Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on 'fat bikes'?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 08:11 PM
GeoGoGo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Everyone,

I am a noobie here and just started looking into bikes. I was interested to get some thoughts about 'fat bikes'?

Are they a gimmick or do they serve an actual function?

Thank you all in advance! Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.
Old 08-20-17, 08:13 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
My thoughts are that I want one.

That said, what are you looking to do with one? I want to ride in snow, where they are rather more practical than 23mm tires.
Old 08-20-17, 08:16 PM
GeoGoGo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk

That said, what are you looking to do with one? I want to ride in snow, where they are rather more practical than 23mm tires.
It wasn't something I was considering but more of a curiosity.
Old 08-20-17, 08:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I don't need a fat bike to ride in snow. I've been doing fine with 26 x 2.0 studded tires that mount up to a vintage mountain bike.

I have little doubt that there are some riding applications where a fatbike makes a heck of a lot of sense. Plus most people seem to ride them on paved trails and the like.
Old 08-20-17, 08:32 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Fat Bikes do great on soft surfaces where regular bikes bog down.
They also do surprisingly well on stony, rocky trails by tracking straighter, smoother than bikes with narrower, higher-pressure tires.

They roll poorer on firm surfaces, and tend to fight the steering if you don't get the pressure right.
Right now it seems like the 27+ bikes are becoming more popular. They're almost as good at the soft stuff while being more versatile and faster on more normal trail conditions.

If I'd ridden a good Fat Bike a little earlier, I'd never have bought My 29er.
Whatever I could do on the 29er, I could also do with my 26".
A Fat Bike though lets me ride stuff that simply isn't rideable on 2" tires.

Last edited by dabac; 08-20-17 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 08:40 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by GeoGoGo
It wasn't something I was considering but more of a curiosity.
In that case, like mose bikes, they fill a niche in which they excel, and from there they are repurposed to dozens of different adequate uses!
Old 08-20-17, 08:45 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I'm sort of with jefnvk, except the value / cost ratio hasn't quite been high enough for me to part w/money. Fun bikes, for sure. Demo'd a Salsa model a couple years ago on some Marquette singletrack. As well, I have dabbled for years w/winter biking here in Munising with some studded tires on my commuter bike and mountain bike. That's fun too, but it's one thing to ride a mile or two, maybe three from my back porch, and quite another to throw a bike onto the back of my car and drive an hour to where there is groomed fat bike riding. Someday it'd be fun to have a fat-tire bike, but I guess I don't have a sense of urgency right now about getting one.
Old 08-20-17, 08:45 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Great in snow... and with a set of Vee Rubber Snowshoe tires do good on sea ice too.
Old 08-21-17, 05:53 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoGoGo
Hi Everyone,

I am a noobie here and just started looking into bikes. I was interested to get some thoughts about 'fat bikes'?

Are they a gimmick or do they serve an actual function?

Thank you all in advance! Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.
Lot of info on MTBR. They are a gimmick and serve no purpose like commuting unless you commute in the snow. Just like mountainbikes. All they do is get you out in nature on snow, sand, MTB trails and other unpaved and paved trails and provide a lot of fun. So really no rational purpose at all

I very much want one and probably will buy one soon. Good complement to my hybrid (all paved and unpaved bike trails and all road duty) and hope it makes me a 4-season rider here in the salt belt.
Old 08-21-17, 07:29 AM
Gidgmom

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Trek Farley 5 for the beach, snow and mud. Have no interest in riding it on pavement.

Especially fun at the beach -- taking it down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina in October. We "bikejor" with our dogs on the beach there and it is an absolute blast -- the fatbikes are perfect for that.

Fatbikes can be rented there, too.

Old 08-21-17, 07:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
They serve a function if you ride in snow and sand regularly. Otherwise there are other types of bikes that will serve you better. Like others have noted, it's a niche-market bike much like folders and unicycles.
Old 08-21-17, 07:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Good seller in most of Alaska, now including Kodiak Island..& it's USCG base.

& the trolley tracks can/will grab skinnier wheels, causing a crash, not 4 "+ fat bike wheels..

& Haul your Clam Digging gear, to stalk the tasty bivalve.. on the beach.

Hunters get mid drive retrofit kits, often, on them, to go in motor vehicle excluded roads owned by timber companies.

Electric powered fat bikes are classified as bicycles, there.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-17 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-21-17, 08:06 AM
bikesailor

Bikes: Trek Domane SL Di2, Giant TCR 2004, Salsa Beargrease 2015, Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a carbon Salsa Beargrease for three years now and love it in the winter. Fun in the snow (but even fat bikes bog down in more than 5+ inches of fresh snow). I made a 29"+ wheelset for it and makes it a good trail bike (I least as good as I care to ride the single track rock & root gardens around here). Gets you out in the winter to ride and exercise when its way too cold or windy to enjoy a road bike.
Old 08-21-17, 08:47 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bikesailor
Gets you out in the winter to ride and exercise when its way too cold or windy to enjoy a road bike.
A super-important consideration, imho. We all need something to get us outside and active during winter. Doesn't matter what that something is. Doesn't even matter whether it's practical. Just that it's fun and we enjoy it and are motivated to get off the couch.
Old 08-21-17, 08:56 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I bought one, about 2 months ago and am having fun like a kid. It takes you where no other bike can. It is a specialized bike. I ride river beds and it is fun. If you do not have a specific type of course you want to ride (snow, sand, rock), then maybe it's not for you. It can ride single track well, but MTBs have the advantage there. And on the road they move like a cow, especially uphill. I can't wait for winter, but not for the snow, but for the beaches to be clear and ride it on the sand.
Old 08-21-17, 11:42 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
I live very close the Blue Trail in Michigan's Island Lake Recreation Area. During winter several years ago, only a handful of bikes would brave the snow, and usually after the snowmobiles came through to pack the snow down. Most people either used their normal 29/26 inch tires, and a few using studs.
Last year, it was nothing but fat tire bikes. I don't recall seeing a normal tire in the snow. Says something about these bikes.
Now, I want one, but the wife probably is tired of me bringing home a new bike every year.
Old 08-21-17, 11:53 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Want one really bad. Can't justify buying one when I can put a good set of winter tires on my 29er and go anyplace with no issues. The need just isn't great enough to drop serous cash for such a small use.

Still want one.
Old 08-21-17, 12:02 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Super fun bikes:
1. Better on snow, though not as effortless as some pretend.
2. Surprisingly fast offroad, you can just plow through most things.
3. Great for endurance gravel rides if you run the right tires.
4. Fun to just screw around on.

The tires make all the difference. For snow and trails, I use Surly Bud/Lou.
Old 08-21-17, 12:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Fat bikes, IMO, are good for unpacked snow (2"+) and MTB courses with roots, rocks, and other obstacles. The benefit is that the wider tire obviously rolls over stuff better, and they can be run with lower tire pressure allowing for more float.

For winter cycling, they can have a benefit if there are trails with unpacked snow or if you want to roll in a snowstorm. I've personally found that 26" tires with studs are fine for my purposes - they work in snow of 2" or less, packed snow, and ice. I've found no need for one, since we only get about 40" of snowfall a year; if I lived in a lake effect zone, I'd be more likely to consider it!
Old 08-21-17, 03:08 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have a quasi-fat 29x3 steel hardtail. Except for the super low gearing, which I find useful on steep, rocky old logging roads, I'd probably get rid of it in favor of the 700x38 aluminum gravel bike I just bought a few weeks ago. The latter if faster on both pavement and most off-road and almost as comfortable.

Keith
Old 08-21-17, 03:32 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk

I live in sunny Queensland and I see a few getting around the streets. I think it's image myself? Unless the young guys on them regularly ride grassy parks or some such. They must be good in the grass don't you think?
Old 08-21-17, 08:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I have never ridden one so I cannot be sure, but I imagine that the thoughts I would think while on a fast bike wouldn't be very different than the thought I think while riding on any other type of bike.
Old 08-21-17, 09:35 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do I think of fat bikes? As much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I wouldn't necessarily want a fat bike as my only bike but when it's below 40 here in Minnesota generally the road bike has been put in hibernation, so how else am I going to get 20 miles to the brewery and back on the trail?

What they do well
- Trails
- Snow - though they're not great when it is what we call mashed potatoes
- Get admiring looks and people asking if they can test ride
- Putting smiles on your face, growler getting

What they don't do well
- Speed
- Hills
- Pavement
- Ice (at least without studs)
- Centuries

Old 08-21-17, 09:38 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by coominya
I live in sunny Queensland and I see a few getting around the streets. I think it's image myself? Unless the young guys on them regularly ride grassy parks or some such. They must be good in the grass don't you think?
Only time I've ridden them was on a snowy demo day. Couldn't stand it on the road, but it was quite fun on icy single track (although if I were buying, I'd stick more to a 3"ish plus size)! I imagine Queensland has quite a bit of sandy beach that they would be nice on, though.
Old 08-22-17, 03:13 AM
Odontites

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see quite a few people commuting on them where I live.
It made me wonder - we have a lot of tram lines here and maybe the fat tires don't slot into the tracks? Does anyone have any experience with this specific issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.