Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Contend 3 (2020)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant Contend 3 (2020)

Old 06-09-20, 11:20 PM
methodman120

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Contend 3 (2020)

Hello all, I am new to this forum and had a question regarding the Giant Condend 3 (2020). I found this bike for $650 at a bike shop and took it for a test ride. I liked it but was not sure if this is a good bike for an entry level road bike rider? The saddle was a bit rough feeling on bumps (I can easily replace it though). I also don't remember if it had quick release skewers on the front or back tires (I would need that to put in my car easily)….if it does not, can those be added onto any bike that originally does not have them?

I also had a question regarding the brakes...I felt the brakes were not easy to grab quickly and found myself using the hood of the aero brakes mostly...but my thumbs tightened up. If there a way to fix that or add another lever? Can it be adjusted? I really don't want to slouch down too much to use the brakes while i'm riding.

Is this a bike that will hold its value?

Lastly, I was wondering if there were any other bikes that are similar to this bike that are recommended if this is not a good bike to buy?

I am also looking at some used bikes, but will post those questions in another forum
Old 06-10-20, 04:24 PM
shaun3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
What is your budget? That is about as entry-level as you can get. That doesn’t make it a bad bike; Giant makes excellent bicycles. The Contend 3 retails for $680 so you’re getting a small discount.

The saddle feeling rough over bumps has more to do with how well the frame dampens vibration and impacts, which is called “compliance”. Replacing the saddle won’t help much with this. Whatever you do, don’t get a thick cushioned saddle. Counter-intuitively, this will lead to more fatigue on your rear-end. You want a saddle that fits your rear end and merry that with padded cycling shorts. This will be, by far, the most comfortable for you.

I’m sure it has some kind of quick-release for the wheels. A quick Google image search indicates it has them.

You’ll probably find yourself using the hoods quite a bit more than the drops. But you should be able to adjust the reach of the brake levers. Here’s a short video.

This bike will not hold its value. Here is a 2017 Contend 3 for comparison: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3068197/

Any bike by a major manufacturer at a similar price will be pretty comparable to this bike. Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc. If you can share your budget we could better recommend bicycles for you.
Old 06-10-20, 04:29 PM
lykbutta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I reviewed road bikes and actually went with the 2020 contend ar1. The d fuse technology makes a huge difference. I test road the contend ar3 and the ar1 and glad I saved up the extra $$$$ to pick up that one. Also depends on budget. The contend 3 isn’t a bad bike at all, I was looking at getting more like,105 and the dfuse