Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Slippery When Wet!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Slippery When Wet!

Old 10-13-20, 06:21 AM
qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Slippery When Wet!

A few weeks ago I learned the hard way about slippery footbridges.

My accident took place on the Northwest Lancaster County, Pa River Trail, which like many rail-trails is mostly paved. This trail also has quite a few footbridges made out of metal and wood or perhaps that manmade decking material. A few weeks ago I was riding early Sunday morning after it had rained some the night before. The trail itself was fine and I knew that I had to be mindful of slippery wet leaves especially with all the curves in this trail but didn't take into account the bridges. Most of them are only slightly inclined but there is one adjacent to the Marietta Boat Club that is maybe 10 or 15˚ as it goes down on one side. As is typical there's a pole at the end which I swerved to go around as you normally would but my front wheel lost traction on the wet decking and down I went onto the path. My right knee and elbow get scraped up but it's my wrists, mainly the left one, that took the brunt of the impact. Luckily I had a scarf in my bag which I used to stop what bleeding there was. The chain on my Trek DS3 was knocked off but the bike itself didn't sustain much of any damage. After licking my wounds for a few minutes and collecting my shock and anger I walked the bike back over the bridge, reset the chain, and then rode back to my car but could only use my right hand which hurt less than the left. The X-ray revealed that nothing was broken thankfully, it was just a bad sprain, and hopefully, I'll be able to ride again this weekend. The bike is just a year old and the tires still have a lot of meat on them and were at around 40psi.

The moral of this long story is, be careful on those bridges in wet conditions!

Last edited by qrtzoj; 10-13-20 at 06:25 AM.
Likes For qrtzoj:
Old 10-13-20, 06:34 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
glad you're okay. reminder to all to slow down in the fall with leaves, bridges and wet conditions
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-13-20, 06:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
Crossed the river to Columbia last month during a tour across PA. Think I saw that trail beneath me.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-13-20, 06:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by qrtzoj
...manmade decking material...
I have walked on a few wet decks made from "manmade decking material" and it is unreasonably slick. I would not want to ride a bike over this stuff when it is wet.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-13-20, 07:54 AM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Crossed the river to Columbia last month during a tour across PA. Think I saw that trail beneath me.

Yes, the trail begins in Columbia and ends in Bainbridge. If you ever have the chance to come back here, it's a real nice trail but go early before the casual riders and walkers show up in strength.
Old 10-13-20, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,286 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by qrtzoj
Yes, the trail begins in Columbia and ends in Bainbridge. If you ever have the chance to come back here, it's a real nice trail but go early before the casual riders and walkers show up in strength.
I can imagine. I crossed on a sunny Saturday and could see a number of people despite a lingering chill in the air. I’ll bet it got crowded when things warmed up more.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-13-20, 09:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I have walked on a few wet decks made from "manmade decking material" and it is unreasonably slick. I would not want to ride a bike over this stuff when it is wet.
That stuff is often used on MUPs and such, as it is low-maintenance. But I have noticed that, especially in wet and shady areas, wet moss or lichen grows on it, and that stuff is sliiick. I know a couple riders who have crashed hard on that stuff on the path at a local state park.

Best to hit those bridges straight-on, don't turn and don't brake on them. Moderate speed.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-13-20, 07:07 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Ouch. Hope everything heals quickly.
Old 10-13-20, 07:18 PM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you, the scrapes have scabbed over with no infections, and while my left wrist still hurts I plan on going out back on the trail this weekend, weather permitting of course!
Old 10-13-20, 07:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
What kind of tires?

Old 10-13-20, 09:46 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
For cyclists, they sure named the season following summer correctly. Leaves are not your friend. Can hide a bunch of stuff that disagrees with your tires. And wet leaves? Especially on wooden bridges? ...More evil than an ex wife.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 10-14-20, 04:51 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
^^^^^ Just like on a motorcycle. Just like black ice and loose gravel. Chop the power, pull the clutch and coast straight across. No turns.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-14-20, 08:51 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
There's a boardwalk in our region and that boardwalk runs over a marsh. It's canted quite a bit to one side and in the morning when the dew is on the pressure treated lumber surface it's like trying to ride on grease.Nearly impossible to stay upright on a bicycle. Studded tires help a lot. LOL

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-15-20, 10:57 AM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Old 10-15-20, 11:02 AM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
For cyclists, they sure named the season following summer correctly. Leaves are not your friend. Can hide a bunch of stuff that disagrees with your tires. And wet leaves? Especially on wooden bridges? ...More evil than an ex wife.
Add to that a touch of frost on the wood early in the morning
Old 10-15-20, 08:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by DDzBike
Add to that a touch of frost on the wood early in the morning
so many ways to interpret...

Old 10-16-20, 09:43 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
The thing I always worry most about when riding in the wet here in Shanghai is road paint. They use a particularly slippery when wet paint for road markings here, and it's definitely not 2-wheel vehicle friendly. I'm always incredibly cautious about braking and turning when riding over painted markings (particularly crosswalks, given that they use the British style zebra crossing markings here which are very large areas of paint) in the wet.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 10-16-20, 01:39 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Even in good conditions, I find each bridge on MUP trails has its own challenges, abrupt (right angle) change in grade of up to 6", unusual surfaces, interesting tire grabbing cracks and grooves, no railings, etc.
That said, I discovered on an ordinary road that the bridges really do freeze before the road surface; collar bone is still broken.
Old 08-29-21, 04:41 PM
qrtzoj

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Actually it wasn't manmade after all, just good old wood made slippery thanks to wet leaves and a somewhat inattentive rider.

Old 08-29-21, 05:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Wet wood is a nightmare. Some sort of moisture-absorbing mold grows in a thin layer, and it is slicker than oiled ice.

The plastic "boards" are no better. If I have to ride planking, I go v e r y slow and absolutely straight. I try not to pedal if I can coast across. I am not at all ashamed to get off and walk---I have more dignity pushing my bike and walking than I do pushing my broken bike while holding a broken collarbone and walking.

Leaves on wet wood are even worse and leaves on wood? that is a foot path.

As @the_Chemist notes, wet paint is equally slick, particularly when it is newish and thick. For a while I commuted daily in a city with a long rainy season and learned all about scaring myself on paint.

Glad you bounced back, qrtzoj .
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-30-21, 10:37 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Wet metal is the worst for bike tires, though.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-30-21, 11:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
we don't like bollards. Wifey broke her wrist crashing into one. glad yours is just a bad sprain
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-30-21, 12:16 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Glad to hear the OP is on the mend. I sympathize with him - I broke 2 ribs on a bridge last fall. Not wet - long story for another time . . .

I find that a big hazard is the transition from trail to bridge. That strip of metal or wood is usually not even with either the trail or the deck. To make it worse, the trail surface often settles. The result is a severe bump that you need to hit straight on or it will toss you off line. This can be a bit sticky as several bridges have a curved approach.

Several bridges on the local trails are steeply arched like something you would find in a Japanese garden. Pretty, but no fun to ride over. There is no smooth transition - the arch starts abruptly and there is no hope of coasting across. You need to shift down and pedal hard - then you have the sharp downslope that may have a quick turn or rough transiton. A couple are short but have a steep arch and no railings.

These trail are heavily wooded, so wet leaves in fall add to the problem.

Like rumrunn, I hate the posts. My mind tells me there is plenty of room, but . . . .

And as the pix shows, bridges seem to be wonderful spots to rest, take pix, fish, etc.
Old 08-30-21, 12:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

OP glad you are for the most part, OK.

Good reminder to us all that swerving around an object, especially in slick conditions, is never a good idea. Always look way down the road, heads-up, and do not stare at what you want to avoid, but where you want to go. Prepare your line in advance. Same goes for driving.

Old 08-30-21, 01:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
we don't like bollards. Wifey broke her wrist crashing into one. glad yours is just a bad sprain
I hate bollards. Local town near me has a walking/riding trail with not one, but two bollards on each end of each bridge on the trail, making it even more narrow to ride between. It's a stupid way to keep vehicles off the bridges when just one bollard in the middle would have been fine.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-30-21 at 03:42 PM.
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.