Old 04-24-19, 06:12 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Redwood Road accident

Saw a rider down on the Redwood Road descent (Skyline -> Pinehurst) this morning around 10. Emergency services had just arrived so I didn’t stop. Hopefully he is not seriously injured and back on the bike soon...

PSA: I do that descent often and it can be fast near the top but a few nasty potholes have developed that can be hard to see especially when hidden in the shade. One is out near the centerline. I hit it a few days ago couldn’t believe I didn’t have flats and/or rim damage. Careful out there!
Old 04-24-19, 06:42 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ouch! If it's where I'm think it is, I have crashed in the very spot. Twice.

First time, I was climbing up Skyline on my road bike after some rain, and hung a high-speed left onto Pinehurst, and unknown to me, Pinehurst was inexplicably covered in about 2 inches of mud. Possibly due to a washed out embankment or maybe some road work. I went down in the very first turn, and had to ride home banged up and muddy. Not a happy camper. I never did figure out where all that mud came from, nor could I see the mud until I was already riding though it.

Second time, I was on my MTB riding back from Berkeley in the rain on knobbies. I had just read a Velo News article about "counter-steering" and decided to try it out on the Pinehurst descent. I made it through the first couple of turns, but on one I leaned the bike over too far, and I discovered that knobby tires on wet pavement can only be leaned over so far. A car following me stopped, but I was fine. That's the great thing about crashing in the rain, you don't get much road rash, you just slide. I was more embarrassed than hurt.

But yeah, that's a dangerous descent right near the top of Pinehurst.