Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It IS about the bike.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 11:45 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts

at least where C&V is concerned.

Discuss.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-03-11, 11:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
You are not going to find much argument in here on that...
Old 08-03-11, 12:08 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You are not going to find much argument in here on that...
No doubt. I'd just like to hear some perspectives from others about their passion for the bikes they own/love/collect/restore/salvage.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-03-11, 12:15 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
see my signature
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 08-03-11, 12:17 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm getting into the mode where I've got a rotating slot in the Stable for the bike I wanna try for a little while because I've heard good things or because I'm simply curious.

Add one in for a little while, log some hours and some miles on it then move it along so the next guy can have his fun with it.

Turns out its about the Components too.
Old 08-03-11, 12:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I'm getting into the mode where I've got a rotating slot in the Stable for the bike I wanna try for a little while because I've heard good things or because I'm simply curious.

Add one in for a little while, log some hours and some miles on it then move it along so the next guy can have his fun with it.

Turns out its about the Components too.
Which is where C and V can be a let down...it's hard to take people talking about the joy of simplex derailleurs seriously after you've ridden 11sp Ergo. I grew up with DT shifters, and like em' ok, but compared to modern 11sp Ergo? It's unrefined, inconvenient, CRAP. Durability be damned!

One PB Turbo Superflash has more lighting capacity than dozens of the old SA rear lights hooked up to heavy generator hubs. Modern tech is just so much nicer, especially on the commuting stuff.
Old 08-03-11, 12:37 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I agree it can be a let down if out and out performance is what you're looking for.

On the other hand I really do believe its a Joy to pull off nice clean shifts with a Simplex Competition (aka Suicide) Front Derailleur and a Cyclo Standard twin Cable RD.....doing it right just feels like an accomplishment

But there's plenty of simplex plastic stuff that I agree is absolute garbage.

Old 08-03-11, 12:40 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
at least where C&V is concerned.

Discuss.
Yep. In racing, ideally, it's truly "not about the bike". As much as the mfrs would like us to think otherwise, top-level racing is a pretty level playing field, at least as far as technology is concerned. The best rider (usually) wins, regardless of equipment.

But in our little corner of the world, it truly is about the bike - by definition. Else-wise, why would we obsess so over "grail" bikes, period-correctness, cachet, patina vs restoration, etc?

SP
Bend, OR
Old 08-03-11, 12:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
If bikes failed to exude a particular personna we would all be doomed to Huffy.
Old 08-03-11, 12:48 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The way I look at it is this...

KAS, yes, modern stuff is smooth, positive, refined, convenient...and sterile and uninspiring.

Now before you blast me when I rode my modern Cannondale it was a joy...it was as if there was no bike under me...that was nice, and its problem since I've "found" C&V.

When I ride my 72 Newest that Suntour V-Luxe makes the neatest little noise when I get a good shift, then it purrs ever so slightly doing exactly what I imagine it doing when it was brand new.

I don't do this for out and out performance as ZB suggests...one would be silly to expect that these bikes with period correct components will outperform a modern, well-adjusted drivetrain. However, for me, it's the joy in making this "old stuff" go again that makes it so much fun to ride. And, in the end, once you get crank arm issues resolved they can be just as reliable as modern.
Old 08-03-11, 12:54 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

There is a delightful sound of a smooth RD, that nice little muffled "ker-chuk". I love the Suntour Cyclone on my Trek. Then I hop on the Motobecane Super Mirage with the Suntour Vgt with it's clunky but very positive shifts and I'm instantly taken back to the summer of '73 learning the road on my Mirage with the butt ugly Huret Allvit.

I'm 53 and the memories are really much more vivid than I can describe. Vintage is all I've ever known so technically, that isnt "vintage" in the classic sense is it?
Old 08-03-11, 12:57 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Yes, it so much easier to acheive that 17-21 pound dream bike than this:

Anyway, I don't think most of us can ever gain back the muscle mass we had as 20 year old "kids", but we can still find that SLX framed bike to buy at eBay.
So for most C&Vers I guess it is all about the bikes.....and unfortuantely,....also the money.....
Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 08-03-11 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 01:15 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
I just rode a bike with brifters for the first time, and I don't get the big deal. In fact, I've ridden a number of different bikes and I don't think any of them ride better or easier than my '63 Cinelli. Basically you pull the brake levers to stop the bike, and pull or push something to shift it, push down the pedals to make it go, and they all work pretty much the same way. I'm not trying to be facetious, I honestly don't think there's much of a difference.
Old 08-03-11, 01:16 PM
gl1000honda3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi...About the bike? Maybe..About the Joy that cycling brings? Yes...About the health benefits? Absolutely...I'm 56 years old this year, I am healthy, fit and reasonably happy...and I get excited everyday of the week getting up at 05:00 hrs and cycling into work. I love the two wheeled aspects of commuting whether it's in rain, sun, snow or freezing cold.

So is it because of the bicycle?, yes and no...is it for what the bicycle can do for me, both physically and mentally?, an affirmative Yes on this one!!!. I ask you all, how many devices in life can put you back into that comfort zone of your youth when music meant something and bicycling was the great escape...This is the feeling that keeps my legs pumping and enjoying every moment of absolute bliss on my bicycle, Priceless!!!!
Old 08-03-11, 01:28 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm a gearhead by nature. Love old machinery of all sorts. I can't afford to buy, build and finish a classic car or motorcycle. Using one of these on the street risks financial disaster. Saw a beautiful '38 Packard get T-boned in traffic. The Packard was turning left into the storage lot during rush hour. That's a hit that can take years to fix.

But I can buy a bike boom 10 speed or 1st-2nd generation mountain bike for under $50.00 with a little luck. I can fix it up and RIDE it. The most amazing part is that I can sell the bike after I've gotten my enjoyment out of it and turn a small profit.

Years ago, I learned my truth. Cars are nice, but just not that interesting. Motorcycles are great, but just machines to me. Bikes are alive.
Old 08-03-11, 01:37 PM
rookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is for me. After all, I just bought a Bianchi, not knowing if it would fit or anything about it, plus ordered Celeste tape when I have never ridden a road bike. My first attempt yesterday (up and down my street) was bordering on hysterical for onlookers. I couldn't even let go of the bars to change gears!

BUT it is quite nice looking!
Old 08-03-11, 01:39 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rookgirl
It is for me. After all, I just bought a Bianchi, not knowing if it would fit or anything about it, plus ordered Celeste tape when I have never ridden a road bike. My first attempt yesterday (up and down my street) was bordering on hysterical for onlookers. I couldn't even let go of the bars to change gears!

BUT it is quite nice looking!
...and so it starts. Welcome to the asylum
Old 08-03-11, 01:44 PM
rookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So 3 speeds are the gateway drug for road bikes. Oh dear, I'm really screwed now. I already have 6 bikes in the shed...
Old 08-03-11, 01:45 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
I just rode a bike with brifters for the first time, and I don't get the big deal. In fact, I've ridden a number of different bikes and I don't think any of them ride better or easier than my '63 Cinelli. Basically you pull the brake levers to stop the bike, and pull or push something to shift it, push down the pedals to make it go, and they all work pretty much the same way. I'm not trying to be facetious, I honestly don't think there's much of a difference.
+1. I've only ridden with brifters a few times, and I'm not in a hurry to "upgrade" my DT shifters. I know there are a lot of less experienced riders who find it daunting to steer with one hand while shifting. And, in a race environment, I can understand the advantages of being able to shift while climbing out of the saddle or in mid-sprint (though choosing the proper gear before starting a sprint may be a lost art). Personally, when I go on club rides, I do not feel disadvantaged or encumbered by DT shifters. But having more gears would be nice...

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 08-03-11, 01:46 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
@ Keith and Dan:

I fully agree that it can be fun to ride anachromisms, but I also think that sometimes people here get carried away when they talk about the functionality of a Suntour derailleur with simplex levers. Yes, they work - no, they don't work as well as modern stuff from any objective perspective (excluding durability/price). At least that's my opinion (objectivity be damned!). It's especially amusing to me when "practical" cyclists are extolling the virtues of something that doesn't work as well as things that are modern. I've got my bikes with DT shifters, and usually they're just fine for me - but let's be honest - Ergos are NICE and very, very smooth. I don't find them sterile, I find them perfect.

The high gear counts newer bikes use lead to smoother shifting, and the joy of Ergos is more than just speed or advantage for racing/club rides; they're easier and thus I can spend more time focusing on the road and my surroundings. I'm not one of those people daunted by DT shifters; I grew up with them, but let's be honest - Ergos are convenient. They're also more comfie in my hand.
Old 08-03-11, 01:49 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by rookgirl
So 3 speeds are the gateway drug for road bikes. Oh dear, I'm really screwed now. I already have 6 bikes in the shed...
Hi, my name is _______ and I'm a gear-a-holic.

My first multi speed was a 50's Royce Union 3sp with all the stuff intact for 25.00 back in '69.
Old 08-03-11, 01:56 PM
rookgirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think it's necessary to use them, or can I just look at it and feel pleased that I own a Bianchi that fits?
Old 08-03-11, 02:21 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

One of my favourites that I am willing to send to a new home... one thing about my bikes is that I need to be able to ride them hard and often.

There really is something about riding a bike with parts and technology that dates back to the late 40's and was still being used in the late 50's which still works so beautifully.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
edith2010spring1.jpg (100.0 KB, 18 views)
edith2010spring3.jpg (99.0 KB, 17 views)
edith2010springjuy543.jpg (98.3 KB, 17 views)
edith2010springst1.jpg (93.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-03-11, 02:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I agree it can be a let down if out and out performance is what you're looking for.

On the other hand I really do believe its a Joy to pull off nice clean shifts with a Simplex Competition (aka Suicide) Front Derailleur and a Cyclo Standard twin Cable RD.....doing it right just feels like an accomplishment

But there's plenty of simplex plastic stuff that I agree is absolute garbage.

We seem to have similar tastes... but that white chain has to go.

Old 08-03-11, 02:27 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I personally admire just about anything built with decent (not even expensive) components and features more than 7 "speeds". I enjoy working on the same. Is it all about the bike? Well, if you take bike out of bicycling you just have a sickling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.