Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

6'1" 450lbs info needed for women's bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 07:33 PM
dgalvin66

Bikes: Giant Sedona DX 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I am looking to get something put together for my wife to ride. I had discussed it some in another thread but decided to start one just for this.
My wife has a bad hip so getting her leg over a men's but would be to much trouble so she needs to have a step thru bike.
I did pick up a bike for her recently that I am just not sure if it will be a good fit for her or not.
It is a Nishiki Backroads 26" bike. Here are some measurements from the bike:
The frame appears to be a Large with almost a 19.5 inch seat tube height, wheelbase is 43 inches, top tube at 21 1/2 inches from seat post to the handlebar stem. Tires are 50-559 26x1.90 ( I think a little wider would be better).
It has a straight handlebar with a 7/8" quill threaded stem (it has the hole thru it for the front brake cable) that pushed forward about 3". She would like Beach Cruiser style handlebars. and I think it will need to make changes to the stem to raise it and push the handlebars forward because there just is not much reach while seated.
I have NOS shifters and cables (SunTour 5000 not installed yet) and if I make any changes to the handlebars will need to replace the brake cables and find a front cable hanger for the cantilever brakes.

I am looking for any and ideas on what to do as far as fixing this up for her or looking for something else.
Thanks in advance

Likes For dgalvin66:
Old 07-22-20, 03:41 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Before you start upgrading, you need to make sure that your wife is able to get on that bike. The bike is not a step through frame per se and may present a problem for her depending on her flexibility. Something like the Biria Easy Board https://biria.com/series/easy-boarding might be more appropriate. I believe Sun makes a similar bike. Just my two cents.

Penny
Likes For pinsonp2:
Old 07-22-20, 04:45 AM
dgalvin66

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pinsonp2
Before you start upgrading, you need to make sure that your wife is able to get on that bike. The bike is not a step through frame per se and may present a problem for her depending on her flexibility. Something like the Biria Easy Board https://biria.com/series/easy-boarding might be more appropriate. I believe Sun makes a similar bike. Just my two cents.

Penny
I looked at that bike and they have 1 model that may be tall enough but I need to find out more info as weight limit and such. They don't have alot of info online.
Old 07-27-20, 01:55 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by pinsonp2

Penny
If I may second this thought. My wife has poor flexibility, and only rides a "womens" bike indoors. But that also proves difficult to get on and off for her some days. 3 years ago she fell getting off it, yes, a stationary bike, and broke her left ankle in the process. So if her flexibility is compromised, that could be a problem.
Old 07-27-20, 04:46 PM
dgalvin66

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
If I may second this thought. My wife has poor flexibility, and only rides a "womens" bike indoors. But that also proves difficult to get on and off for her some days. 3 years ago she fell getting off it, yes, a stationary bike, and broke her left ankle in the process. So if her flexibility is compromised, that could be a problem.
I agree 100%. It scares me thinking about it but she feels left out when I take our grand daughter riding and really wants to try. So all I can do is support her and get her setup the best ways that I can.
I have ordered all the parts to get this bike together to make it as easy and safe as possible and go from there.
Likes For dgalvin66: