Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1988 Bianchi campeone d’italia upgrade or leave as is??

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 10-13-20, 04:46 AM
mceciliaenator
Mac84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

ive recently inherited what I think is an ‘88 bianchi campeone d’ Italia. I’m new to cycling but have loved riding the bike for the last few months.
I’m not sure if I should just keep it as is and enjoy it or if I should try to fix up the paint and upgrade components etc. I’m planning to get it serviced but a full overhaul ~$250-is this worth it?

I’d appreciate any thoughts you guys have!
Old 10-13-20, 05:17 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@mceciliaenator - Welcome to C&V! you will find a lot of opinions and great advice. Ultimately any direction you go is your decision.
I suggest you post picutres. You can do this by clicking on your handle on the upper right and going to the user control panel. Under networking on the left side is pictures and albums. Post pics there until you have posted 10 times, 2 times a day for 5 days. Then you can post pics directly. Someone might post for you if you have saved pics in your photos.

We really need to see pictures of the bike which must include a drive side photo and plenty of good quality pics of the components and frame details along with any decals and stickers.

With pics, you will get fast response and good info.
Old 10-13-20, 06:35 AM
mceciliaenator
Mac84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the tip . I uploaded some pics I had on my phone to an album. I’ll take some better shots later today.
Old 10-15-20, 11:37 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 414 Posts
OP Album
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/19428840
Old 10-15-20, 12:21 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 414 Posts
@mceciliaenator

The pics in the album are quite dark and don't show much detail.
There are plenty of Celeste Bianchi fans around here, so once you get better pics up you should get more feedback.
Generally, when I see someone post "overhaul $250" I'm thinking you will be disappointed in the result.
The tires, cables, brakes, bar tape, and lube tend to eat up the budget, and it will still look like an old bike. Restoring the paint will be labor intensive and not likely part of an "overhaul". There might be someone near you that could recommend a shop for restoration.
If you are intending to upgrade to more modern components, it will likely cost much more. The frame spacing at the rear hub will limit what will fit there, and it goes on an on like that.
If you don't want to get involved fixing it up, the Classic and Vintage Sales forum will be an option to sell it to a member.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 10-15-20, 12:40 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
mceciliaenator if you like this bike and enjoy riding it (which it sounds like you do if you've been on it a bunch this summer) then keep riding it and keep enjoying it!
I'd agree with daverup that $250 for new tires, tubes, cables/housing, etc is likely the overhaul but IMO worth it.
IF it were me, one point I'd want to know is does the bike fit? The place/person providing the overhaul maybe able to tell you this by a quick look, or maybe able to do an actual fitting. Again, well worth the investment to determine a good fit before worrying about a re-paint.
Old 10-18-20, 08:27 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
That is actually an '87, you can tell by the script model name. Other than a complete overhaul and good waxing I am not sure I would change anything other than the tires, cablea nd brake blocks.

The Formula 2 frames were great riders and the Suntour on this is pretty nice. That ill fitting frame ump needs to go as well as possibly the seat bag.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-18-20, 12:05 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I have street restored a lot of bicycles and have a procedural way to do it, now. If you get someone else to do the below, then $250 is not bad.

Any bike I get, that is old, must be lubricated first (bottom bracket, head set and wheel hubs - this is important intending to prevent damage to bearings and bearing surfaces). A bike, left to sit for years and years, often times experiences lubricant looses its ability to lubricate...

Then, ensure that the bike is road worthy and safe to ride. Put another way, replace only what you have to. If the bike shifts well, then don't spend money on cables and cable casings. This holds true for brake cables also.

Age is not your brake pads friend. Old pads might have hardened (take a moment to sand or file or scrape off the hardened surface - that might be all that is needed - if not replace). Tires - I do not trust old ones anymore but they are pricey - your call on this one. In truth, I do try old tires for a short bit but only if they are not cracking or melting up (must also hold air). There is a danger here!

Once all is safe to use and road worthy, spend some time, a month or so, simply riding the bike. If it works for you, you're done. My only argument to that is, newer technology works better and is, as often as not, easier to use. Brifters (Brake and shifter combined into one)being a absolutely great upgrade but such a modification can prove costly...

Hope that is a bit of help and for what it is worth, your Bianchi sports the most desirable color they come in. Best of luck with your bike.