Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

reelight rl770 or union bottom bracket dynamo?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 03:13 PM
chicagobent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am sick of recharging batteries and also sick of having to remove my lights when I lock up my 3 speed city bike which I use for transport in Chicago. I don't have the money for a dynamo hub wheel and I don't want a sidewall bottle dynamo due to slippage during winter snow and because my folding baskets are in the way of where a bottle dynamo would mount to the seat stay.

I have a new union bottom bracket dynamo set (no longer made, but never been used). The tail light lens is cracked, but I can get a replacement tail light for $15. The headlight has a halogen bulb with over voltage protection. This is my cheapest dynamo option and the bulbs could later (after the bulbs burn out in a few years) be retrofitted with nice light dynamo led bulbs for about $45 (which would have built in stand lights). I would use a battery rear led blinky as a backup and for stops until then.

The alternative is to spend $87 and get the reelight rl770 set which would have no friction, but would cost a little more and may have a headlight which is a little dimmer. This set has stand lights.

I would love to hear comments from anyone with experience using the reelight 700 series, especially about how the brightness of the headlight compares to a standard 2.4v halogen dynamo headlight.

I do not want to hear recommendations for dynamo hubs or battery powered led lights, so please don't go there. I would be happy with the brightness level of the union dynamo based on my past experience with union dynamos. I do not need brighter to see the road or be seen. I would splurge for the reelight if its headlight is at least that bright because of the the lack of noise, friction and risk of slippage.

Discuss!

Last edited by chicagobent; 11-09-14 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old 11-09-14, 06:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7412 Post(s)
Liked 2,612 Times in 1,523 Posts
There is an active thread about keeping a sidewall (aka bottle) dynamo running in wet weather. Some people have managed to do it. There might be a mounting point on your bike you haven't thought of, such as your fork. I have been pleased with how well old bottle dynamos work with modern LED lights!

The bottom bracket dynamos are notorious for slipping in the wet, though it may be possible to remedy that.

Since you have a dynamo already, I say try it. I put a Sanyo BB dynamo on one of my wife's bikes. She's only run it once or twice, and so far, so good.

I'm also interested in hearing how the reelights work! No experience with them yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-14, 07:31 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've used a few sidewall dynamos and one bottom-bracket mount (I think it was a Sanyo) and had far more issues in rainy conditions with the latter. I think it was because it ran against the very center of the tire and that's where the water tends to be the most. The particular unit I had also had the unfortunate tendency to be dislodged when hitting bad bumps. It would frequently disengage and lock in the off position so I'd find myself without any light just when needing it the most on a badly potholed street. Careful mounting of the sidewall dynamos let me use them successfully in rainy conditions, but snowy roads did pose a problem (moving to California has eliminated the issue).
Old 11-10-14, 07:45 PM
chicagobent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for your input Noglider and Prathmann. I will probably go with the union bottom bracket as getting a cheap new tail light is all that is needed. The union bottom bracket dynamo has a different surface which makes contact with the tire as compared to the Sanyo brand. I have heard that it does not slip as much. I don't love the idea of putting a bottle dynamo on my fork, although I know that can be done. The bottom bracket dynamo is easier to ground without marrying the finish on the bike. I can always get a hub dynamo wheel later. Once I actually do something, I will update. In the meantime, I would still want to hear from a real live person who has used the eeelight 700 series.