Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about seat post sizes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 12:23 AM
3030vision

Bikes: vintage Italvega fixed conversion, vintage Fuji fixed conversion, KHS Aero Track frame, old Motobecane 10 speed, fixed (!) Bridgestone MB-0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just picked up a KHS Aero Track/Aerotrack frame. Based on what I see on the bike now (and Sheldon Brown's seat post database), the frame is made for a 26.8mm seat post. It looks like 27.2 is a more common seat post size these days. What kind of trouble will I get myself in if I use a 27.2 seat post on this frame? Is that sort of a bad idea, not a bad idea at all, or a horrible idea?

I've been reading BikeForums in Google searches for a while now and it's time I learned some of this stuff first hand. Trying to give my expert biker friend a rest.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-08, 12:52 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
A horrible idea.

0.4mm doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is.
Old 06-26-08, 02:34 AM
3030vision

Bikes: vintage Italvega fixed conversion, vintage Fuji fixed conversion, KHS Aero Track frame, old Motobecane 10 speed, fixed (!) Bridgestone MB-0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
A horrible idea.

0.4mm doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it is.
Good to know. No, it doesn't seem like much difference. Is this size still readily available from bike shops?
Anything special I should know about getting a new seat post? Sounds stupid but I really have no idea. I'm looking to build this track frame out to a sweet fixed street bike.
Old 06-26-08, 04:38 AM
Rowan

www.sheldonbrown.com

Do a search on seatposts. While you are there, do a search on fixed gear and track bikes, and see what he said about converting track bikes for street use (just so you are aware of the issues).

I think you will find that seatposts come in diameter increments of 0.2mm. Some sizes, I think, aren't that easy to locate. Yours might be in that category. eBay is one place to start. You will need to look at length, too. Google searching might also help with "26.8mm seat post" as the key phrase. Note also I-beam; although I have no experience with them, I-beam seatpost clamps need I-beam-specific saddle rails. And, seatpost clamps vary in their usefulness. Again, www.sheldonbrown.com discusses the issues.

Finally, the SS/FG forum is a goldmine and cesspool of information all at once. It might be useful posting something over there. roadfix is one whose opinions I would value.
Old 07-01-08, 01:59 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by 3030vision
What kind of trouble will I get myself in if I use a 27.2 seat post on this frame?.
You wont get into any trouble.....because it wont fit.
Old 07-02-08, 02:16 AM
Rowan

You'd be surprised how people want to try to make it fit, with a club hammer!
Old 07-02-08, 08:49 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you absolutely can't find the proper size, then you can use the next smaller size and a shim. Not the best solution, but it works.
Old 07-06-08, 05:52 PM
mark9950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get a piece of sandpaper ad sand it down but putting a piece of sandpaper in your hand and rolling the seatpost in your cupped hand with the sandpaper 5-10 turns it will fit and you can paint it.
Old 07-07-08, 01:49 AM
3030vision

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up an extra long 26.8 mm mountain bike post on eBay for 6 clams. A little investigation shows this size is not super-hard to find although I'm sure there are more options in another size.

For the record, I wouldn't dream of using a hammer-- my first fixed gear bike had the seatpost hammered in! Totally hacked together.