put on an inexpensive Sunrace friction shifter for the front derailer. Works fine. Suits me as long as the right Rapidfire for the rear derailer works -- those are the only quick shifts I need for some dirt trail climbs.

Eventually I'll try to fix the Rapidfire thumbie but I'm not in a hurry. Maybe by the time I get back to it any dried or congealed grease will have softened.