Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Craigslist mountain bike options

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 02:15 PM
madbrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding my hybrid bike for a little over a year now and decide this passed weekend i wanted to try some dirt trails. From what i read about most hybrids before i bought it was that they were acceptable on dirt trails... Well maybe i was on the wrong trail but i quickly realized my bike wasn't made for this. Had a lot of fun but now want a mountain bike for the off road riding. Ill admin im cheap, and will more than likly buy a used bike. This are the few i have been looking at but im still not that familiar with all the components and if they are good or bad.

1) https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/5824147490.html - Trek Mamba

2) https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/5786662951.html - Specialized HardRock Sport

3) https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/5782381722.html - GIANT XTC Should i be worried about all the scratches and scrapes on it ? I understand it happens but not sure if this means the bike has been neglected.

I am fine with doing tune ups or maintenance on a bike but its all the components i don't really know about as to which is good for trail riding and whats not. Let me know what you think of with of the 3 and if there is something i should stay away from.

Thanks !
Old 10-18-16, 04:46 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Get the one that has the correct frame size for you, you've put up links to 3 different bikes with 3 different frame sizes.

Giant 20"
Trek 17.5"
Specialized probably 15.5"

Last edited by cobba; 10-18-16 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 08:21 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Those bikes look similar but the prices and sizes really vary. Sometimes, pictures don't say much, so go look at them and take a ride too.
That will help you decide.
Old 10-19-16, 07:28 AM
Monstermash
Theflatbarguy!

Bikes: Custom Giant Anyroad Flatbar, Custom Raw Steel Raleigh XXIX SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
Get the one that has the correct frame size for you, you've put up links to 3 different bikes with 3 different frame sizes.

Giant 20"
Trek 17.5"
Specialized probably 15.5"
+1

First find out what size frame you need and then search for a bike in that size.

How tall are you? Are you specifically looking for a 29er or...? I ask because the geometry is going to be different on each. I ride a large with 26" wheels but I usually ride a medium in a 29er.
Old 10-24-16, 01:47 PM
madbrad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks every one for taking the time to look and reply. I more than likely need a large frame ( im 6ft ) so ill need to pay more attention to the listings. If i have any other questions ill ask.
Old 10-24-16, 05:52 PM
KeithNorCal

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although others will undoubtedly disagree, since you're a relative newbie I'd stay away from private party sales because you won't necessarily be able to inspect the bike adequately. Many good local bike shops (LBSs) also sell used bikes and they check them out thoroughly. My two cents.