Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How do i convert my old 70s varsity shwinn into a fixie???

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 06:38 PM
martincano15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 70s varsity shwinn i bought from craigslist.
i was wondering how do i convert it into a fixie. And what ill need
im new to building bikes so detailed responses is much appreciated
Old 03-10-12, 06:41 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Sell or trade it and get a more suitable frame. The Varisty is great for riding to Vietnam War protests, bra burnings and the disco but it SUCKS for conversion to a fixed gear.
Old 03-10-12, 06:41 PM
Benson

Bikes: Brooklyn Machine Works Gangsta Track, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Cannondale CAAD9, Klein Fervor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A fixed gear wheel.
Old 03-10-12, 06:45 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
If you insist, follow these simple directions. Prepare to spend $100-$300 on your 38 pound fixed gear with a one piece crank and Chicago Schwinn specific parts.

Old 03-10-12, 07:42 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martincano15
I have a 70s varsity shwinn i bought from craigslist.
i was wondering how do i convert it into a fixie. And what ill need
im new to building bikes so detailed responses is much appreciated
Ignore the snobs/haters. Varsities make a fine first fixed gear bicycle. They're very heavy, but also very durable and have plenty of clearance for wider tires and fenders if you're so inclined. These bikes are also very easy to work on with common household tools. The bottom brackets can be completley disassembled with a crescent wrench, for instance.

The first thing you need to do is remove parts.

1.) Remove the front and rear derailleurs and cables/housing. Also remove the stem mounted shifters.

2.) Remove the outer chainring and guard from the crankset leaving only the little chainring in place. Luckily, the little inside chainring provides a good chainline to go with most fixed/ss hubs, so no need to mess with converting to a newer crankset or anything.

The next step is finding a single speed/fixed gear compatible rear wheel. The stock wheels on the Varsity are 27", but you can use modern 700c wheels if you like. The rear dropouts are already spaced at 120mm for you.

You can order a rear 27" inch ss/fg wheel from Harris Cyclrey for $80: https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels1.html#630

Or you can order a complete matching wheelset for $130 from Velomine: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=401

After you get a wheel(s), all that is left is to get a 14t fixed cog and lockring (good choice for the stock 39t chainring), an 1/8th inch single speed chain, and probably new tires and tubes.

At minimum, the total cost depends on much you want to spend on a wheelset. If done right, they can be very cool rides. They're very heavy, but tough as hell and ride nice with the right setup. People like to use the cost of tools as an excuse to stay away from conversions, but no matter what bike you get you're going to need some basic tools anyway. Unless you fancy paying the LBS for every minor repair/maintenance/adjustment that will ever need to be made. In this case, you'll only need common household tools, and a few bike specific tools that you would need for any bike (chain tool and lockring tool).

Chicago made heavy metal, baby!

Last edited by Ultraspontane; 03-10-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 07:56 PM
martincano15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i would need a wheel , chain, 14t cog and lockring.
Im new to building bikes so does the cog go on the crankset or is that the same thing .??
By the way ur answer is most helpful and nice . Thanks
Old 03-10-12, 08:01 PM
Benson

Bikes: Brooklyn Machine Works Gangsta Track, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Cannondale CAAD9, Klein Fervor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cogs go on the wheel. 14t is pretty high but maybe not with a 39t. I suggest you get a 15 or even 16t till you get a hang of the fixed gear
Old 03-10-12, 08:01 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be a bad person if I didn't tell you to go pay homage to Sheldon Brown before undertaking this task. I sincerely believe you should do it if you want to, but I also sincerely think you need to go get a bit of information from the linked site. The cog replaces the cassette and eliminates the freewheel option on the rear of the bike. While track-specific bikes are very simple, the danger of riding one if you don't understand how to install your own cog and lock ring is very real. Good luck.
Old 03-10-12, 08:17 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i would need a wheel , chain, 14t cog and lockring.
Yes. To turn your Varsity from its current form into a fixed gear bicycle you will need a single speed/fixed gear compatible rear wheel, a fixed cog and lockring (14t puts you at 75 gear inches. Maybe a 15t or 16t would be better for starting out.), and an 1/8th inch chain (the stock chain will not work with most fixed cogs)

Im new to building bikes so does the cog go on the crankset or is that the same thing .??
By the way ur answer is most helpful and nice . Thanks
The crankset is what you pedal. It consists of the crank arms, chain rings, and bottom bracket. The cog is the little sprocket that goes on the hub of your new rear wheel. The lockring is what hold the cog in place.

Sheldon Brown is a great resource for information. But don't feel too overhwlemed. Once you have the bike stripped down you will find that it is a lot less complicated than you thought it was.

Last edited by Ultraspontane; 03-11-12 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 08:23 PM
martincano15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultraspontane
Yes. To turn your Varsity from its current form into a fixed gear bicycle you will need a single speed/fixed gear compatible rear wheel, a fixed cog and lockring (14t puts you at 75 gear inches. Maybe a 15t or 16t would be better for starting out.), and an 1/8th inch chain (the stock chain will not work with most fixed cogs)

The crankset is what you pedal. It consists of the pedals, crank arms, and chain rings. The cog is the little sprocket that goes on the hub of your new rear wheel. The lockring is what hold the cog in place.
Sheldon Brown is a great resource for information. But don't feel too overhwlemed. Once you have the bike stripped down you will find that it is a lot less complicated than you thought it was.
Thanks again .. and to everyone who tried helping me .
Really great answer though and ill check out thay site . Thanks
Old 03-10-12, 08:35 PM
martincano15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also , did u paint the words shwinn varsity on the bikes white?? Or how did u do that?
Old 03-10-12, 10:21 PM
KtownScott
Knocks Cycling

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Trek 1.5, 82 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also , did u paint the words shwinn varsity on the bikes white?? Or how did u do that?
Ebay.
And go for the build man. You can take pride in that you built it yourself.
Old 03-10-12, 10:27 PM
KtownScott
Knocks Cycling

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, Trek 1.5, 82 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing. Or actually two. Depending on the wheelset you go with you may have to coldset the frame. I did on the Traveler I just built. And you will need some straps or clipless pedals.
Old 03-10-12, 10:46 PM
Derreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can find a good bike shop that stocks fixed gear parts then it would be worth it to start there. Urban hipster bike shops and bike co-ops are the kind of places your looking for. If you post your location someone might be able to recommend a good shop. I did basically the same thing your doing when I got started and the bike shop sold me a rear wheel, cog, lockring, tire, and tube for around $70. They double checked tension on the wheel, and installed the cog and lockring. You can also scour craigslist for used wheelsets, they come up all the time in my area.
Old 03-11-12, 11:17 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KtownScott
One other thing. Or actually two. Depending on the wheelset you go with you may have to coldset the frame. I did on the Traveler I just built. And you will need some straps or clipless pedals.
sheldonbrown.com has a lot of good info. on maintaining your bike, including how to coldset the rear. There's also a glossary of bicycle terms so you will know what everything is called.

The one piece cranks on the Varsity are called Ashtabula cranks and are very strong but heavy. They are easy to service. I'd take it apart just like Sheldon says and replace the bearings and clean it up and use fresh grease. I use marine grade grease and/or Phil Wood grease.

Post pics of your ride when you get it finished.
Old 03-11-12, 01:14 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a single speed rear wheel, you will not have to cold set the frame. Stock spacing on a Varsity is 120mm.
Old 03-11-12, 02:33 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Here's what can be done with a Varsity(Continental, actually but frame is the same)

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ion-Conversion
Old 03-11-12, 06:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Benson
Cogs go on the wheel. 14t is pretty high but maybe not with a 39t. I suggest you get a 15 or even 16t till you get a hang of the fixed gear
Ditto. 39x16 is plenty usable.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-12-12, 11:34 AM
martincano15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks For the info Everyone, i have already converted it into fixed gear. Ill post pics up when done.