Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Getting hold of a 350-1000W bike in the EU, how?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Getting hold of a 350-1000W bike in the EU, how?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 10:34 AM
mizunas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Getting hold of a 350-1000W bike in the EU, how?

Hi! I live in northern Sweden in a rural and mountainous area and while I've had a lot of fun with my MTBs on the trails, I'm really curious of an electric one. I tried various bikes from friends and the local shops (Ghost, Scott, Specialized) but they're all 250w continuous power and felt like "dead fish" when I took it on one of the mountainous trails here. Can't imagining spending 3000-5000 Eur and getting something like that then. Maybe for other trails but not the ones I got here.

I'm reading a lot of the ebike reviews over at electrec.co and I wonder how I can buy one of them in Europe? Bikes from Eunorau and Frey among others seem really interesting as they seem to offer good value. But if I try to buy one on let's say Eunorau, it will be free shipping to the US while they add a lot of shipping to Europe. I also suspect that I'll be hit with a very hefty customs charge (and possible even an added VAT cost) once the bike arrives. How do you guys do it? Any maker or vendor selling these bikes from EU based warehouses?
Old 08-03-20, 01:56 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I recall correctly, the EU limits ebike motor wattage to 250 watts. If I am wrong, please correct me. https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulat...215.1596484569
Old 08-03-20, 03:56 PM
mizunas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=MillCreek;21621971]If I recall correctly, the EU limits ebike motor wattage to 250 watts. If I am wrong, please correct me.

For unregistered vehicles, then yes. But you can register it as a 45kmh ebike/moped (different class) and then you don't have that 250w limit. Or, you ride the ebike on private land of which there's plenty of where I live, as I suggested in my original post, and then registration might be unnecessary altogether.

In any case, I just read the "Top 5 awesome full-suspension electric bikes we’ve tested for summer 2020" article over at Electrec and any of those five bikes would be awesome to try out! But how...?
Likes For mizunas:
Old 08-04-20, 02:15 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
If you have an extra MTB than order a Bafang kit and convert. Not hard to do at all. The BBSHD ones exceed 1500 watts.

Every thing you could want to know

https://www.******.com/r/ebikes/wiki/bbs_faq
Old 08-04-20, 06:59 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
We, in the US couldn't try them either since AFAIK, all are direct to consumer. Except for expos, which are kaput for now, the only bikes to test are OEM at dealers.
Old 08-05-20, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool

Out here Bafang makes motors in a variety of wattage models, various companies use them and built the ways to put them
in place of common crank sets..

Bafang apparently has their own , shipped from one of those Chinas..