Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

6'5" 450lbs looking for a bike to ride

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-25-20, 07:51 AM
BIGtoeknee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am 6'5" and hover currently around 450 lbs and was looking into cycling to get into better shape. I noticed most bikes have a 300 lbs rating on them and I tired looking for something with a higher weight limit but I haven't been very lucky. I called a local bike shop and they recommended the Specialized Roll Sport or the Specialized Rockhopper. Would this bike hold up? If not is there anything I can do to it or any other bike recommendations?
Old 06-26-20, 11:48 PM
Joat79

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGtoeknee
Hello everyone,
I’m in a similar boat as you and this forum has helped a lot! A lot of the guys suggested a touring bike like a Karate Monkey from Surly or even a Long Haul Trucker. I went to several bike shops and the consensus was to get me on a mtb. I’m 6’3 375 so not far off from you. The Rockhopper Elite is what I have decided on. Apparently it is easier to change out forks and tires on a mtb to match what type of riding you want to do. From what I gather from research, and replies here, is that the frames should be good for us, but the components ie. wheels and tires and spokes are what we need to focus on with our weight. I’m going to be upgrading the saddle as well. It should get me going for a while. You can check out www.prowheelbuilder.com and input your request for wheels and they will recommend something for you. There’s going to be pros and cons on whatever bike we get, but I felt pretty good on the specialized so I felt like the bike chose me. Others with more knowledge can definitely steer you better than I can but that is what I decided.

TL;DR Specialized Rockhopper Elite with upgraded real wheel and new seat.
Old 06-30-20, 02:56 PM
BIGtoeknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joat79
I’m in a similar boat as you and this forum has helped a lot! A lot of the guys suggested a touring bike like a Karate Monkey from Surly or even a Long Haul Trucker. I went to several bike shops and the consensus was to get me on a mtb. I’m 6’3 375 so not far off from you. The Rockhopper Elite is what I have decided on. Apparently it is easier to change out forks and tires on a mtb to match what type of riding you want to do. From what I gather from research, and replies here, is that the frames should be good for us, but the components ie. wheels and tires and spokes are what we need to focus on with our weight. I’m going to be upgrading the saddle as well. It should get me going for a while. You can check out www.prowheelbuilder.com and input your request for wheels and they will recommend something for you. There’s going to be pros and cons on whatever bike we get, but I felt pretty good on the specialized so I felt like the bike chose me. Others with more knowledge can definitely steer you better than I can but that is what I decided.

TL;DR Specialized Rockhopper Elite with upgraded real wheel and new seat.
Thank you for this. I've called bike shop after bike shop and I have gotten mixed suggestions from "Yea they are fine even tho they say 300lbs limit to you need a trike, to no way you can make it work." I was getting quite discouraged and I just want to do something that I used to enjoy to change my lifestyle as I can't get motivated to run around the block, and gyms are closed here for pandemic issues.
Old 07-01-20, 10:43 AM
sodjer6

Bikes: Trek 820

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm right there with you (6'5" and currently about 415lbs, after regaining a bunch and getting all the way back to 430...). I'm currently on a Trek 820 I picked up back in April (XXL frame) and it's been good so far, approaching the 500 mile mark with it. I went with it for the steel frame aspect - so if it has a catastrophic failure it'll likely just bend vs. shattering like aluminium. It came with nice Bontrager LT3 hard case tires and so far haven't had a single issue with anything (pinch flats were a big worry). Currently riding a mix of paved bike paths and non-paved limestone trails.

Though a couple years ago I did go from about 380ish lbs down to the 300 mark on my old Giant Rincon with some Bontrager H2 hard case tires - but with the previous stress placed on that aluminium frame I didn't want to push it.

I set a goal and once I reach it I'll get a much nicer bike, but if I frag the 820 on the way at least it's not a super large investment...
Old 07-01-20, 11:16 AM
BIGtoeknee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sodjer6
I'm right there with you (6'5" and currently about 415lbs, after regaining a bunch and getting all the way back to 430...). I'm currently on a Trek 820 I picked up back in April (XXL frame) and it's been good so far, approaching the 500 mile mark with it. I went with it for the steel frame aspect - so if it has a catastrophic failure it'll likely just bend vs. shattering like aluminium. It came with nice Bontrager LT3 hard case tires and so far haven't had a single issue with anything (pinch flats were a big worry). Currently riding a mix of paved bike paths and non-paved limestone trails.

Though a couple years ago I did go from about 380ish lbs down to the 300 mark on my old Giant Rincon with some Bontrager H2 hard case tires - but with the previous stress placed on that aluminium frame I didn't want to push it.

I set a goal and once I reach it I'll get a much nicer bike, but if I frag the 820 on the way at least it's not a super large investment...
Got it. So steel is probably the way to go. I was going to jump on getting a Fuji Nevada 29 1.9 cause I can get it in July but that is aluminum. I don't really care if this thing doesn't last me 2 years. I just want something to start on. I will see if I can order a Trek 820 from a local shop and go that route.
Old 07-04-20, 11:45 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If you are going for steel, you need to find robust steel like a surly or the mentioned Trek 820. Lightweight steel will flex excessively and be *more* likely to break than a sturdy aluminum frame.
Old 07-04-20, 02:53 PM
KFrost

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Im between 380-400 (havent weighed myself lately) and got a specialized Roll Elite. Love it. Its super comfy but can really get going and Doesnt have that 50s cruiser style that makes me feel goofy. Lol
Old 07-20-20, 05:59 PM
taylorgeo

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sodjer6
I'm 350 lbs., and was thinking about buying the Trek 820. I definitely like the fact that it has a steel frame and 36 spokes, but I didn't like the fact that it only had single-wall rims. Now I'm thinking this bike may hold me. Thanks!
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 07-21-20, 05:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
A Worksman Trike would be ideal. https://www.worksmancycles.com/ I think they retain their value so if something else becomes appropriate in the future, easy to move it along.
Old 07-21-20, 06:26 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A Worksman Trike would be ideal. https://www.worksmancycles.com/ I think they retain their value so if something else becomes appropriate in the future, easy to move it along.
Yeah, I can't bring myself to buy one of those... they're butt-ugly. Rather take up hiking.

Craftsmanship looks incredible, though.
Old 07-21-20, 06:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Well, hiking is a good option for you and even more so for OP since he's carrying the equivalent of yet another adult. Load three people on an apparatus designed for one, other options may seem more attractive!
Old 07-21-20, 07:41 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, hiking is a good option for you and even more so for OP since he's carrying the equivalent of yet another adult. Load three people on an apparatus designed for one, other options may seem more attractive!
You're absolutely right! Hiking it is!

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks, shelb!
Likes For taylorgeo: