Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Speed Uno electric conversion questions

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 11:02 AM
chillspike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HI,

I am considering combining the Bionx system set up in the video below (the BionX PL 350) with the Dahon Speed Uno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE1Mz9RcxO4

Given that the non-electric Dahon Speed Uno is one speed, should I anticipate problems or difficulties with such a conversion? (I'm new to electric bikes)

Obviously, i'm trying to save money on the bicycle side in order to afford the better Bionx system. So the related question I have is will the quality of the Dahon Speed Uno be decent given its low price? Am I getting a better bike than if I were to purchase say a Produco Mariner 7 or should I just get the Mariner 7?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-13, 04:13 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone in yahoo answers just told me the one speed Daho Speed Uno would not work with the Bionx system. Saved me from making a big amateur mistake, obviously. Basically said I need something with more speeds and hand brakes.

So with that in mind, let me reword my question:

What would be the least expensive 20" folding bike I could put the BionX PL 350 system on? Or am I still better off going with the Mariner 7?

I was thinking about a Gotham Citizen or a Vela. No good?

Thanks again.

Last edited by chillspike; 10-17-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 05:27 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The Speed Uno wouldn't work because of a rear dropout width of 120mm .. the Bionx system is 135mm .. so you would want a folding bike close to that width.. if it were me, I'd look for a good used Dahon Speed P8 (they turn up frequently on C/L) .. the frame is chromoly which should suit a 350w motor better than a folder with aluminum drop outs.. also the Speed P8 has generally better components than the competition in its price range, rides well, and is a tried a true design ... personally, I wouldn't slap a $1500 e-kit on a low end folder... what part of the country are you in?
Old 10-17-13, 09:51 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in central, NJ. Nothing in NJ on CL as of yet. Nobody makes a 20" electric with the motor on the back wheel?

Edit:

Found one. What do you think of Golden Motor? : https://www.goldenmotor.com/JDbike/ebikeprod.htm never heard of them myself.

I'm looking at the 20" pictured a little down the page at the link.

Last edited by chillspike; 10-17-13 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 03:43 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
The Speed Uno wouldn't work because of a rear dropout width of 120mm .. the Bionx system is 135mm .. so you would want a folding bike close to that width.. if it were me, I'd look for a good used Dahon Speed P8 (they turn up frequently on C/L) .. the frame is chromoly which should suit a 350w motor better than a folder with aluminum drop outs.. also the Speed P8 has generally better components than the competition in its price range, rides well, and is a tried a true design ... personally, I wouldn't slap a $1500 e-kit on a low end folder... what part of the country are you in?
I've decided to make this easier on myself and just put my money toward a new Dahon non-electric and save up for the Bionx system at another time. Given this new paradigm and assuming I have say $1500 to play with, which new Dahon's would be suitable for the BionX PL 350 system?

If you were looking for a new 20" folding Dahon for this Bionx system on the Dahon website, which one would you pick? Are there other models available with the chromoly frame? Or perhaps you would choose something other than a Dahon then?

Thank you once again and sorry for all the alterations to my question. Obviously, I'm new at this.

Last edited by chillspike; 10-18-13 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 04:54 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
btw, how do I find the dropout width for bikes I look at online? lol. Is that something you just have to know from experience or should it be somewhere in a bike's specifications?
Old 10-18-13, 06:02 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
You sold me on the Speed 8. I'm going to get the Speed 8 and then just add the Bionx system later. I'm not going to wait for 2014 and the E18.

Last edited by chillspike; 10-18-13 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 07:25 PM
taracallear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon uno conversion

Do you happen to have a recommendation for a conversion kit for a Dahon Uno?

Originally Posted by chillspike
Someone in yahoo answers just told me the one speed Daho Speed Uno would not work with the Bionx system. Saved me from making a big amateur mistake, obviously. Basically said I need something with more speeds and hand brakes.

So with that in mind, let me reword my question:

What would be the least expensive 20" folding bike I could put the BionX PL 350 system on? Or am I still better off going with the Mariner 7?

I was thinking about a Gotham Citizen or a Vela. No good?

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-20, 12:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Seems to have a coaster brake which pretty much precludes the use of mid-drive or rear hub motor. Need to check the front hub spacing (from the inside of the dropouts. Then check ebikesca since they sell front hub conversions for Brompton but an individual here had very bad luck with them and they're expensive. Report back with the hub dimension; if it's 100 mm (about four inches), you're in luck. If not, time to begin searching.
Old 07-20-20, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by taracallear
Do you happen to have a recommendation for a conversion kit for a Dahon Uno?
Tern Vektron S10 best conversion ever...mainly because it is a dedicated e-bike platform which is going to look and perform better overall. It (the company)was created by David Hon's wife and son so they learned a lot from working at Dahon and I think created something better. Plus Tern and Bosch have some of the best warranty departments in the industry so super reliable and easy to work on and of course of excellent quality.

Having a lot of people who are quite happy with their bikes I can certainly recommend it as something of quality. Plus it gives me the option if I already have a good folding bike to keep that good folding bike as a good folding bike rather than a meh conversion with little to no warranty.