Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Planing a one week bike tour in New England

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 06:06 AM
freeman1961

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, in the beginning of October I'm coming from Germany to Boston and would like to do a bike tour with my wife for a week. I am now looking for a good bike rental for touring bikes with porters and of course suggestions for routes. Ideal would be a round trip, which starts and ends in Boston. What do you think of the East Cost Greenway " Boston to Cape Cod Loop"? Thanks for all the hints !!
Old 07-30-19, 04:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have noting specific to suggest but I would investigate the link. https://www.google.com/search?client...+around+boston
Old 07-30-19, 05:31 PM
Michael8585

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am as well. I started a similar thread that is currently active at the top of the forum. Could be some good info on there for ya.
Old 07-30-19, 07:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
You might consider Vermont. There is a company there called inntoinn.com that rents bikes, provides routes, and transports luggage.

Old 07-31-19, 05:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Are you planning on sightseeing in Boston ?, or is it just a convenient place to fly in/out of ?

I would read a bit on the Metro Boston thread to get a feel for whether or not you want to cycle into and out of.

As well, are you camping ?, I.E. front/rear panniers, tent, sleeping bags ?, etc... or “credit card touring”, as in only carrying food and clothing, staying in hotels and eating in restaurants ?. If camping I’d be heading out of Boston as easily and quickly as possible for either Maine or Vermont. Many more camping options out of the city.

Camping means a full blown touring bike and that may be hard to find as a rental. The trend at cycle shops in the U.S. is to not support cycle touring, as much as is seen in Europe, thus you tend to see many fewer touring bikes for sale at shops.

If if credit card touring, I’d be renting a car, drive to Vermont and do an inn-to-inn tour as Terry suggested. Vermont May be the premier New England cycling destination and it’s a wonderful place to bike. The tour groups also rent bikes so that makes it easy and they do loop routes so you leave a car and return to it at the end.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-31-19, 08:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by freeman1961
Hello, in the beginning of October I'm coming from Germany to Boston and would like to do a bike tour with my wife for a week. I am now looking for a good bike rental for touring bikes with porters and of course suggestions for routes.

Ideal would be a round trip, which starts and ends in Boston. What do you think of the East Cost Greenway " Boston to Cape Cod Loop"? Thanks for all the hints !!
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Are you planning on sightseeing in Boston ?, or is it just a convenient place to fly in/out of ?

I would read a bit on the Metro Boston thread to get a feel for whether or not you want to cycle into and out of.

As well, are you camping …If credit card touring, I’d be renting a car, drive to Vermont and do an inn-to-inn tour as Terry suggested. …
Originally Posted by Michael8585
I am as well. I started a similar thread that is currently active at the top of the forum. Could be some good info on there for ya.
I replied to @Michael8585’s thread with some general information:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Suggestions for next epic ride”

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston [link] that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days ...

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene.

Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth....

If you’ve never been here before, the experience may be even more…epic.
BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.
and I also replied to an earlier request:
What to do in/around Boston?”
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-31-19 at 10:05 PM.