Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Montreal to Augusta Maine

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 06:57 AM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 38 Posts

When it is safer and less objectionable, I plan to add my next leg of my cross continent bicycle tour. The two parts I have completed are Kansas City to Chicago and then Chicago to Buffalo (Via Detroit, Toronto, Niagara Region). I tent pack and typically eat 2/3 of my meals at restaurants.

Hopefully this Summer, I would like to Bicycle thru the following Cities: Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Augusta, and Portland.

I feel fairly comfortable routing the Canadian portion of the trip, but I am looking for guidance on the Montreal to Augusta part.
Old 05-10-20, 03:51 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Check out the Great Trail East of Montreal. It makes a pretty straight run toward Maine before turning North.

https://thegreattrail.ca/explore-the-map/

I’m not sure about a route through Maine if you go this way, but be aware that it’s a pretty sparsely populated area where services may be few and far between.

If you plan to drop down from Montreal and cross through Vermont and New Hampshire, avoid route 2, which is the primary East/West highway, and has lots of truck traffic. You can fashion a route using the less travelled paved roads. Check Ride w/GPS and other apps for previously travelled routes.

As you suggest, you’ll have to wait for a better time. You probably know that for the moment, all but essential US/Canada cross border travel is not permitted.

Keep us posted on your travels - I’ll be interested to see the route you choose.
Old 05-10-20, 04:37 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Beware... Montreal is a very addictive City. You may not want to leave.