Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would these Charge hybrid pedals be any good? (from Dick's sporting goods)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 01:03 AM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...chrghybrdclmsc

I have a gift card to Dick's and am also in the market for new pedals. Would these be solid pedals or can I chalk these up as **** Dick's/Walmart/Target garbage?
Old 04-12-20, 02:08 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Hard to say, but I wouldn’t risk it...

I just spent some time looking through their website, slim-pickings for bike stuff. However, they’ve got some decent lights (Blackburn, although it’s mostly their economy level products), and some pretty cool hydration packs, water bottles and cages (Camelbak, Topeak, and Blackburn, the latter even having a carbon cage).

Last edited by Ross520; 04-12-20 at 02:12 AM.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-12-20, 07:49 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I would say no, because it isn't clear who makes them, and because they really aren't all that much cheaper then the real thing, namely the Shimano PD M324. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Pedals
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-12-20, 08:12 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
They look fine to me and even have sealed bearings. I'd not be afraid of getting them in the least. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Originally Posted by MRT2
I would say no, because it isn't clear who makes them, and because they really aren't all that much cheaper then the real thing, namely the Shimano PD M324. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Pedals
To be fair, "I have a (Dicks) gift card" IS quite a bit cheaper than buying "the real thing" somewhere else.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-12-20, 08:18 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
They look fine to me and even have sealed bearings. I'd not be afraid of getting them in the least. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

To be fair, "I have a (Dicks) gift card" IS quite a bit cheaper than buying "the real thing" somewhere else.
OP can always use the gift card to buy some Nike or Under Armor T shirts and underwear and not take a chance on some off brand pedals.
Old 04-12-20, 09:15 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
If you a bike that new sold for less than $650 like those from Dicks, those pedals will be just fine, get them and save some money.

Charge is also not an off brand, they are known more in the UK than in America, they started out making saddles, then bikes, and now pedals and are quite popular in the UK because that's where their headquarters is.
Old 04-12-20, 09:27 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
If it were my gift card, I probably try them out, assuming the hybrid you're putting them on isn't some expensive hybrid beast.
Old 04-12-20, 11:50 AM
zachleft

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
If it were my gift card, I probably try them out, assuming the hybrid you're putting them on isn't some expensive hybrid beast.
It's a 1990s trek 1420 road bike I actually purchased just yesterday (first bike in many years). As you can see it has clip ins which I planned on swapping for flats, but I thought maybe I should get hybrids in case I ever decide to get more serious with riding and buy the shoes.

Old 04-12-20, 11:53 AM
MRT2

How about just get the shoes and cleats now?
Old 04-12-20, 12:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by zachleft
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...chrghybrdclmsc

I have a gift card to Dick's and am also in the market for new pedals. Would these be solid pedals or can I chalk these up as **** Dick's/Walmart/Target garbage?
At $50 they are in the same price range as other “campus pedals” and probably aren’t total junk. They are likely Wellgo rebranded for Charge Bikes and are the same quality as you’d find with any other pedal that isn’t Shimano. You have the card and the need. If they are total junk, what have you lost?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-12-20, 12:49 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by cyccommute
At $50 they are in the same price range as other “campus pedals” and probably aren’t total junk. They are likely Wellgo rebranded for Charge Bikes and are the same quality as you’d find with any other pedal that isn’t Shimano. You have the card and the need. If they are total junk, what have you lost?
It is the same $50 whether OP pays it out of pocket or uses the gift card. Because there is always something you can buy for $50 at a Sporting Goods store OP can use.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-12-20, 02:19 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

It is the same $50 whether OP pays it out of pocket or uses the gift card. Because there is always something you can buy for $50 at a Sporting Goods store OP can use.
It would depend on the need. Personally, I wouldn't find much at Dick’s that would work for my own personal outdoor hobbies. Frankly, I don’t find much at REI for those adventures and REI has much better quality stuff than Dick’s does. If zachleft needs (or wants) the pedals, the money isn’t wasted.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-12-20, 02:38 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It would depend on the need. Personally, I wouldn't find much at Dick’s that would work for my own personal outdoor hobbies. Frankly, I don’t find much at REI for those adventures and REI has much better quality stuff than Dick’s does. If zachleft needs (or wants) the pedals, the money isn’t wasted.
Under Armor or Nike technical wear, trainers, sport sandals. T shirts. Plenty of stuff you can use if you have a gift card..
Old 04-12-20, 03:33 PM
Wileyrat

Under Armor or Nike technical wear, trainers, sport sandals. T shirts. Plenty of stuff you can use if you have a gift card..
I'd gamble on the pedals before I bought Nike or Under Armour technical wear, or any of the other stuff you listed.

Different priorities for different people.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 04-12-20, 03:47 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I'd gamble on the pedals before I bought Nike or Under Armour technical wear, or any of the other stuff you listed.

Different priorities for different people.
I agree. It depends on need.

Old 04-12-20, 03:48 PM
Wileyrat

Originally Posted by zachleft
It's a 1990s trek 1420 road bike I actually purchased just yesterday (first bike in many years). As you can see it has clip ins which I planned on swapping for flats, but I thought maybe I should get hybrids in case I ever decide to get more serious with riding and buy the shoes.

Looks like they'll work fine on that. Lot's of people ride dual sided pedals until they decide what direction they want to go, or are more comfortable on the flats in congested situations and clip in when they want to.

The one thing I looked at was their compatibility with spd cleats, and it seems they are.

Btw, good luck with the new ride!

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-12-20 at 04:06 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 04-12-20, 05:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I find hybrid pedals to be handy and selected them for a touring bike in case I decided to ride in sandals occasionally instead of using shoes with cleats, and I use VP brand pedals (several sets on various bikes), what some folks would consider to be "no name." I'm betting yours will be fine.
Old 04-12-20, 06:41 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
try for both

If you are on good terms with your LBS ask them about NOS platform pedals. They usually have several pair laying around after being pulled or traded for better ones on new bikes and will sell them cheap. Then buy Dicks at least functional if not fashionable gear.
And yes, I have two pairs of dual-sided pedals (which work well) along with three pair of SPDs. But I still ride platforms most of the time.
Old 04-12-20, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Cheap pedals won't last as long and these look like someone slapped an SPD compatible piece on a cheap-o pedal. Might be functional for a time but I wouldn't spend my card on that. If someone who didn't know me gave me one, I will probably buy some cheap range ammo or ENO hammock stuff if I needed more.

If I want a good dual sided pedal it would be Shimano PD-EH500 or PD-T8000 and if I was desperate to save cash and was ok with that style of pedal: PD-M324. I might also consider the ISSI Flip III as it is triple bearing and comes in fun colors but more importantly it has adjustable/replaceable pins which hold your foot more securely.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-12-20, 07:50 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
There are only five contact points between you and your bike and pedals are two of them. My suggestion is to go with known quality. I have Shimano m424 pedals on three bikes and have never had a problem. They are $55.00 at REI and the same basic design, but appear to be much more robust. You don't want a pedal that fails in the middle of a ride (releases inconsistently...hard to release or releases too easily).
It's your choice. Choose wisely.
Old 04-13-20, 07:47 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have been using SPD clipless pedals since 1998 but only very recently got my first Shimano pedals (PD-M530). Have had generally good service with a variety of Performance-, Nashbar-, Wellgo-, and Victor/VP-branded SPD pedals. None of them have blown up mid-ride or failed prematurely. I'll report back if I find that the Shimano pedals turn out to be a significant improvement.
Old 04-13-20, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Isn’t Dick’s going out of business?
Old 04-13-20, 08:58 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Isn’t Dick’s going out of business?
As of yet, no. They are furloughing employees but still offering curbside pickup. Source: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/...000-employees/
Old 04-13-20, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by russtopherb
As of yet, no. They are furloughing employees but still offering curbside pickup. Source: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/...000-employees/
I must have been thinking about Modell's.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-20, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by JanMM
Have been using SPD clipless pedals since 1998 but only very recently got my first Shimano pedals (PD-M530). Have had generally good service with a variety of Performance-, Nashbar-, Wellgo-, and Victor/VP-branded SPD pedals. None of them have blown up mid-ride or failed prematurely. I'll report back if I find that the Shimano pedals turn out to be a significant improvement.
It hasn’t happened often but I have had nonShimano pedals break. One broke at the spindle and I’ve had a few Bontrager branded pedals break the release mechanism. And I do find Shimano engages and releases more consistently. But, that said, I currently have several bikes with pedals that aren’t Shimano that work well. These pedals are likely to provide years of service without issue. Most pedals do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.