Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What tools are these?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What tools are these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 11:06 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
What tools are these?

Hi

I bought a random box of tools and there are a few I'm not sure what they are. The one on the left I'm not even sure is a bike tool. I'm guessing the one that looks like a T is a tool for the chainring bolts. The one next to it I'm guessing is a key to wind up a toy?

Also, there were some chains included stamped with PC 951 on the links and K8 on some of the links. Would this be usable for my 5-7 speed rear cogs?

Thanks

Old 03-26-20, 11:29 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
The one on the left is a crank puller--actually a car tool, I believe, but useful for pulling off a crank that has stripped threads so you can't get the normal tool to work. And I'm pretty sure the one on the right is for tightening the cap on a modern BB/crank system like the Shimano Hollowtech stuff.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 03-26-20, 11:56 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
That T-handled thing with the three prongs on the end is likely a chainring bolt driver.
Old 03-26-20, 12:01 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
The piece with the green tape is for a Shimano hollowtech II crank preload cap and the Park tool tool is a dummy pedal to turn the crank when no pedals are installed.
Old 03-26-20, 12:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...back when they were not solid state ignitions, I used to use a three armed puller about that size and configuration to pull the flywheel off my lawnmower engines to access the stuff you needed to service. I guess you could use it to pull other stuff, like on a bike, but I never have because there are other things that work better for me.
Old 03-26-20, 12:14 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
The Park Tool is a hamster restraint device. The veterinarian slips the wire end over the head and behind the ears of an aggressive hamster with sharp chisel-like teeth, and turns the rear disc to tighten the wire gently but firmly around the hamsters neck area. The rigid nature of the tool keeps the business end of the hamster a safe distance away from the good doctor's healing hands and helps control the hamster during a physical examination.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-26-20, 12:21 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Yes, the tool on the left is a universal puller. I use mine to pull the harmonic balancer off a Chevy V8, but I've also used it to pull a (bicycle) crank that has the extractor threads stripped out.
Old 03-26-20, 01:03 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
The Park Tool is a hamster restraint device. The veterinarian slips the wire end over the head and behind the ears of an aggressive hamster with sharp chisel-like teeth, and turns the rear disc to tighten the wire gently but firmly around the hamsters neck area. The rigid nature of the tool keeps the business end of the hamster a safe distance away from the good doctor's healing hands and helps control the hamster during a physical examination.
Ah a multi purpose tool. Fantastic. I have a cousin who's a vet I might be able to sell it to her.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There were other tools in the bins but I could make most of them out. What exactly I'm going to do with 6 pedal wrenches, 12 pin spanners, 18 headset wrenches, multiple cone wrenches, 6 bottom bracket lock ring tools, a dozen chains that apparently are 8 or 9 speed so I can't use, and some other bits and pieces I'm not exactly sure just yet.

There was a nice big park tool stand but I didn't think I could fit it in my small car or in my wallet. Unfortunately I didn't see any truing stands or derailleur alignment tools, which I would have wanted. Or maybe I should have looked in that third bin she had for sale. I didn't want to overplay my hand by digging through it and looking too interested. Well, I got what I could get.

Bye.
Old 03-26-20, 02:02 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
The one on the left is a crank puller--actually a car tool, I believe, but useful for pulling off a crank that has stripped threads so you can't get the normal tool to work.............
Usually called a "gear puller" in the auto world....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 03-26-20, 02:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Ah a multi purpose tool. Fantastic. I have a cousin who's a vet I might be able to sell it to her.

Thanks for all the replies guys. There were other tools in the bins but I could make most of them out. What exactly I'm going to do with 6 pedal wrenches, 12 pin spanners, 18 headset wrenches, multiple cone wrenches, 6 bottom bracket lock ring tools, a dozen chains that apparently are 8 or 9 speed so I can't use, and some other bits and pieces I'm not exactly sure just yet.

There was a nice big park tool stand but I didn't think I could fit it in my small car or in my wallet. Unfortunately I didn't see any truing stands or derailleur alignment tools, which I would have wanted. Or maybe I should have looked in that third bin she had for sale. I didn't want to overplay my hand by digging through it and looking too interested. Well, I got what I could get.

Bye.
sounds like an art project to me

Old 03-26-20, 04:26 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

This thread reminded me.... If you lose your wind up key to your toy train, try your spoke wrench
Likes For big chainring:
Old 03-26-20, 05:06 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,691 Times in 2,611 Posts
But will it work on a gerbil? Likely VAR makes a competing tool.
Old 03-26-20, 06:59 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
SnapOff has one you can buy wih a payment plan
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-26-20, 07:25 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
For the Park Tool, the answer is Yes. However, gerbils run a bit smaller than hamsters and the smallest of them can sometimes slip out of the loop.
In those cases it helps to place small diameter polyethylene tube around the loop. A used IV line works well. The smaller gerbils seem to tolerate the loop better and are more calm with this modification.
It's been said the purpose of the threaded end is to serve as the point of attachment for a 12" extension rod to allow its use in human hospital emergency rooms as a gerbil extraction tool.
But I really can't confirm that and, quite frankly, don't believe a single word of it.

I've never checked into VAR, but I bet you're right.
I'm sure CYCLUS would make a very nice one too, but I never looked into them either.

Man, I wish I had saved my responses for April 1.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 03-26-20, 08:00 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
The one on the left is a crank puller--actually a car tool, I believe, but useful for pulling off a crank that has stripped threads so you can't get the normal tool to work. And I'm pretty sure the one on the right is for tightening the cap on a modern BB/crank system like the Shimano Hollowtech stuff.
Found this on a Trek 610 after the purchase and after using a standard bicycle crank removal tool. Now it is on my check list when buying a bike.
P1000181, on Flickr
Old 03-27-20, 03:05 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Best Laugh Of The Day

It's been said the purpose of the threaded end is to serve as the point of attachment for a 12" extension rod to allow its use in human hospital emergency rooms as a gerbil extraction tool. But I really can't confirm that and, quite frankly, don't believe a single word of it.
Best laugh of the day, thanks I needed that...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)