Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 07-30-07, 12:59 PM
fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Which bike do you like to ride the most? You have great bikes...
Thanks, they're my 'incentives' to get rolling again, and not just veg out in front of the computer all day

Currently, I've been riding the LHT the most (only just over 700 miles on it since January), with the occasional trip to the local trails to get my butt kicked.

The casseroll I built up to have something a little lighter (and 'racier') to do faster group weekend rides with.
Old 07-30-07, 02:43 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
fc, your Salsa looks as if it is ready for business, what with that nice saddle and all...and DT shifters, too.

East Hill
Old 07-30-07, 02:51 PM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
You have great bikes...
+1. I love Surly & Salsa frames.
Old 07-30-07, 03:34 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fc_
Thanks, they're my 'incentives' to get rolling again, and not just veg out in front of the computer all day

Currently, I've been riding the LHT the most (only just over 700 miles on it since January), with the occasional trip to the local trails to get my butt kicked.

The casseroll I built up to have something a little lighter (and 'racier') to do faster group weekend rides with.

That's pretty much the solution I came up with, too. I have my Atlantis, which is a lot like your LHT with the cushy 80 lb tires on it, and then I have my Klein, which is what I'll use if I ever get up the courage to ride in a group. Oh... then I have my Bridgestone, which is what I ride in the evening when I want to leave it parked somewhere or when it's raining.
Old 07-30-07, 11:50 PM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
NOT THIS!:

I guess the powers that be, blocked the thread. I couldn't get in to read it

Solveg

Thats a very nice picture, nothing "GOOFY" about it.

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 07-31-07 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 02:10 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
I guess the powers that be, blocked the thread. I couldn't get in to read it
If I remember correctly, the person responding to the OP essentially told the OP to die painfully and horribly. I am not surprised that it got yanked.

There are some mean people out there...really mean .

East Hill
Old 07-31-07, 12:23 PM
dkirschwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4+" 240 lbs
got into cycling for cardiac rehab 60 yrs young
riding schwinn world sport and tempo
may go to newer ride but really don't know why
ride 70-80 miles per week at 12 avg
what would I gain by going to newer ride?
Old 07-31-07, 11:59 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speed

A newer ride won't gain you anything but a newer ride. If the old bike is still working fine and it is comfortable and reliable, just keep it maintained and serviced. If you are trying to gain average speed you will be able to ride somewhat faster on a lighter upright and considerably faster on a performance based recumbent. If you are just out to get some exercise then any old bike will do. I ride a single speed for my daily 9 mile route and rides up to about 30 miles if they are not too hilly. I use a geared bike for longer rides and hills. My average speeds are anywhere between 10 and 20 mph depending on the route,bike or distance. I replace my parts and or bikes when they get worn out too much or I get a hankering for something different or want a bike for a different purpose. The more you ride, the more refined your tastes become and you get a better idea of what works best for your personal needs.
Old 08-02-07, 08:34 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clydesdale here. 6'0'' at 284 right now. Just got back into riding after a long hiatus. I am in shape at around 210. Would like to see that sometime. Used to be an in shape 248 pounds. Car accident resulted in an injured back and ruined all my weightlifting. I am averaging around 10 miles 3 or 4 days a week. Ride a Gary Fisher Tiburon. LBS recommended it for bigger guys. Hope it holds up. Thanks.

JJ
Old 08-03-07, 08:56 AM
peterjames

Bikes: milwaukee bike co. 'orange one'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'1 and about 235. My recent low was 225, but my goal is 210. I've seen some references in this thread to beer being the big guy's bane, and I suppose that's true for me. The most success I've had was eating a vegan diet...otherwise known as 'strict vegetarian'. I lost weight in a hurry that way. That lasted for about 6 months. I dropped 15, 20 pounds and my cholesterol and BP fell through the floor.
Anyway, I sold my 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper when I moved to a city 100+ miles from any good trails, and bought a Milwaukee Bike Co. SS. It's a great all around ride, i know that some people cyclocross them, and i may explore that for myself one day.

The funny thing is...I never broke anything. My seatpost slipped on my Stumpy once on some of the most rugged singletrack I've ever ridden...but nothing broke.

pics of the bike:
https://milwaukeebikecoorangeone.blogspot.com/

Last edited by peterjames; 08-03-07 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-03-07, 10:15 AM
wingkeel
Ridin' The Line

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 (2008)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Clydesdale fur sur

I'm a 57 year young male who is 6' even and was 219 three weeks ago. After buying a new bike and riding every day for three weeks, I'm down to 212 and counting. I just finished my first half century last weekend and hope to complete my first 80 tomorrow in preparation for my first century in two weeks. I didn't enjoy riding this much when I was thirty! Unfortunatley, I'l lost all my riding partners. fifty miles is too much for most of those forty-somethings. I desperately trying to find other Clydesdales in the Boulder/Denver area.
Old 08-03-07, 01:37 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wingkeel
I'm a 57 year young male who is 6' even and was 219 three weeks ago. After buying a new bike and riding every day for three weeks, I'm down to 212 and counting. I just finished my first half century last weekend and hope to complete my first 80 tomorrow in preparation for my first century in two weeks. I didn't enjoy riding this much when I was thirty! Unfortunatley, I'l lost all my riding partners. fifty miles is too much for most of those forty-somethings. I desperately trying to find other Clydesdales in the Boulder/Denver area.
Well, you're in the wrong Lafayette! I live in Lafayette, as well, but in Indiana! If I lived in Colorado, we'd hook up though, but a 50 miler IS a bit short for my taste.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-03-07, 01:47 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by peterjames

The colour.... .

About A l'Orange--could you have gout?

East Hill
Old 08-03-07, 02:13 PM
Eric91Z

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sequioa Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, newbie here that doesn't even have a new bike yet. Actually, that should be corrected in the next 48 hours. I have been doing reading here and checking LBS for what I want. I am 6'0" and now about 260lbs. My best ever in shape after high school was 6'0", 230 lbs and about 10% bodyfat. Strong, but carried my weight well.

I have gone from a size 34 waist, to a 36, and now on some shorts a 38. It all started about 7 years ago when I met my now ex-wife, then got married, and then had a kid. Stopped working out, started eating more, and got lazy.

Well, now that I am divorced I have a couple of reasons to want to lose weight:

1) For my own health
2) To make sure I stay healthy to watch my daughter grow up
3) Took look more appealing to females - I am pretty sure the belly and second chin aren't real turn ons

Planning on using the biking as my cardio workout to compliment weight work at the gym. I have access to a very nice gym, but don't like doing cardio there, don't feel like I get anything from walking, and my body (knees, calves, etc) doesn't like running at all.

I have a buddy who competes in Triathalons and one of the LBS is a sponsor of his. He is taking me in there tonight after work to see what we can find for a bike and what kind of deal I can get. I have some neck issues and wrist issues from sports and motorcycle accidents years ago. So I have been looking at bikes originally with a mountain bike straight bar instead of dropped bars. Well, talked to one guy and he said I will have 3 instead of 2 hand positions with a drop bar so even more variety. And I think he may have sold me on the Specialized Sequoia Elite for a few reasons:

1) Zertz inserts in the fork, seat stays, handlebars, and seat post
2) "ergonomic top shaping" on the handlebars
3) gel padding in the grips

And they have said it should be more than strong enough to hook up a child trailer/carrier for rides when I have my daughter, but comfortable, stable, and light enough to still enjoy on rides by myself.

So, just wanted to introduce myself and I will get pictures up ASAP of what ever bike I end up with in the next couple of days.
Old 08-03-07, 08:34 PM
SEARHC GUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6-foot-1, 330 pounds (down from 375 in November 2005). I live in Sitka, Alaska, and I commute to work every day, even in winter, using a used Giant Yukon mountain bike that someone gave me as a birthday gift (most of my weight loss came when I was walking to work, not riding, though). I'm a 45-year-old asthmatic with Type 2 diabetes, but I'm keeping the diabetes under some semblance of control with the riding (I still like to eat way too much).

Over the years I've had a Cannondale road bike (stolen when I was doing work errands while living in Anchorage, Alaska) and a second-hand Shogun mountain bike/tank that I've ridden over several parts of the Iditarod Trail in February. In Sitka we have more issues with rain and ice than we do with snow most winters, but last winter we set a record for snowfall. Most days still were rideable, just let a little air out of the tires (spreads the weight for better traction) or use studded bike tires. I also cross a rather large bridge connecting two islands each day, and some bad weather days there's a bit of sea spray and exposure to the wind to worry about. But in Alaska we have a saying, there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear.

Even with my weight (and I usually carry a 30- to 40-pound backpack with photography gear), I haven't had too many problems with bike parts. I did break a pedal a couple of weeks ago, but they were cheapies and not meant for someone my size (they've been upgraded). My biggest problems have been finding cycling clothes my size (I usually wear my work clothes or sweats), finding cycling shoes that will accommodate my 10 1/2 EEEE foot (I understand a couple of brands do make wider cycling shoes, just haven't tried them yet) and finding a helmet that will fit my size 7 3/4 head (the Giro Atlas fits, and the Giro Kinghead is even larger).
Old 08-03-07, 08:36 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Welcome aboard! Good to see another North Star cyclist here!

Old 08-03-07, 11:54 PM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingkeel
I desperately trying to find other Clydesdales in the Boulder/Denver area.

I am a clyde, and I live in Aurora. You can send me an e-mail if you want to get together for a ride
Old 08-05-07, 09:19 PM
redls1camaro

Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow can't believe I just now noticed this section, usually stick to the regional forum. Right now im at 250 down from the heaviest in my life a few months ago at 275. Used to mt. bike alot but after a really bad knee injury playing rugby I got a road bike. Been 5 months and I have not looked back. My main goals are to get down to 200 and do a few sprint marathons next year. Still have lots of work to do. Any ways here is my ride.

Old 08-06-07, 09:44 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by redls1camaro
wow can't believe I just now noticed this section, usually stick to the regional forum. Right now im at 250 down from the heaviest in my life a few months ago at 275. Used to mt. bike alot but after a really bad knee injury playing rugby I got a road bike. Been 5 months and I have not looked back. My main goals are to get down to 200 and do a few sprint marathons next year. Still have lots of work to do. Any ways here is my ride.

Welcome to Clyde's! Yep, we're a pretty good bunch here, and I'd also invite ya to post your before and after/in process pics in the thread.

Sweet Masi, by the way!

Old 08-06-07, 11:31 AM
telrad

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay--here goes another new Clydesdale--

I have been a big guy my entire life, I now weigh 318, down from 345 by mainly watching what I eat, but Cycling looked good to me (enjoyed it as a young man), so I bought a Trek Navigator and have been riding it irregularly at this point. I really need to get myself out every day, but the heat here has been right at 100 every day.
I plan to get back into shape by riding and watching my food intake. I just finished my annual physical and got a fairly decent report--cholesterol 146, bp 149/82, bloodwork all within good range, so I know I don't have any major problems at this point, but I know this won't last unless I lose some weight and get more active.
This is a fantastic thread, and I hope to have some of your success rub off on me.

PS--Where does a newbie post all his stupid bicycle questions? I never had anything but single speed bikes as a kid, and I am totally unfamiliar with modern bicycles and how to work on them.
Thanks for your support.
Old 08-06-07, 11:35 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

The Mechanics forum, or here, since you are a Clyde, there are some Clyde specific issues you may need to look at

Welcome aboard and get out at least 6 days a week, even for just a short ride! Do errands by bike whenever you can too!

Old 08-06-07, 12:23 PM
redls1camaro

Bikes: trek 6000, 06 Masi alare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Welcome to Clyde's! Yep, we're a pretty good bunch here, and I'd also invite ya to post your before and after/in process pics in the thread.

Sweet Masi, by the way!

Thanks, Ill see if I can drag up some pictures.
Old 08-06-07, 02:51 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telrad
PS--Where does a newbie post all his stupid bicycle questions? I never had anything but single speed bikes as a kid, and I am totally unfamiliar with modern bicycles and how to work on them.
Thanks for your support.

You might also check out www.sheldonbrown.com it is a gold mine of cycling info.

Paul
Old 08-06-07, 03:47 PM
telrad

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link and the encouragement!
Old 08-06-07, 05:34 PM
FatChanceEddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'4" and currently at ±240#, down from nearly 275# at the beginning of the year (go me!) and I'm riding one of my Yo-Eddy Fat Chances (red lava, light blue, and root beer) nearly every day. I couldn't tell you the last time I drove my car...and even though I have been managing to get a LOT of miles in every week, I seem to have plateaued in the weight loss department.

The first 20-25# disappeared pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if I can manage to drop another 15-20#. Might be difficult to drop much more weight seeing as how my legs have gotten noticeably larger since the beginning of the year.

How can I get leaner? I've been on this "plateau" for at least a month or two and I'd love to get under 230# again.

On another note, I was moderately annoyed that at a local race, the classification for Clydesdales started at a rather "svelte" 200#. WTF? I haven't been under #200 since I was a sophomore in high school.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.