Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rain Jacket - Current Thinking?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rain Jacket - Current Thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 01:04 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
If anyone is after the Gorewear ShakeDry, Bike Discount in Germany, have medium and extra-large jackets. In black, of course.
Old 01-14-24, 03:57 PM
HappyAussies

Bikes: 10yo Merida Speeder 100 for me, new Merida Speeder 100 for my wife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I can never figure out why the most common rain gear colour in the shop is black! what a fabulous colour for those dark, wet days when you really need to be invisible to cars .
Likes For HappyAussies:
Old 01-14-24, 06:32 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by HappyAussies
I can never figure out why the most common rain gear colour in the shop is black! what a fabulous colour for those dark, wet days when you really need to be invisible to cars .
I agree 100%. I can only assume that they are targeting roadies who race.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 01-15-24, 08:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Shakedry supposedly has some great properties. Apparently it can only be made in one color and maintain those properties. In any case they no longer make it in any color so what is stockpiled is all there is or will be.
Old 01-19-24, 01:44 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
I go with a simple Work Ready 3XXL, and let the excess bulk do all the ventilation for me. Nice bright colors and reflecting strips.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 01-28-24, 06:22 PM
HappyAussies

Bikes: 10yo Merida Speeder 100 for me, new Merida Speeder 100 for my wife

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
You haven't lived until you have eaten Tim Tams . Come to Australia and you can feast on them EVERY day ....... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam.
Likes For HappyAussies:
Old 04-22-24, 07:28 PM
Aushiker

An update. I was holding off on a purchase, given it has been so dry here, so I didn't need a new jacket, but as it is getting closer to winter, and I saw that 7MESH had the Copilot on sale with an extra 20% off, coupon code 'AprilShowers" I pulled the trigger. The cost worked out at $AU325/US$210 plus postage.

I will no doubt find out if it lives up to the hype soon enough.
Old 04-22-24, 07:55 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Happy rain riding!
Re taking care of jackets like these, I really do think it's worth keeping them in a bag or something when in with all your other stuff, to keep from being dirty and or scuffed up.
And like I've said before about washing and reapplying dwr stuff, I'm now very much convinced that doing this regularly will extend the life of an expensive garment, and it will work better for longer also.
Oh, did you get the ortlieb fork bag system in the end?
Cheers
Likes For djb:
Old 04-22-24, 08:15 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
Oh, did you get the ortlieb fork bag system in the end?
Cheers
Not as yet. I am holding off till the bike arrives so I can double check it they will work. The bike is 'due 30 April' but no word as yet that is still the date.
Old 04-22-24, 09:03 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Aushiker
Not as yet. I am holding off till the bike arrives so I can double check it they will work. The bike is 'due 30 April' but no word as yet that is still the date.
What bike is it? Just curious (can't recall if you've mentioned already)
Old 04-23-24, 06:51 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
What bike is it? Just curious (can't recall if you've mentioned already)
Reise and Muller SuperChartger 2 with Rohloff hub.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 04-23-24, 07:16 AM
djb

yowzer, not what I was expecting. Belt will be fun to use, just from a maintenance point of view , or lack thereof.
Old 04-23-24, 06:52 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
yowzer, not what I was expecting. Belt will be fun to use, just from a maintenance point of view , or lack thereof.
Signs of getting older and still wanting to tour That said I am still planning to ride my Surly Long Haul Trucker and Salsa Mukluk, but for shorter two to three-day rides and for longer tours where the eBike will not be a practical option.
Old 04-23-24, 07:02 PM
djb

Signs of getting older and still wanting to tour That said I am still planning to ride my Surly Long Haul Trucker and Salsa Mukluk, but for shorter two to three-day rides and for longer tours where the eBike will not be a practical option.
The mukluk looks like a nice fattie--i got a used fatbike a few winters ago and really enjoy winter trail riding. A real hoot and a fun technical challenge with traction and balance, I get a kick out of trying not to have to dab or put a foot down. Plus sliding is always fun and it's all good for keeping bike control skills up. Don't use it really in the summer, snow to me is where it's most fun.
Have fun with new toy when it arrives. A pinion belt drive bike would be a gas, but pretty unlikely in reality, but fun to read about.
Old 04-25-24, 02:20 AM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by djb
The mukluk looks like a nice fattie--i got a used fatbike a few winters ago and really enjoy winter trail riding. A real hoot and a fun technical challenge with traction and balance, I get a kick out of trying not to have to dab or put a foot down. Plus sliding is always fun and it's all good for keeping bike control skills up. Don't use it really in the summer, snow to me is where it's most fun.
Have fun with new toy when it arrives. A pinion belt drive bike would be a gas, but pretty unlikely in reality, but fun to read about.
There is no snow here, so mine gets used for beach riding and touring where sand is expected and well playing on single track.

Old 04-25-24, 06:20 AM
djb

There is no snow here, so mine gets used for beach riding and touring where sand is expected and well playing on single track.
ya, I still get a laugh of how the float of a fattie can ride over stuff that would be just impossible on smaller tire bikes. Ive done single track a bit on it and its a hoot also.
Snow is similar to sand, but different in its own way, and of course, snow has a whole slew of different characteristics depending on the type of snow, how deep, wet snow, dry snow, loose base, hard base....just a ton of variables and so getting the right tire pressures is crucial to maintaining traction.
My tires are only 4in (actually measure more like 3.5 pre squish) , so more finicky than 4.5, 4.8 or whatever, so having really good low pressures like 5psi is crucial to the tire deforming over the snow surface and giving traction.
A real learning curve at first, but fun.
cheers (and yes, I think I remember your photo from the past)
Likes For djb: