Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

83-84 Battaglin

Old 09-01-19, 11:45 AM
Bajabri

Bikes: ‘84 Alan sprint, Rocky Mountain Altitude 799, Trek fuel ex 9.9, Gardin/Battaglin’84, Nishiki international ‘83, ‘86 panasonic dx5000, 93 mongoose amplifier

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
83-84 Battaglin

looking for a value on this old beauty.
was originally sold as a Gardin, though the BB shell and head lug are marked Battaglin. Also had some of the decals identical to period Battaglins, but the seat stays are panto’d Gardin.
frame and components are excellent
groupset is Super Record, though the rear hub is Miche.
repaint and redecal were done by me, paint is good but not great.
Thanks,
B

Likes For Bajabri:
Old 09-01-19, 01:23 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Any idea what the tubing is? Is it SLX?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-01-19, 02:24 PM
Bajabri

Bikes: ‘84 Alan sprint, Rocky Mountain Altitude 799, Trek fuel ex 9.9, Gardin/Battaglin’84, Nishiki international ‘83, ‘86 panasonic dx5000, 93 mongoose amplifier

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Any idea what the tubing is? Is it SLX?
When I tore the bike down there was remnants of a columbus decal. Not enough to read, but I seem to recall it being slx. I have owned this bike since new. I inspected the frame and could see no helical ridges anywhere, not sure exactly what or where I was looking for, so determined it was not slx. I believe I read somewhere that Joe Gardin may have misrepresented some items on occasion.
Old 09-02-19, 06:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Giovanni Battaglin started his own company after winning the 1981 Vuelta and Giro on a Pinarello, Instead of Campagnolo, his pro team's bicycles were co-sponsored by Gipemme for 1982 to 1985. The Gipemme derailleurs were manufactured by Simplex and and used a non-standard front derailleur mount. To address this issue, the early consumer frames were equipped with Gipiemme front derailleurs as standard equipment. Consequently, I believe what you have is a later model, unless it has been modified, which is a definitely possibility given the repaint decal. This might also explain the Gardin stay caps, if the repaint was the result of rear triangle damage. If Gardin performed the repairs, this would have been in the days before the widespread availability of reproduction decals and the previous owner may simply have had Gardin apply their own decals. Unfortunately, the contradictory embossing hurts the value.
Old 09-02-19, 06:19 AM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
You might go to the 'Officina Battaglin' website and contact Alessandro 'Alex' Battaglin. He might have the info you need.
Old 09-10-19, 07:30 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I'm looking seriously at buying a similar Battaglin, allegedly SLX, in a larger size. The tubing may have gone from SL in the smaller bikes to SLX for the bigger frame sizes. Common enough back in the day.

Nice job on that bike.