Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Examples of a steel fork's steerer tube being extended and threaded

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 09:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts

Found an appropriate chrome fork for a specific bike (stamped crown) but the steerer is too short by a good bit, ~ 2inches or more (5+cm).
Nice Italian SL frame, replacement fork & components and a fast rider, but definitely not a museum piece.

A. Is welding & threading an extention on the steerer possible as a fair value, or
B. just continue the Patience in the Search (the PitS)

C. Raking the existing replacement Tange is also an option. But sub-standard, tho' economically practical.

D. or just deal with bike handling that's balanced but a bit too quick, short of twitchy.
Old 04-20-19, 09:59 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/a-.../#post-1008194

-----
Old 04-20-19, 10:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by juvela
Keeping 1" steerer for vintage stem is a goal for the aesthetic.
#1 post above sounds good for 1 1/8th conversion,
…..but he didn't show the 'after' pic on the repaired steerer.
Old 04-20-19, 10:23 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
If it were me doing it here's what I would do.

1. Buy a threaded 1" steerer tube from Framebuilder Supply. These are made by Columbus, and are only $18.75. Now you don't have to worry about threading the steerer after welding, or paying someone to thread it.

2. Using a pipe cutter, cut off the existing steerer on the fork at the point where welding the new steerer on will give you the correct length for the headtube and headset. Use sandpaper to sand off the chrome before using the pipe cutter.

3. There are many pipe clamps on the market for holding 2 tubes end-to-end for butt welding them together squarely. I have a Bessey. Any should work. Clamp the old and new steerers together and either braze or TIG weld them.

4. Sand down the braze or weld joint to smooth.
Old 04-20-19, 10:29 AM
TenGrainBread 

With all the prep work (sanding and cutting), welding/brazing, and finish work, this would take me about an hour and a half. I would probably charge $50 to someone off the street. A BF member, half that.

DM me if you're interested in that. With postage, the new steerer, and the welding work you'd probably be $80 into it all said and done.
Old 04-20-19, 10:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
If it were me doing it here's what I would do.

1. Buy a threaded 1" steerer tube from Framebuilder Supply. These are made by Columbus, and are only $18.75. Now you don't have to worry about threading the steerer after welding, or paying someone to thread it.

2. Using a pipe cutter, cut off the existing steerer on the fork at the point where welding the new steerer on will give you the correct length for the headtube and headset. Use sandpaper to sand off the chrome before using the pipe cutter.

3. There are many pipe clamps on the market for holding 2 tubes end-to-end for butt welding them together squarely. I have a Bessey. Any should work. Clamp the old and new steerers together and either braze or TIG weld them.

4. Sand down the braze or weld joint to smooth.
I don't like the idea of butt weld brazing. But, butt weld TIG should be fine. You may wish to put the crown race on first.

An alternative for brazing (and perhaps TIG welding) would be to add an internal sleeve backer, which would give the brazed joint the strength of new, and not be bad for the TIG joint.

An issue, of course, is the length of stem that can drop into the tube above the joint. Going threadless would eliminate the length of stem issue.

Pipe cutters give a nice clean cut, but tend to swage the ends of the pipe somewhat. Perhaps not a big issue of TIG welding, but potentially an issue for brazing with a sleeve.
Old 04-20-19, 10:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
With all the prep work (sanding and cutting), welding/brazing, and finish work, this would take me about an hour and a half. I would probably charge $50 to someone off the street. A BF member, half that.

DM me if you're interested in that. With postage, the new steerer, and the welding work you'd probably be $80 into it all said and done.
Thanks a bunch for the offer. Maybe.
Should be doable from closer than Madison, WI.

You have confirmed it's possible and reliable.
Old 04-20-19, 12:07 PM
TenGrainBread 

@CliffordK I agree that a small internal sleeve would be a good for brazing. With a slight gap between steerers, the sleeve would work for TIG as well. I doubt it would get in the way of a quill if low enough on the steerer.

Re: pipe cutter. Yeah the ends do get swaged a little bit, thinned out. I also have a tungsten carbide tipped cold saw that I use regularly to cut tubes and it does a good job of keeping the cut square.