Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Giant XTC - new wheels?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Giant XTC - new wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 06:13 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Giant XTC - new wheels?

Just had my white lady (Giant XTC Composite 29'er) prepped for the summer (teardown/cleanup, new cassette, drivetrain, breakwires... the works..)... and she's very smooth again - but I can't help but feel that the wheels might deserve an upgrade. It's still got the factory wheels - and that's usually the first thing I replace on my road bikes... just don't know all that much about MTB parts. Any recommendations?

She pretty and perky though:

Old 05-30-19, 02:46 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Great looking bike! I would say it depends on your budget and what your doing. If you do any racing or want to keep it light weight, there are so nice carbon rims out there. There are also some really nice and lightweight aluminum rims too. A custom wheelset would be a good option to upgrade and could be the same price or maybe even cheaper (depending on how you build them) than a different brand wheelset.
Old 05-30-19, 06:18 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

@PumpedUpKicks Thanks for your reply! Here in Denmark it's all forest trails - but I do enjoy the speed, hence the hardtail. Yet I wouldn't say racing is a priority as I use it quite casually/recreationally - a good set of alloy rim wheels would suit me just fine, not least to mitigate impact concerns I might have with composite wheels. You mentioned nice and lightweight aluminum rims... could you point me to a pair? This isn't one of my most frequently used bikes - so not intending to invest that heavily into it... within a $1000 range preferably )
Old 05-30-19, 06:31 PM
nuxx 

Maybe a set of Hunt Trailwide?
Old 05-30-19, 07:52 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
nice clean build
QR wheels aren't too expensive now and I see them for sale often at UK and German shops. Are the current wheels tubeless? Not sure if you have Stan's over there, but they make good wheels for not a lot of money
Old 05-31-19, 04:38 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nuxx
@PumpedUpKicks Thanks for your reply! Here in Denmark it's all forest trails - but I do enjoy the speed, hence the hardtail. Yet I wouldn't say racing is a priority as I use it quite casually/recreationally - a good set of alloy rim wheels would suit me just fine, not least to mitigate impact concerns I might have with composite wheels. You mentioned nice and lightweight aluminum rims... could you point me to a pair? This isn't one of my most frequently used bikes - so not intending to invest that heavily into it... within a $1000 range preferably )
As others have mentioned Stan's NoTubes. This might be the best option. The Crest MK3 is their XC wheelset and weighs less than 1600g. From what I've read and watched the Neo hubs are supposed to be good. Not bad for $680
Another great option for a high quality ally rim would be the Boyd Cycling Kanuga. I've never read one bad word about Boyd rims/hubs and this MTB wheelset weighs 1655g and runs $700.
But with a $1000 budget you could have a wheel builder build a custom wheelset with about any alloy rim and good hubs that weigh 1500-1600g.