Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Project idea, need inspiration

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Project idea, need inspiration

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 08:58 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Congrats = Looks like you are officially 'out of the doldrums'!
Very nice aesthetics in Rev1. And the Ergo should be narrow enough for comfort. But the throw on the shift lever is not short, nor is it so smooth if the mechanism needs overhaul. You know, 'that nice mechanical feel', that guys with large hands like. Never heard of Campy Feminine.

.....more spacers to get the fender closer to the tire. That's a situation I've never experienced.
Old 12-31-19, 10:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

page 2 pics
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I managed to find a few days after Christmas to build a first version of the black Snel.
Since it is supposed to be a test mule for mrs non-fixie to try out various drop bars and brake levers and see if she likes this frame, I didn't want to spend too much time on the aesthetics yet, but OTOH the overall riding experience needs to be nice enough for the project to be successful.

So here is version 1.0. The short stem en Sakae RANDNNER (sic) bars came with the bike, and I added the Ergo levers, hoping she might find them comfortable and easy to use. The Brooks B17s is her favorite saddle and I whacked a few big dents out of an old pair of aluminum fenders and mounted those to complete the picture.

The front fender needs a couple of extra spacers beneath the fork crown to get it a little closer to the wheel:

The cockpit, built for comfort:

If nothing else it should at least roll really nicely:

Old 01-01-20, 05:30 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Congrats = Looks like you are officially 'out of the doldrums'!
Very nice aesthetics in Rev1. And the Ergo should be narrow enough for comfort. But the throw on the shift lever is not short, nor is it so smooth if the mechanism needs overhaul. You know, 'that nice mechanical feel', that guys with large hands like. Never heard of Campy Feminine.

.....more spacers to get the fender closer to the tire. That's a situation I've never experienced.
I had those Ergo levers laying around for another project and just put them on these bars during the build to see what's what and mrs non-fixie walked by, put her hands on them and remarked that they felt nice and seemed to fit her hands better than the Weinmanns she'd previously tried. So on they stayed.

You're right about the long throw, and we'll have to see how that works for her. For now it is of little consequence as our area is as flat as a billiard table. She did a couple of shifts at my request during a short shakedown ride yesterday - which we used to get a bag of the traditional New Year's Eve's oliebollen - and those shifts went well enough.

The objective for now is to get her to feel comfortable on a drop bar bike, and for that we seem to be well on the way. She rode away on it without any hesitation or comments other than "where shall we go for the oliebollen?".

WRT the fenders, the frame looks to be designed for slightly wider tires and fenders than she has on there now. With a 35mm tire and a 50mm fender everything would fall into place nicely.

Old 01-01-20, 06:08 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

cycling on NYE =
Old 03-20-20, 03:11 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Hey, that little Snel turned out nicely! I see Snel Expedition and Safari from time to time on marktplaats, they look like very good quality bikes. Older ones however do not show up that often. Have you found anything on the maker?

Did you overhaul those Maxi car hubs, by the way? Recently, I scored a set of the same hubs, they are really beautiful! I haven't decided which bike they are gonna go on though. I think they deserve something very special like that Snel of yours.
Old 03-20-20, 04:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by alexnagui
Hey, that little Snel turned out nicely! I see Snel Expedition and Safari from time to time on marktplaats, they look like very good quality bikes. Older ones however do not show up that often. Have you found anything on the maker?

Did you overhaul those Maxi car hubs, by the way? Recently, I scored a set of the same hubs, they are really beautiful! I haven't decided which bike they are gonna go on though. I think they deserve something very special like that Snel of yours.
Thank you. No, these older Snel Expeditions don't show up very often. The later Safari model is much more common on MP, but with their uni-crown forks they are much less attractive, IMO. I plan to visit the shop in Utrecht, as they're still very much in business and see if they can tell me more. Those Maxi-car hubs are so incredibly smooth that I haven't dared to touch them yet.

As you may have seen in another thread we've got both Snels on the road, and took them out earlier this week for a couple of hours. Working from home does have its advantages.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-20-20, 04:53 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
I envy the bike friendly environment you all have there, including the weather. South Carolina lowcountry is not a similar looking or bike friendly cousin...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-21-20, 02:41 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thank you. No, these older Snel Expeditions don't show up very often. The later Safari model is much more common on MP, but with their uni-crown forks they are much less attractive, IMO. I plan to visit the shop in Utrecht, as they're still very much in business and see if they can tell me more. Those Maxi-car hubs are so incredibly smooth that I haven't dared to touch them yet.

As you may have seen in another thread we've got both Snels on the road, and took them out earlier this week for a couple of hours. Working from home does have its advantages.

Cool picture! Working from home means that you have to exercise more, so enjoy your rides!

So which Snel is de Snelste?
Old 03-21-20, 06:55 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by alexnagui
So which Snel is de Snelste?
Red bikes are faster. That is common knowledge.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-21-20, 12:02 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I envy the bike friendly environment you all have there, including the weather. South Carolina lowcountry is not a similar looking or bike friendly cousin...
The vast cycling infrastructure here is the result of not adopting the automobile as the main form of personal transportation until after WWII. By then the bicycle had built up such a dominant position on our roads that they were here to stay.

It's not all puppies and sunshine, though. Bicycle traffic jams are a reality and the cycling hordes can be quite intimidating to other road users, as they tend to interpret traffic rules and regulations as they see fit: