Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dodged a bullet, sort of...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dodged a bullet, sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 11:14 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
I will add my vote for the dog. You can find plenty of medium sized to big, loyal, friendly dogs at the pound. All they really need to do is bark, they don't really need to attack. Most thieves will not enter a house with barking dog(s), especially if they sound even remotely big/ferocious. I would not strongly argue against a pit, I have owned more than a few, but they can be a challenge and you never know how they have been trained/socialized if you get one from the pound. We have never had a break in and I never worry because we have always owned three or more dogs, at one time we had a Great Dane, a Bull Mastiff, two Pitbulls and a Bassett Hound. The hound's baying would paralyze them while the other dogs would rip them to shreds But the Pitbulls never really got along with each other very well and that was a challenge. All were rescues or shelter dogs.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 06-07-12, 11:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
Sorry to hear this..... maybe this means Karma will turn and your next bike find will be most spectacular yet.

I sometimes wonder if small yappy dogs are better.....they don't scare people but the make a lot of noise and that alone might help..... the dog experts can comment..... but that is my observation from dogs in my hood.

Old 06-07-12, 11:21 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
As someone who has rescued more than a few dogs, I just want to point out the obvious....

Please consider the acquisition of a dog very carefully, and walk into it with your eyes open. They require a high level of care and commitment, and need human interaction. A lot of folks go into it without considering all of the ramifications, and the dog they initially thought was a great idea gets left alone, gets into mischief, and gets thrown out. Very few of those that are given up find homes.... most are destroyed.

Not trying to lecture you or insult you, just advocating for the dogs of the world. I like dogs more than I like most people.

Oh, yeah.... one more thing. When I was a consultant, not backing up client deliverables was a hanging offense.

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-07-12, 11:24 AM
MalcolmsFrejus

Bikes: Franklin Custom Road, Frejus TDF,Bianchi CromoLite Reparto Corse, Trek 470, Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a shepard. Here's what they look like when they yawn.
Goes nuts everytime the doorbell rings or someones knocks.
Loves the kids - my daughter used to ride him like a pony and fold his ears inside themselves.
Will probably eat the cats.
Old 06-07-12, 11:26 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are large, protective, yet loving dogs. Might be an option. My family had two German Shepherds when I was growing up (one that was rejected from a seeing eye dog school b/c it got too big to fit under a bus seat). Great dogs but it always breaks my heart to see them struggling with their nearly inevitable hip problems. You may also splurge on a Labradoodle--big enough to be intimidating, friendly like a lab, and smart like a poodle, plus no shedding! Here's our labradoodle, Argus, who barks at the slightest sound (though he's 3/4 lab and sheds).

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 06-07-12, 11:27 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I did back up! I backed up so recently that it was near the lap top

We owned a dog for a few years. We know what we're in for (and no, we didn't abandon him).
Old 06-07-12, 11:45 AM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, Aaron. You seem to be taking it well, with a sense of humor and a sense of how fortunate you are that onky some material posessions were lost. I think that that says a lot about what kind of person you are.

If you get a German Shepherd, try to avoid a purebred. Like someone else mentioned, they typically have debilitating hip problems later in their (relatively short) life and are generally pretty neurotic. We've had several, and they are amazing dogs if they are treated well and given space to run. Loyal like you wouldn't believe and smarter than most people. When I grow up and have a house and space, I will get some sort of rescue German/Australlian Shepherd mix.

Oh and our shepherds liked our cats, fwiw.
Old 06-07-12, 12:26 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Geez, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Old 06-07-12, 12:32 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
When it rains it pours. I woke up at 2am to find two men in our house. I screamed "Lori (my wife), get the gun!" (no we don't have a gun), and they bolted. I've been sleeping on the first floor because of the broken leg...and I have no idea how I didn't wake up when they pushed our A/C in. Anyway, they stole our TV, a Wii, about $800 in cash, our wallets (have a lot of canceling/reordering to do!) and, worst of all, my work laptop. Worst of all because I have years of irreplaceable work on there.

BUT...they passed right over the Sachs tourer, the Vanilla and the Titanio. THANK HEAVENS.
Holy crap, Aaron! So glad you are OK. That's terrible about your computer. I would perish in flames if that happened to me!
Old 06-07-12, 12:33 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry to hear it, Aaron. Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 06-07-12, 12:41 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MalcolmsFrejus
Get a shepard. Here's what they look like when they yawn.
Yep yep. Definitely intimidating choppers.

But he can be sweet when he wants to.

But mostly just a couch potato,

and a bed hog

By the way... that's the way he usually sleeps: With one ear up. And if there are any funny noises, you'll see the ear moving around. Then it relaxes again or... he decides he needs to investigate and he'll get up. That guard dog instinct.

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
If you get a German Shepherd, try to avoid a purebred... Loyal like you wouldn't believe and smarter than most people.
Yep. Our mix has a great personality.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 06-07-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 12:43 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 281 Posts
I'd vote dog over gun: a gun won't deter an intruder unless you are there to brandish it, (and be prepared to use it). A good dog will bark when they break in, whether you're there or not, and probably scare 'em off, avoiding a potentially dangerous confrontation.

And I've posted this before, but I recommend everyone take good digital pics of, and write down serial numbers of bikes, guitars, computers, etc. Then put 'em on the web, in a dropbox account, or just email them to yourself. Valuables are replaceable, and having good digital records gives you a far better chance at either recovery, or a successful insurance claim after a burglary or fire.

Best of luck recovering your stuff.
Old 06-07-12, 12:51 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
This thread makes me want to leave work early and head home,
and install a video camera feed to the internet so I can check things out remotely,
and change all the locks in the house.

I has a Chessie (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) back before I got married. The landlord of a house I was renting once came in while I was still im bed, dog placed himself in the bedroom doorway and barked and growled until the landlord left after he fixed the stove. The Chessie never attacked and never left the doorway, I suspect the story would be different if the landlord had tried to go anywhere except the kitchen. He weighed in at about 110 Lbs.

We have two dogs now, one is going blind in one eye and barks at any abnormal sounds, and at most normal sounds late at night. The little dogs catches the stuff the bigger one misses. If both dogs start barking at night then I go into action. You'd be amazed at what a pedal wrench can do.

Glad things weren't worse.
Old 06-07-12, 12:57 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
I'd vote dog over gun: a gun won't deter an intruder unless you are there to brandish it, (and be prepared to use it). A good dog will bark when they break in, whether you're there or not, and probably scare 'em off, avoiding a potentially dangerous confrontation.

And I've posted this before, but I recommend everyone take good digital pics of, and write down serial numbers of bikes, guitars, computers, etc. Then put 'em on the web, in a dropbox account, or just email them to yourself. Valuables are replaceable, and having good digital records gives you a far better chance at either recovery, or a successful insurance claim after a burglary or fire.

Best of luck recovering your stuff.
An intruder also can't wrestle your dog away from you and use it against you.
Old 06-07-12, 01:04 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry to read about your misfortune and ordeal. I feel for you to have one's home security violated.
It was fast thinking to shout out something to scare them out of there. But be warned, if they now think you have firearms in the house, they may wait you out to return when the house is empty to steal that too. Very $$$ on the streets of Phily.

The pushing in the AC from the wall is an old burglar's method of entry. Learned that a long time ago in NYC.

Last edited by WNG; 06-07-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 01:05 PM
YoKev
hi

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
This thread makes me want to leave work early and head home,
and install a video camera feed to the internet so I can check things out remotely
Do it.

There are lots of scumbags out there. I currently have two wireless IP cameras running (Sharx), both motion activated, and one has infrared night vision. When motion trips them, it sends an email with picture to a gmail account for every second of movement it records. If I need the video feed, I log into the cameras SD card and download it. Very long story short, I got them for a reason, and they have paid off. I was able to use the footage to press felony charges and receive restitution for a crime against me. I need to move...
Old 06-07-12, 01:05 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
A shepherd X can do well. Mine has a nasty bark and growl, but then goes and curls up to sleep with the 3 cats.

+1 A dog would probably prevent it from being considered in the first place. All they have to do is bark in order to draw attention. Even little ones have their uses.

I'm glad you are safe Aaron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Snarly Bruce.jpg (100.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
100_0093.jpg (93.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by beech333; 06-07-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 01:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I'm hoping you all work through this episode ok, and can prevent another.

I got my house and garage rummaged by burglars in L.A. in '96, but they didn't get the bikes. I think they were planning to come back for a 2nd haul, but they must have gotten spooked. No, I didn't have insurance.

Glad you're both ok.

Last edited by dddd; 06-07-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 01:10 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I have 2 rescued labs & 2 rescued cats. All get along just fine. The labs are super nice but sound like they will tear you apart when someone shows up outside. I have had more than one person remark at how fierce they SOUND. Good luck!
Old 06-07-12, 01:45 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
I suspect the story would be different if the landlord had tried to go anywhere except the kitchen. He weighed in at about 110 Lbs.
So your landlord wasn't a very big man, eh?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-07-12, 01:45 PM
MalcolmsFrejus

Bikes: Franklin Custom Road, Frejus TDF,Bianchi CromoLite Reparto Corse, Trek 470, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aaron. forgot to say sorry for the misfortune. I can sympathize.

One note on shepards - the white ones are not bred to have sloping hips - no hip problems.
Old 06-07-12, 01:50 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Agree on the dog, but listen to BigBossman's comments. Agree on passing on the pit or other breeds 'known to be' aggressive if you're getting from a rescue. While there are lots of great pits and dobermans and the like, I like the idea of a boxer, lab, or other breed with more bark than bite. Most robberies are crimes of opportunity, like someone else said, just having a dog that will make noise will usually send a crew on to another house over yours.

As far as future backup goes, perhaps it's time for SkyDrive or something of the like? I'm getting ready to move my external to be hooked up to the router, and I'll probably hide it behind the file cabinet or something.
Old 06-07-12, 02:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I'd say go with a burmese mountain dog. Those suckers will just sit on a burglar and that'll be that. Well until you have to clean up the pulpy mess when the dog gets up to go out for a walk later on.

Old 06-07-12, 02:12 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,057 Posts
Damn Aaron! Now I am sorry I joked about stealing your bikes in another thread!

Gotta love the 'City of Brotherly Love'. Had my car stolen twice and its stereo faceplate three times when I lived there 1996-97.

Last edited by Rocket-Sauce; 06-07-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 02:13 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Glad to hear you and your wife are OK, there is nothing that can replace either of you. There is nothing more insidious than a common thief. They steal more than material possessions, they steal your peace of mind and security.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.