Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone identify this vintage "Record" Rim?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 01:17 PM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Unknown rear rim. Says:

Cerchi Regondi Pavesi & C - Paderno D.

Says RECORD in pink green yellow blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01372.jpg (31.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC01375.jpg (17.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 08-24-19, 06:47 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Hijacking this thread (!). Have the same rims on my new Gardin bike but can't quite evaluate their quality.
Old 08-25-19, 11:00 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I can tell you the maker of these rims is located North of Milan, West of Monza...they seem to be a little-known brand but came on generally higher-than-mid-quality bikes, but not on very many! If they are true ride them till they wear out!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-04-20, 05:34 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread is a bit more than a year old but I recently purchased a 1997 Gardin. There's the colorful "Record" logo sticker on each rim but without any name, just "Made in Italy". The only "Record" that I was aware of is Campagnolo

Today in the mail I received the GBC 1997 price list / catalogue in which I found the Pavesi name but still no mention of "Record". Having the name Pavesi led me to this thread.

Here's what Gardin (GBC) says in their catalogue:

"Pavesi manufactures high quality rims in Italy which are distributed exclusively by G.B.C. in North America. Pavesi covers the high quality spectrum of rim types, from touring rims, to aerodynamic racing rims, right into ATB rims. The Corsa 200 has a tall V-section which makes for both a strong and aerodynamic rim which does not use eyelets. The Crosa 300 is a very high quality, 20mm box section rim that comes hard anodized with double eyelets. Pavesi's Corsa 400 is their best clincher rim for racing. It has an aero cross section, uses eyelets, and is remarkably light. The Corsa 1000 is a robust, hard anodized, tubular rim that weighs 400g. The Corsa 800 and 900 are virtually the same. Both high quality 23mm, off-road racing rims with single eyelets. The only difference is that the 800 is clear anodized while the 900 is hard anodized."

Hope this helps in anyone else's search
Likes For skidmarx:
Old 09-05-20, 07:54 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have a pair of Record rims from the 50’s. No furrels nice polish.
Old 12-12-20, 08:32 AM
walterb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I can tell you the maker of these rims is located North of Milan, West of Monza...they seem to be a little-known brand but came on generally higher-than-mid-quality bikes, but not on very many! If they are true ride them till they wear out!
if it’s true that not very many of these were made, well, I ended up with two sets!

I’m the original owner of a 1982 Bianchi - all indications point to Record 842 - that came with Ambrosio rims. At some point I swapped them out for these dark rims with the colourful sticker. Alas I don’t remember the circumstances or even the approximate year. Decades, for sure. I ride a lot on not-so-great roads here in Montreal, and they continue to look and ride great. I genuinely don’t remember EVER having them aligned, or serviced for any other issue.

Then, this past summer, I was helping my nephew and his girlfriend move into their first house. Among the items in the garage to be moved: An old Torpado (I’m guessing 1970s) that his dad had handed down to him. Plus a bunch of components that had been replaced over the years. Among them: A set of Record rims identical to mine in equally pristine condition, except for the cobwebs - on Campagnolo hubs! There’s no telling how long they had been sitting around. All I can say is the plastic rim strips literally disintegrated in my hands when I examined them.

My nephew has no use for these extra rims, so he offered them to me. My son has long admired mine, so we fitted this extra set onto his late-1980s Bianchi Campione d’Italia which, in turn, he inherited from another family member. We both noted the dark rims immediately made his bike look smaller and racier - and ride better than the original Mavics. He’s thrilled.

Apologies for the distortion in the panorama photo.

Last edited by walterb; 12-12-20 at 08:43 AM.