Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help me ID/value my buddy's Marukin frame

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 03-27-13, 04:48 PM
nickp08

Bikes: 2011 cannondale caad8-6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Glad I found this section of the site! My buddy recently asked me if I could help him figure out an asking price for his bike since it's way too big for him and he wants to sell it. He sent me a few pictures that are below. He said the model/serial numbers are nowhere to be found. All he knows is that it's made by Marukin. Looks like 12 speeds. Suntour components in the back (not sure about the FD). I'm guessing that it's from the 80's but that's about it. Any help? I'm just trying to get more information on the model and age so I can try to help him research pricing and what the market might be, but any guidance on value is very appreciated.

EDIT: The RD is a suntour Honor and per this link, looks like the 1100 model:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...281100%29.html

Pics below, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

Last edited by nickp08; 03-27-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 02:47 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
The bicycle presented is of entry level quality, but appears to be in reasonably nice condition, however; the frame is quite large. I am not sure how strong the NY market is but the most most people would pay would be $50.00, if that.
Old 03-28-13, 06:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Steel, 27" rims, stem shifters and stamped dropouts are indicative of entry level models with hi-tensile steel frames. The SunTour Honor rear derailleur and center-pull brakes (presumibly Dia-Compe) are also indicative of an entry level model. The most interesting component is the crankset, It's not the typical cottered steel crankset on the boom era models. While it is cotterless, it doesn't appear to be any of the standard aluminum models but a steel version. If so, this would place it post boom, probably very late 1970s to very early 1980s. That would be in agreement with a 12 speed.

The bicycle's manufacture was probably contracted by Marukin to a different company. The big clue is that the label states "designed by Marukin". Typically this indicates is was contract manufactured.

Serial numbers can be stamped just about anywhere on the frame. The most common locations are the bottom bracket shell, rear dropouts, lower section of the seat tube, seat lug and collars of the head lugs. If you find one, I may be able identify the manufacturer and exact year. Baring that, you could also check for date codes, which are usually stamped on the back sides of the major coponents. They can be identified and decrypted using the information on the components page of the Vintage -Trek webste. Component codes are usually not much farther than a year off of the actual manufacturing date.

As to value, there's not much there. Normally, I'd place this in the $75-$100 range but the large size does typically knock down the price. I think you are looking at $50-$75 in an average market.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-28-13 at 06:06 AM.