Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What will a new crankset offer me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 12:32 AM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I plan on replacing my 10 speed groupset with a new 105/Ultegra combination.
Right now I have 2011 era Ultegra shifters, Dura Ace derailleurs, Tiagra brakes and an FSA Gossamer Crank (53/39).
Quite the Frankenstein in components. The Tiagra brakes I understand, presumably that was stock on the Allez non-DSWs.
I get the impression that the FSA Gossamer crank is craptastic from everything I read about it. Especially the older gen that I have. However, I am not yet thinking about replacing it when I change over to 11 speed. I kind of like the 39 up climbs, its really showing me some challenges that I like. I was about to give up and go with compact, but I think my legs are finally winning that battle.
Assuming I'm okay with a non-compact setup...what will a new crankset get me? I don't think I have the power or efficiency to justify swapping it. The LBS guy said even the new 105 crank is better. I'm just trying to figure what qualities a 105 (or similarly priced) does.
This is my first road bike, I've only had a year on it...so I don't have much to compare it to.
Old 05-21-17, 01:05 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
So, apart from considering a compact b/c of gearing ratios, the cranks you have are for all intents and purposes working for you?

Generally, if you replace a part as simple as a crank(no moving parts) b/c you've READ it's bad, most perceived improvement will be from placebo, not engineering.
Still, its your money, your ride.
If you have the means and the urge, go ahead.
Old 05-21-17, 05:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Most folks report that 10-speed cranks work "okay" with 11-speed transmissions. Okay, but not optimally. Some newer FSA cranks are even labeled "10/11-speed" on the big ring and designed to work on both. If yours is not, there could be some marginal improvement in noise and shifting with a swap to a 10/11-speed model or true 11-speed one. I would use this opportunity to move up to a better crank than the Gossamer like one matching your new transmission parts or an FSA SL-K Light crank. Standard or compact is up to you.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-21-17, 06:35 AM
rayzafc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll go with full 105/ultegra. (Allez elite dsw)
Old 05-21-17, 06:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Won't give you much, but shop around as you may be able to get a full new groupset cheaper than buying a la carte. Check the U.K. sites!
Old 05-21-17, 06:44 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
what little experience I have with the shimano and FSA, the FSA was more difficult to work on as far as pulling and disassembly while the shimano was easier. but thats 3 piece vs 2 piece crank. If your like me though and you've got it in your head, you won't be happy until you upgrade.

also, rather that switching cranks what about chainrings? I switched to oval chainrings and it made a huge difference on climbing and accelerating and overall performance.
Old 05-21-17, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Generally, if you replace a part as simple as a crank(no moving parts) b/c you've READ it's bad, most perceived improvement will be from placebo, not engineering.
How much do you enjoy spending money?

If your existing crank were so bad, you wouldn't need anyone to tell you. If you cannot list a bunch of stuff your old crank isn't doing ... it is doing the job, and a new crankset would A.) Look different, and B.) Cost money.
Old 05-21-17, 07:17 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the real question is what do you have to offer a new crankset?
Old 05-21-17, 07:22 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by PumpedUpKicks
what little experience I have with the shimano and FSA, the FSA was more difficult to work on as far as pulling and disassembly while the shimano was easier.
After briefly having an FSA crankset, I swore them off in perpetuity. Will never put another FSA crank on any bike I own. Having to deal with spacers and wave washers and the like. It was ridiculous. Only Shimano for me!
Old 05-21-17, 07:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
After briefly having an FSA crankset, I swore them off in perpetuity. Will never put another FSA crank on any bike I own. Having to deal with spacers and wave washers and the like. It was ridiculous. Only Shimano for me!
Funny. I have three FSA cranksets and find them incredibly easy to install and maintain. Nothing could be easier to use to apply preload than a wave washer.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-21-17, 07:40 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
I think the real question is what do you have to offer a new crankset?
Who do you think you are, JFK?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-21-17, 07:53 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Who do you think you are, JFK?
Ask not...
Old 05-21-17, 08:52 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Funny. I have three FSA cranksets and find them incredibly easy to install and maintain. Nothing could be easier to use to apply preload than a wave washer.
You don't think fingertightening the preload bolt on a two piece Shimano system is easier? Plus having a crankset that sits flush with the bottom bracket versus an ugly and unsightly gap filled with a wave washer?

Forgot to even add the horrendous absurdity of dealing with 30mm spindles and their propensity for not sliding through the bearings without some significant force at times. Yikes!
Old 05-21-17, 09:33 AM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may also want to check that gossamer, as there was a recall on them around that time period.
Old 05-21-17, 09:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Okay and all that ... but if it is on his bike and working well ... the question remains: What can he hope to gain by using a installing a new crank?
Old 05-21-17, 09:47 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay and all that ... but if it is on his bike and working well ... the question remains: What can he hope to gain by using a installing a new crank?
Practically speaking, you will spend some money and lose some weight. I do understand wanting to upgrade though. If it were me I would look to swap out the whole group set. It is less expensive and easier. The UK vendors can assure that.
Old 05-21-17, 09:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You don't think fingertightening the preload bolt on a two piece Shimano system is easier? Plus having a crankset that sits flush with the bottom bracket versus an ugly and unsightly gap filled with a wave washer?

Forgot to even add the horrendous absurdity of dealing with 30mm spindles and their propensity for not sliding through the bearings without some significant force at times. Yikes!
How could tightening a preload bolt be easier than tightening nothing? The wave washer is an automatic preload adjustment. What could be easier than that?

I have no idea what you mean about the 30 mm spindles. While it is true that Shimano does not deal with 30 mm spindles, 24 mm spindles are readily available in other brands, e.g. FSA. The need for a 30 mm spindle is not related to your choice of drivetrain brands, but it is rather dictated by frame choice. As far as tight squeeze through the bearings, that has nothing to do with which diameter bearings you use. It is due to tolerances. A good rubber mallet, judiciously applied, makes that a total non-issue.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-21-17, 10:06 AM
beermode

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Thanks for bringing it back on topic.
Old 05-21-17, 11:25 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
Practically speaking, you will spend some money and lose some weight. I do understand wanting to upgrade though. If it were me I would look to swap out the whole group set. It is less expensive and easier. The UK vendors can assure that.
Merlin, Ribble, Chain Reaction ... there are four, i can always remember three ... . maybe Wiggle?

I used to buy pieces off Ebay, lightly used ... but i think in total I would spend less buying an entire groupset from one of the UK vendors.

Stick everything else on EBay ... people have started charging---and others paying---ridiculous prices for used bits.

That way everything is contemporary, everything works with everything else really well, and you will save a ton of money.

I can get a whole Ultegra group (brakes, shifters, BB, crankset, derailleurs, chain, some cables) for $500-$600 depending on exchange rate and sales and such ... or $150 or more for a single used Ultegra brifter.
Old 05-21-17, 11:36 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by beermode
Assuming I'm okay with a non-compact setup...what will a new crankset get me?
Less weight and/or more stiffness is the generic response. Whether those are worth it, well, that is up to you.
Old 05-21-17, 05:09 PM
beermode

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
Less weight and/or more stiffness is the generic response. Whether those are worth it, well, that is up to you.
Thanks guys. Good info.
Old 05-22-17, 01:14 AM
rayzafc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PumpedUpKicks
what little experience I have with the shimano and FSA, the FSA was more difficult to work on as far as pulling and disassembly while the shimano was easier. but thats 3 piece vs 2 piece crank. If your like me though and you've got it in your head, you won't be happy until you upgrade.

also, rather that switching cranks what about chainrings? I switched to oval chainrings and it made a huge difference on climbing and accelerating and overall performance.
Have u tried oval doval chainring? Read many positive feedback. Priced at $100, a really good upgrade?
Old 05-22-17, 05:47 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rayzafc
Have u tried oval doval chainring? Read many positive feedback. Priced at $100, a really good upgrade?
I have used AbsoluteBlack chainrings on both road and mountain bikes and have been impressed with the quality and difference in performance. I am not familiar with oval doval but I'll check it out. Thanks!