Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 09-09-19, 05:31 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I did the CX thing this weekend as well, 16th on Sat, 14th on Sunday hovering in the middle to upper part of the field. Sat was more disappointing in that I had bad legs and not as consistent as I usually am with power, finished behind someone who for sure doesn't have the power/weight I have on a climby course. But overall, not bad, kind of where I expected to be (ahead of the race predictor in both cases). My goal is for some top 10's this year, hopefully working out the rust with these first couple of events and will have better legs and smarter starts in the upcoming ones.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-09-19, 11:05 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 3

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Lotoja 2019. 13th? Total time 8 hours, 58 minutes. best finisher on my team.

LoToJa was weird this year. Well, it's always weird. Was in the (really) early break for the first two hours. One of the teams pulled us back and then it got real chill until the 1st climb. Another team (jeo) basically attacked the neutral feed on the first climb which is pretty BS. We all rode together after the descent. I came off just a little bit over the second climb but chased back on pretty easy. Then jeo called a pee break and one their guys rolled off the front while everyone was stopping. Not cool... Came off again on the last climb and legit thought my day was over with 100 miles to go. Somehow a group of 4 of us chased reallllly hard for almost 2 hours and we got back into the lead group. That same jeo team attacked the last feedzone again and I had no idea. One sec I'm with the group, next the guys are up the road and the rest of my day consisted of just pedaling the last 50 miles basically alone.

Weird day. Happy to finish a gain, pretty upset at some of our competitors. I know what the rules say, but there are unwritten rules too. Had really hoped for a result here, but alas, I got dropped in the same place as lat year, but made it back on this year.

2 minutes faster than lat year despite significantly slower conditions. Last year averaged 164 watts. This year averaged 180. NP of 211 for almost 9 hours.

I'm gonna call it a season. No road races left, I might hop in a few cx things over the fall (SSCX on a flat bar bike ftw!). Other than that it's just mtbing, lifting and whatever I feel like until it's time to get ready for xc skiing again!
Old 09-09-19, 11:20 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 60 Posts
Nice result @Ttoc6
@revchuck Did you do Lotojo?
Old 09-09-19, 03:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Nice result @Ttoc6
@revchuck Did you do Lotojo?
Nope, it wasn't in the budget this year. Thinking about doing it next year, though.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-10-19, 08:00 AM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 287 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
Nope, it wasn't in the budget this year. Thinking about doing it next year, though.
Okay. For some reason I thought you were training for it. How is your training?
Old 09-11-19, 02:55 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 23 Posts
3rd place in one of the 50+ weeknight CX races yesterday. My first CX podium Yay! Not much to CX race stories as there aren't a lot of tactics, more just excuses.

I do feel like I can identify the moment at the start of lap 2 when I was passed by a guy, who then lost the wheel of the 2 leaders and by the time I passed him back there was a big gap that I couldn't close. Maybe I could have dug a bit deeper, or been a bit more aggressive in that moment and stayed with the leaders. There was another race on the course that started in front of us, so a lot of the race was a matter of how fast I could pass others lagging in the other race instead of being slowed by them through technical bits. But as I said, these are just excuses and I'm pretty happy to get a 3rd place.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-17-19, 05:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 3

Bikes: CAAD 10 / CAAD X / Scalpel

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Last minute threw together a sscx machine for the series this year. Still waiting on a couple of parts, but janked it together. Running the chain through an ultegra derailleur for tension and flat bars + mtb brakes. Super fun to race. I was sitting 3rd for the entire race and flatted with half a lap to go. My poor tubular... Ran it in for 5th. Bummer...
Likes For Ttoc6: