Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

malcala Pays It Forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 11:28 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
malcala Pays It Forward

In a previous thread malcala sent me these four damaged bearing races from a Campagnolo Supper Record headset for reconditioning. I tried to send them back to him but he insists that they should be paid forward to BF members in need. Here are pics of the finished parts. Send a darned good story about your special need for each of these items, And I will consult with malcala as to where they should go.
As you can see I have one sheet of Diploma stock left as well. Send in a really good story and I may have to send you a degree. Smiles, MH

Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-13-20, 11:40 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I'll just throw in that MAlcala set me up sweet on a deal, followed up after and should be recognized as a righteous dude.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 10-13-20, 01:04 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
A good story? Well, I am old, wearing out and married. Industry helped to destroy my hearing. My vision is poor to say the least. My hair is white. My memory is gone (I think???). My four and one half teeth sort of help to masticate my food and my medically shortened small intestine does not like meat. I have three kids, six grand kids and one great grand kid. They all seem to need money, now and again. Did I mention that I am married?

Last winter, I foolishly sold a website that was a help to others. I had to leave Jamaica six weeks early so that I could sit in my daughter's basement for six weeks before returning to my summer cottage where my wife (did I mention that I am married?) and I spend most of our time alone. I do not have a dog. I do not have a motorcycle. And it looks like I will be freezing my donkey off this winter, being forced to stay in Canada. I can't believe how much it sucks to be me:-(

If someone else wants the head set piece, I could use a new car or truck. That's my story and it is all true! Old age is not for whimps. Anyway...

I need an Campy NR Italian head set bottom cone. The one on my early sixties Torpado Professional is split...
Old 10-13-20, 02:17 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
A good story? Well, I am old, wearing out and married. Industry helped to destroy my hearing. My vision is poor to say the least. My hair is white. My memory is gone (I think???). My four and one half teeth sort of help to masticate my food and my medically shortened small intestine does not like meat. I have three kids, six grand kids and one great grand kid. They all seem to need money, now and again. Did I mention that I am married?

Last winter, I foolishly sold a website that was a help to others. I had to leave Jamaica six weeks early so that I could sit in my daughter's basement for six weeks before returning to my summer cottage where my wife (did I mention that I am married?) and I spend most of our time alone. I do not have a dog. I do not have a motorcycle. And it looks like I will be freezing my donkey off this winter, being forced to stay in Canada. I can't believe how much it sucks to be me:-(

If someone else wants the head set piece, I could use a new car or truck. That's my story and it is all true! Old age is not for whimps. Anyway...

I need an Campy NR Italian head set bottom cone. The one on my early sixties Torpado Professional is split...
man, that story has me contemplating a 2nd trip to the liquor store today... and i'm hitting 65 on the 19th.
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 10-13-20, 02:34 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

man, that story has me contemplating a 2nd trip to the liquor store today... and i'm hitting 65 on the 19th.
Thanks for reminding me. My stomach will not tolerate beer anymore. And I am Canadian!-(
Old 10-13-20, 04:33 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
In a previous thread malcala sent me these four damaged bearing races from a Campagnolo Supper Record headset for reconditioning. I tried to send them back to him but he insists that they should be paid forward to BF members in need. Here are pics of the finished parts. Send a darned good story about your special need for each of these items, And I will consult with malcala as to where they should go.
As you can see I have one sheet of Diploma stock left as well. Send in a really good story and I may have to send you a degree. Smiles, MH

MH,
I missed the thread on reconditioning of the C races, will you provide the link, does it explain the process? No Hard luck story.....to offer but I am sure others will chime in...however, not being able to drink beer has to be high on the list.
Best, Ben
Old 10-13-20, 04:53 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Mad Honk

@malcala622 is indeed a good dude, looks like Randy deserves a race at least.

I have a couple of mismatched sets that were marked for up coming builds but got cannibalized after finding brinell and pitting in a couple that were in use so I could use them as well.

$$$ are tight, been off work for 3 mos so this would really help.

Also guess I should send you some of mine that need work?

Last edited by merziac; 10-13-20 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 05:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Ben,
First get your check book out and spend about $10k for high end machining tools. And about $5k to learn how to use them. I have never disclosed the process for reconditioning the races but it is fairly straightforward. Kind of like rebuilding a fuel injection system. But the process is just like the parts were made in the first place.
I use a number of different grits to achieve the end result. I grind out pits, dents and then polish to mirror finish at 1500 grit abrasives. The various bits require diamond infused rubber bits ground down to the size of the race being ground. A single grind of top race will use up a bit at a cost of about $10, the cost of inner races is far less as the grits used are paper based, but the tools need to be matched so the grind is consistent.
Certain parts cannot be revived as the dents and pits are beyond .015" and will weaken the race material. In many cases I can save the parts, but each set is different. I can teach you how to do it if you want to come to middle earth and visit BG and myself. As always it takes some knowledge and skills to get the work done. It is not for those who are parts replacers, but those who will rebuild and refurbish. Smiles, MH
Old 10-13-20, 05:04 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by merziac
Mad Honk

@malcala622 is indeed a good dude, looks like Randy deserves a race at least.

I have a couple of mismatched sets that were marked for up coming builds but got cannibalized after finding brinell and pitting in a couple that were in use so I could use them as well.

$$$ are tight, been off work for 3 mos so this would really help.
Also guess I should send you some of mine that need work?
Dooh!
Get yer shxt in the mail to me. And write a better sob story! Smiles, MH
Old 10-13-20, 05:04 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,510 Times in 1,049 Posts
Other than being a lawyer and everybody hating me, I got nuthin'. But I am hoping that the photos in the OP are not meant to show what passes for an IU diploma these days.
Old 10-13-20, 05:06 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,957 Posts
Ben,
First get your check book out and spend about $10k for high end machining tools. And about $5k to learn how to use them. I have never disclosed the process for reconditioning the races but it is fairly straightforward. Kind of like rebuilding a fuel injection system. But the process is just like the parts were made in the first place.
I use a number of different grits to achieve the end result. I grind out pits, dents and then polish to mirror finish at 1500 grit abrasives. The various bits require diamond infused rubber bits ground down to the size of the race being ground. A single grind of top race will use up a bit at a cost of about $10, the cost of inner races is far less as the grits used are paper based, but the tools need to be matched so the grind is consistent.
Certain parts cannot be revived as the dents and pits are beyond .015" and will weaken the race material. In many cases I can save the parts, but each set is different. I can teach you how to do it if you want to come to middle earth and visit BG and myself. As always it takes some knowledge and skills to get the work done. It is not for those who are parts replacers, but those who will rebuild and refurbish. Smiles, MH
Wow. $10 for one bit for one race. Definitely have to save that for the right restoration piece...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-13-20, 05:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Other than being a lawyer and everybody hating me, I got nuthin'. But I am hoping that the photos in the OP are not meant to show what passes for an IU diploma these days.
Remember of course that after ten years of paying for degrees at my esteemed Alma Matter, and winding up working there for 35 years at poverty level wages. and the demoralizing practices of management I think you are correct. Most of the degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on. I had the opportunity to join the law program at IU but found that the profession is far less than I expected. I have friends who are in the judiciary and many who are in the legal profession. I am not as a matter of principal.
Just my personal opinion. Smiles, MH
Old 10-13-20, 05:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Dooh!
Get yer shxt in the mail to me. And write a better sob story! Smiles, MH
Well I'm mostly a glass half empty guy. That being said, I really just chimed in for fun and would like to have the parts but also have the parts go to someone who needs them more.

Could have laid out the gruesome details for a better story but still count my blessings in my deal and the mess going on all around.

I'll PM ya.
Old 10-13-20, 05:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Randy,
The missing information in your tale of woe, and personal degradation from a "War Department" that you chose to be with, is the inner dimension of the race you are requesting. Lemme know, Smiles, MH
Old 10-13-20, 05:53 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Got no story, need nothing, but count me in if we’re lining up to testify that @malcala622 is indeed a most righteous dude, and meticulous packager of bikes!
Old 10-13-20, 06:04 PM
randyjawa 

Randy,
The missing information in your tale of woe, and personal degradation from a "War Department" that you chose to be with, is the inner dimension of the race you are requesting. Lemme know, Smiles, MH
I will double check the inside diameter required tomorrow when I can see what I am doing. Thank you.

Tale of woe? Nope, just life, wear and old age. I am a happy guy, married to the same lovely woman for 52 years...

I (we) have three kids, six grand kids, two step grand kids, and one great grand kid. I taught all but one to ride bicycles and he, the one year old, gets his lessons in days to come. yup, his first bike and I got it at the dump. Cleaned up and sanitized, he seems to like it almost as much as playing in the toilet bowl...
Old 10-13-20, 06:45 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Its a pleasure doing business and talking bikes with all here on BF.

Main reason Im paying it forward with these parts is bcuz i dont have an immediate use for them. I hate extra parts laying around.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-13-20, 07:02 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by malcala622
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Its a pleasure doing business and talking bikes with all here on BF.

Main reason Im paying it forward with these parts is bcuz i dont have an immediate use for them. I hate extra parts laying around.
I think you need to seek medical attention, no such thing as extra parts, only ones that are not currently deployed.
Old 10-13-20, 07:50 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Oh there is such thing as "extra parts" have you seen Mad Honk bike parts stash?

I like the thrill of the hunt for parts as I build a bike. Having all parts on hand is too easy.
Old 10-13-20, 08:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Ben,
MH,
Many thanks for the response, building a Rochester only requires the use of basic tools and a manometer for final adjustments unless the throtle bores are out of whack...needles in injectors are another matter. I assumed that the process required machining but wondered if the original races were plated and if so did you plate them after machining.
I wish that I had access to the equipment that you have at your disposal, but that may have to wait for another life. I will be content using lapping valves by hand and using my old craftsman toolset and flat files!
It's nice to know that there are still perfectionists out there that are committed to keeping the world moving.
Best, Ben
Now if you could only make me a gold anodized Galli front and rear derailleur! that I could afford!
Old 10-14-20, 09:32 AM
Mad Honk 

Ben,
None of the parts are plated where the bearings ride. The plating is ground off during the final finishing of the races, crown and head tube. The outer races are plated but the entire inside is ground down during the final finishing stages. I have a couple of HS's here to refurbish later this week. I s'pose I could document the process in a separate thread. It would need to something that is of interest to BF C&V members. Let me know, Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-14-20, 10:00 AM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by malcala622
Oh there is such thing as "extra parts" have you seen Mad Honk bike parts stash?

I like the thrill of the hunt for parts as I build a bike. Having all parts on hand is too easy.

Yeah! There is a certain thrill to finding just the right part for a build. here are couple of pics in the shop. The last three are of a parts buy from somewhere, and most of it needs to be deciphered to be useful. For example: buried in the pile is a binder for a Cinelli stem. You know the one that always splits in use. Or the stack of crank washers, and the eight or nine plastic seals for cyclone bottom bracket spindles. It all needs to be catalogued and labeled so it can be useful for BF members in need.

Now to find just the right hubs, derailleurs, and BB for the build

parts for sorting and cataloguing

more parts for cataloguing note the bb plastic seals and the stack of crank washers upper left

For the love of Shimano shift parts.
Ha! too many parts in the stash???? Smiles, MH
Old 10-14-20, 10:14 AM
xiaoman1 

Ben,
None of the parts are plated where the bearings ride. The plating is ground off during the final finishing of the races, crown and head tube. The outer races are plated but the entire inside is ground down during the final finishing stages. I have a couple of HS's here to refurbish later this week. I s'pose I could document the process in a separate thread. It would need to something that is of interest to BF C&V members. Let me know, Honk
MH,
I always welcome the opportunity to learn something new and am certain if you have the time to share and document the process others on the forum would appreciate it as well.
Best, Ben
Old 10-14-20, 10:21 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I could really use both top and bottom races, also in search of a top threaded cup. There is always someone in more need or who deserves it more so I will just leave it like that. I think what you guys are doing is really great.
Old 10-15-20, 08:55 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I'm a bike mechanic turned machinist turned bike mechanic again as of the pandemic. The money is much worse and benefits are nonexistent, but I appreciate the social aspect and five minute commute by bike, versus a one-hour each way commute by bike and public transit to the plant. I've also got a hobby shop space with some friends, with a decent sized mill and lathe. I'd love to learn about the race reconditioning process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.