Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cervelo paint matching?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cervelo paint matching?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 01:11 PM
Hank_Scorpio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cervelo paint matching?

I dropped a chain and have a few scratches on the frame of my S5 as a result, and after looking around it appears that Cervelo ops to use their own proprietary paint formulations in lieu of something like an automotive manufacturer’s paint code and doesn’t sell touch up paint or offer assistance with finding a match. Any suggestions on what I should do here?

Some have suggested using fingernail paint but that seems like a sloppy solution given the cost of the bike.
Old 05-23-23, 01:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
All the auto makers have their own formulations too for color. So why should bike makers be any different?

If you don't like the idea of fingernail polish then go to your local auto parts store and browse through the touch up paint. Still whether it's auto paint, fingernail polish or the actual bike paint, how well a job you do is going to stand out way more than a slight color mismatch.

Still, try the fingernail polish. It'll probably flow out smother and it'll cost you less since it'll come in smaller quantity.

Or do what I do for scratches. Nothing.
Old 05-23-23, 01:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank_Scorpio
Some have suggested using fingernail paint but that seems like a sloppy solution given the cost of the bike.
If you dont like the fingernail paint option, you could buy 6 different colors of paint from an auto store- the paint pens for example, and spend an hour mixing any matching. 3 shades of whatever color you want, plus a gray, a white, and a black. Then get started mix and matching, while writing down how much of each you use in each mix. Be sure to let the paint samples dry since the color changes once dry. Then work on repeating whichever of the countless options is a match so you can fill in the scratches.

...or leave the scratches.
Old 05-23-23, 06:05 PM
Hank_Scorpio

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
All the auto makers have their own formulations too for color. So why should bike makers be any different?

If you don't like the idea of fingernail polish then go to your local auto parts store and browse through the touch up paint. Still whether it's auto paint, fingernail polish or the actual bike paint, how well a job you do is going to stand out way more than a slight color mismatch.

Still, try the fingernail polish. It'll probably flow out smother and it'll cost you less since it'll come in smaller quantity.

Or do what I do for scratches. Nothing.
yes, most automakers have their own color formulations but they publish them such that they are widely available from third parties in addition to being published to open-source databases, such that automated paint mixing machines can produce a perfect match to the original paint on an ad hoc basis. In many cases the OEM produce their own branded touch up paint, which has been the case with every car I’ve owned. Bike manufacturers do none of these things, so that is the difference.
Likes For Hank_Scorpio:
Old 05-24-23, 07:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank_Scorpio
yes, most automakers have their own color formulations but they publish them such that they are widely available from third parties in addition to being published to open-source databases, such that automated paint mixing machines can produce a perfect match to the original paint on an ad hoc basis. In many cases the OEM produce their own branded touch up paint, which has been the case with every car I’ve owned. Bike manufacturers do none of these things, so that is the difference.
Noted... Very good point!
Old 05-26-23, 08:20 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
A lot of auto parts stores can now match paints and sell you a rattle can of it, also a clear coat if needed. They can do a computerized exact match but need a 2 inch or so flat part of your bike to put their scanner on. Problem is there's no such place on most bikes,at least not on the two I've tried this on. Not the fork or top tube ,which I thought might work. But, the paint guy/girl in the store has likely gone to paint school and can usually come real close on his own. It's worth a shot. Keep in mind that after a can of primer,one of paint and one of clear you'll be out 80 bucks or so, but those cans will last forever. I've been very satisfied with the results when I've gone this route. You might even find something premixed on the shelf that could come close,all depending on your level of discernment.
I'll edit this to add that you need to find a helpful store. First place I went it was off the shelf or nothing, second place had a great younger person that took it as a challenge and mixed up a few samples before nailing it. You might ask at a bike store if they can recommend a place.

Last edited by Champlaincycler; 05-26-23 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-26-23, 08:33 AM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I'm dealing with an insurance claim after getting hit by a car a couple weeks ago. Damage to the bike, a Caledonia-5, includes a few scratches to the frame. The frame is warrantied for life. I sent an inquiry to Cervelo support about methods to repair the frame damage. This was Cervelo's response:

...attempting to repair or repaint a frame beyond simply applying touch-up paint will void the warranty that applies to your frame. Much of that has to do with the safety of the frame. Once it is repaired or altered in any way up to and including sanding and repainting, we can no longer vouch for its safety and this is why the warranty becomes void in cases of attempted repair and repainting.
Make sure any repairs are limited only to minor touch-ups.